Is 6' tall for a man?

I’ve read a lot of books where typically a physical description can be something like “He was a big guy. Tall. Almost 6 feet.”
Now, being 6’3" myself, I don’t consider 6’ to be tall, slightly above average, maybe, but not tall. Yet I find this description often enough to suspect that my perspective might be skewed. Or are most writers tiny guys?

According to this , 6’ is only just a bit more than average height for men in most part of the world. I’d term anything from 6’3" onwards as being tall (enough that I have to crane my neck to look up at you fellas up there.)

The average American man is 5’9" or 5’10" tall - this New Yorker article says average is 5’9.5". So “almost six feet” isn’t particularly tall in an objective sense, but heights are so often mentioned comparatively. “Big” has even more meanings than “tall,” since I think it tends to connote a sturdy or stocky build even in a shorter man.

And yes, some of us writers are short. :wink:

Height norms vary by geographical region/ethnic population and by time period. Average height tends to increase or decrease depending on nutrition, and has increased for much of the twentieth century. So if you’re reading, say, British or American books from before the mid-twentieth century, it wouldn’t be at all surprising to find a six-foot man described as “tall” in them. However, six feet is still taller than average today; see below.

Wikipedia on human height:

You can see from the accompanying chart in the link that average height for modern males is a few inches shorter than six feet in most of the sampled countries. Note that those countries are heavily skewed towards populations of western European descent; the only ethnically non-“Caucasian” population included is that of Japan, whose average height is considerably shorter.

So even in most of the well-nourished first world countries, a six-foot man is still taller than average. So I’d say yes, your perspective is probaby skewed by your own extreme height.

Cool! Then I used the right link. :wink:

The standard deviation for Australian men is about 7cm, so I wouldnt say you’re ‘tall’ till you’re at least into the second deviation, ie 186cm for a male 18-24 years old, just over 6’ 1".

Of course even at 178cm you’re as tall or taller than 50% of men assuming a bell curve, and taller than most men once you go over that.
Otara

Just remember, I’m 6’5" and I eat punks like you for breakfast.

We did a “tallest Doper” thread once. Anyone remember who it was?

I’m 6’1" and to be honest I don’t notice that I’m that much taller than other men. I guess I’m taller than most guys, but not so much that anyone cares.

It does seem to me that the younger you are, the taller you seem to be; high school kids these days seem really, really tall, much taller than I remember them being when I was in high school, which was only sixteen years ago. When I stroll aorund the mall on my lunch hour I’m always amazed at the number of high school kids who’re 6’3 and taller. Huge, huge kids. Perhaps prenatal care and such is getting them off to a quicker start.

I used to think I was a tall guy when I was six feet tall. But I’ve come up a quarter-inch shy on my last measurement, despite straining my posture to the max, and now I feel all puny and insignificant. :frowning:

When you’re 5’ 1", the whole world is tall. I hang around with my MIL for this reason. She’s 4’ 9" at best. I like to rest cocktails on her head.

You’re still in the Netherlands, right? Your cite says the Dutch are among the tallest in the world. Do you notice that? I haven’t been over there for about 10 years, but that’s one thing I remember. I’m 6" 2", and I just felt like an averaged height guy in that country!

Now I know where to shop for tall women’s dresses.

I’m 6’, I’ve never considered myself tall. I would say I’m about average because I always see people taller and shorter than me everywhere I go.

According to this thread, Giraffe is 6’8" and Mullinator is 6’10".

Y’know, you’d think a guy named Giraffe would win a Tallest Doper contest…

You would think. Assuming the distribution of heights is about the same in America as it is in Australia, giraffe is about 3.7 standard deviations above the mean. I don’t feel like calculating the exact percentage of the population that’s shorter than him, but it’s well over 99%.

I’m 6’2", and I don’t consider myself tall. I know plenty of guys taller than myself.

That makes Mullinator the same height as the guy who plays Hagrid in the long shots - Martin Bayfield, some time England Rugby Union line-out forward. (He did some post-match interviews during this year’s Six Nations series and it was amusing seeing interviewee after interviewee craining their necks to look at this person who was out of shot.)

Six foot eight is giraffe-like enough for me though. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m aware what average height is, but that’s only statistics. I’m more interested in why writers woud describe someone 6’ as tall and if the perception would be that it is indeed tall, as opposed to average.
I tend to see this in crime stories from the 50’s and 60’s and I guess average height has gone up.