How to Hollow Out a Tree Stump to Use as a Planter?

I have a new, fresh tree stump in my front yard. I decided not to have the stump ground down because I want to use it as a planter. It is a fairly large stump, measuring about 2’ in diameter. It is from an oak tree.

My basic idea was to drill holes using a large spade type bit, then get what remains out with a hammer & large chisel. This is a lot easier to say than do, so I decided to toss the problem out here & see if anyone has a better suggestion.

How would you go about this?

Hmmm… just an uneducated guess but could you burn out the part that’s hard to chisel? I think I might try doing what you could with a drill or chainsaw to get the basic shape started and then slather something flammable, sterno perhaps?, on the area you’d like to cavity and just keep an eye on it.

What a question! The only thing I can think of that might even begin to work without a lot of labor (and I am not at all sure even of this) is one of those thingies that they use to bore holes in solid rock.

Don’t know what they are or where to rent one…doubt they do rent them, come to think of it, can’t be that much occasional demand for 'em…

What I’m thinking of is what they use to bore for core samples or holes for dynamite. If it’ll go thru rock, it should work on that tree stump.

I realize this is about zero help, but you’ve stumped me.

OK, OK, I have it coming, I’ll save 6,000 Dopers the trouble:
LiveOnAPlane<------------ :wally

One more thing… once you’ve got it hollowed you’ll probably have to insure some kind of drainage exists, either through natural cracks or you may need to drill a hole from the bottom out one side of the trunk. Also, those spagnum or straw liners might serve you well here, the same ones as people use in hanging baskets.

We cut down a tree in the front yard, then bought a large, circular wooden planter box and bolted it to the top of the stump. A hell of a lot easier than trying to scoop it out. Looked quite nice.

However, the tree kept sprouting from all sides around the stump and driving us crazy, so we eventually cut it way down to ground level, put in some “stump killer” stuff we bought at Home Depot and put a couple of large boulders where it used to be.

This article might help: http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/environment/forestry/urban_forestry/Stump+Removal+from+Home+Grounds.htm

I buried my wife unde a tree stump and planted flowers in the hollowed out remains. Whenever they blossomed they taunted me, “Everyone knows, everyone knows.” Eventually I burned down the stump,to the ground, and the house and her parents; and moved interstate.

I’ve helped hollow out a stump for armouring before, it’s generally enough to drill some holes then mallet-and-chisel.

Since you want something deeper, might I suggest drilling the holes first, then using a blowtorch to char the wood, making it easier to chisel out?

That was going to be my suggestion.

Take off and nuke the stump from orbit; it’s the only way to be sure.

Personally, I think you’d be better off with auger bits than spades, especially if you’re drilling a series of holes that might accidentally cross each other at depth; a spade bit can jam in deep holes and in a deep, veritcally-downwards hole, it’s also possible for the bit to get irretrievably wedged in by its own waste.

If it’s a fresh stump burning will be difficult.

Last summer my neighbor cut down a few rickety old trees. We got to talking one night and we drilled a buch of 3/8" holes in one stump. Then poured in lantern fuel and watched it burn away like a bunch of big candles. Didn’t to jack shit to the wood.

I also vote for the auger, big ass hammer and chisles and think about drainage.

Maybe start with an axe after drilling, if you trust your aim.

Back in the 60’s it would have taken about 20 minutes to do the whole job with dynamite. Pesky regulations.