Those Above-Ground Tombs-Do They Keep Bodies fresher?

You see them in cemetaries-stone buildings with windows. In them, the caskets are entombed in stone boxes above ground. Given that they are above the ground water, does that mean that these corpses will last loger? Are we talking >100 years? Or do they turn to dust just like the bodies in the ground?

Key factors in keeping a body from decomposing are:

• antiseptic condition. That’s why the egyptians removed the internal organs, which contain bacteria, from their mummies. Modern embalming serves much the same purpose. But this is probably about the same for in-ground burial vs. crypt burial.

• cool temperature. Burial in a crypt will vary from frozen in the winter to quite warm in the summer, while in-ground burial will be pretty consistently cool temp year-round. Not much effect either way.

• keeping out air and water. Probably the major factor. But that depends on the air- and water-tightness of the casket. And similar caskets can be used for either in-ground burial or crypt burial. Many cemetaries require vaults for in-ground burials, and they are sometimes air-tight – that might help preserve in-ground burials longer.

But in most cases, these bodies do indeed return to dust eventually.

They are mausoleums.

mau·so·le·um Pronunciation Key (môs-lm, -z-)
n. pl. mau·so·le·ums or mau·so·le·a (-l)

1. A large stately tomb or a building housing such a tomb or several tombs.
  2. A gloomy, usually large room or building.

Usually more pretensious than a large monument.

We all return to the dust of the earth unless the sun goes super nova!

You sure about this one? I’ve read (no cite…) that air-right caskets actually speed decomposition by promoting the growth of putrifying aneorobic bacteria.

Ther is no such thing as an air tight casket. Decomposition produces gases, which must have a way to vent, or the casket would rupture.

This sounds like it would make a GREAT jingle for mausoleum builders/manufacturers.

Nothing’ll keep you fresher!
Fresher whatever the weather!
Nobody does it better!
Maus-o-leeeeeeee-ums.

Or you know that Outkast song “So Fresh and So Clean”? That would work too. :slight_smile:

Well, that’s where the first item I mentioned (antiseptic condition) comes in. But you’re right, bodies are rarely completely antiseptic.

So if a coffin is airtight, aneorobic bacteria will cause decomposition. If it’s not airtight, then normal bacteria will get in and cause decomposition.

In the end, almost all bodies decompose.

All the effort in embalming, coffins, concrete vaults, etc. just makes the process take a bit longer.

You just have to burp it periodically.

Bodies are never completely antiseptic. Except for fetuses, who have sterile meconium. But even they are coated with bacteria shortly after exiting the sterile womb.

(That’s if the womb was sterile. Premature rupture of membranes / ascending amniotic infection, anyone?)

Everyone else other than fetuses contains shit, at ten to the tenth bacteria per ml.

Trust me. Even when the rest all mummifies, short of the use of Egyptian embalming techniques, the guts still putrefy.

Modern embalming does not take the guts out. Sloshes some formaldehyde around the peritoneal cavity and lets the bugs within the guts do what they will. Ergo, nobody’s sterile. The bugs eventually make their way out to less embalmed tissues.

We occasionally have to autopsy embalmed bodies and I must say the quality of the embalming varies tremendously. Some are so stiff with formaldehyde that the belly skin hasn’t even turned green, and others go on decomposing on the autopsy table.

I was thinking a ziplock-type bag commercial…

1. No. They don’t keep a body fresher.
  2. If I dug up a Body . . . Cecil on decomposition
  3. http://www.deathonline.net/decomposition/index.htm Australian Museum online exhibit on decomposition
  4. http://www.experienceneworleans.com/deadcity.html discussion of Mausoleums in New Orleans
  5. Carlson, Lisa, Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) discusses a case where a coffin was completely sealed. She points out that the “seal” on modern caskets is really a one-way gasket, designed to avoid the accumulation of gas.
  6. http://www.who.or.id/eng/contents/aceh/wsh/cdrr0595managing%20cadavers.pdf (pdf) more than you ever wanted to know about the contents of caskets that get dug up.

I did find this:

(Emphasis added).

http://archlab.uindy.edu/Nawrocki1991.html

I have added you to my “List of Folks I Would Never Trade Jobs With”. :wink:

"Those Above-Ground Tombs-Do They Keep Bodies fresher?"

Regardless, you’re still probably going to want to check the expiration date.

Does your decomposing corpse ever have that… not-so-fresh feeling?

Aw, c’mon. It’s fun in there.

You guys have failed to address the most important question. Which method of burial seals in the flavor?

Marc

Ya know, I’ve done PMs on dogs that were out in the sun a few days before they were found. It’s not something I “enjoy”, but I am not repulsed either. Just a part of the job. But there is something different (in my mind) when it is a human.

Years ago I passed on the chance to watch the video of my cholecystectomy. I woulda if it were someone else, but I was icked by the thought of viewing inside my own peritoneum. shivers

I’ve met Cyril Wecht, doess that count? :smiley: