How do I treat a broken fingernail.

The nail on my little finger broke, and its too far down in the nail to trim away.

Somewhere in the distant past I heard that some folks simply Scotch Tape the break.

I was mildly considering crazy glue or some other, possibly safer glue (Elmer’s?).

Any suggestions?

Yeah, if you’re right now trying to put off inevitable pain, Krazy Glue or the like would probably work. They use it at nail salons all the time, IME. You might be better off to go to the drugstore and pick up a “nail repair kit” that will have maybe a thin sheet of silk or something that you’d trim to size and yes, Krazy Glue in place.

Thanks, RSSchen. I have to pick up an RX this afternoon, so I’ll look for a nail repair kit.

Good idea.

I use clear nail polish and a teabag cut to the shape of my nail. Works ok.

I clip as close to the edge as possible, so I won’t tear it off painfully. Generally in a day or two the nail has grown out so you can clip off the break.

At my local drugstore, the Pharmacy Tech took me to the glue section where I picked up a crazy glue pkg. On the way back she told me she didn’t like the idea of my using crazy glue on my broken fingernail. So, she brings the Pharmacist in on this life or death matter, who then takes me to the nail section of the store and finds a glue specifically designed for the purpose.

On the way, this lady tells me she uses super glue on her broken fingernails but can’t recommend it for her clientele (patients?). Anyway, she finds the product and we head back to the Pharmacy.

She takes ther Super Glue product I had and compares the ingredients to the nail repair pkg. Same kind of glue. LOL.

I thanked both of the ladies profusely, telling them I must have used up all my extra help so I better not come back for two weeks.

Back home, I have applied the glue and I am right with the world. It’s called “Brush on Nail Glue,” which is what I did and which solved my problem. Every home should have some - particularly Ivylass’s and Kalhoun’s. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thank you all — especially RSSchen who was on the money (in my case).