Old 08-01-2006, 09:57 AM

Bad choice for The Joker

Sorry but IMHO Heath Ledger doesn't carry the weight necessary to play this crucial role.

Rumored to have been in the running was Christopher Eccleston (Elizabeth, Gone in 60 Seconds, etc). He would have been a much better choice.

My excitement for this movie has just plunged.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaBob
Sorry but IMHO Heath Ledger doesn't carry the weight necessary to play this crucial role.

Rumored to have been in the running was Christopher Eccleston (Elizabeth, Gone in 60 Seconds, etc). He would have been a much better choice.

What movie?

Link?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The Dark Knight. Sequel to Batman Begins.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
What movie?

Link?
This one, i'm guessing.

Hugo Weaving would have been a good shout, imo.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:23 AM

Whoops - I thought it was obvious, but its for the next Batman movie "The Dark Knight".

Read this.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:26 AM

I was rooting for Paul Bettany.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:27 AM

I still think Crispin Glover would make a great joker. He's tall, thin and does creepy really well.
Heat Ledger is too young and pretty IMO.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:32 AM

Well, what's wrong with Jack Nicholson?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist
Well, what's wrong with Jack Nicholson?
He was too old and fat for the role 18 years ago.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

ad Choices for The Joker

Wayne Knight
Josh Weinstein
Horatio Sanz
Charo
Rondo Hatton
Old 08-01-2006, 10:39 AM

I don't know, he's awfully good beyond just being a pretty boy. Plus, he's not all that young anymore. I'm betting he'll do a damn fine job. (Of course I have all kinds of faith in the writers-directors producers of this go round since they're the first people to actually make a Batman movie and get it right. (I mean, you know, apart from Timm)
Old 08-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Brokeback Joker?
Old 08-01-2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam yax
Brokeback Joker?
Cue the Batman/Joker slash fanfiction.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

I agree with Crispin Glover - creepy/smart

I thought Cillian Murphy was kinda wasted as the Scarecrow - he had that dead-eye creepy intelligence thing going that couple with his wiry build made me see him as Joker when I was watching the movie.

Heath Ledger can act, I will give him that - but his most notable role thus far is for BBM, where his character was supposed to keep his feelings all in - the Joker is the exact opposite...
Old 08-01-2006, 11:18 AM

Well, thank goodness they already used Jim Carey in a previous Batman movie...

How about Sean Hayes?
Old 08-01-2006, 11:29 AM
BANNED

Ledger is a good actor and Christopher Nolan has shown the ability to be able to adapt the material in an intelligent, believable way, without laughing at it and without beoming overwhelmed by FX or CGI. Of course, the fact that Batman has no "superpowers" makes it easier to ground the franchise in reality but some of Nolan's other ideas helped as well (I think that Bruce Wayne's deliberate choice to make Batman a "symbol" helped with the credibility of the costume, for instance).

I'm willing to trust the director on this and have some faith that he'll find a take on the Joker (and the casting) that will work for his vision of the mythology.

I think Katie Holmes is the real albotross for the franchise.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaBob

Considering how well they cast the first one, and how unusually they intend to play it with casting Heath Ledger at all, I think it's too early to cast any kind of judgement.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:32 AM

Would your first choice for "Capote" have been Philip Seymour Hoffman? Give him a chance.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgryphon
(Of course I have all kinds of faith in the writers-directors producers of this go round since they're the first people to actually make a Batman movie and get it right. (I mean, you know, apart from Timm)
That's what it comes down to, really. They could have actually cast Wayne Knight and I'd still have faith. Batman Begins was just that good.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:43 PM

Damn. I was kinda hoping for Paul Reubens.

I hope the sequel is better than the first. It was very well-produced, but the story kinda limped a bit in the end.

[rant]And I was just watching the bonus features disc, where the director and screenplay-writer-guy were both bragging that, before this film, no one had explored Bruce Wayne's life between his parents' murders and his first gig as Batman. All while showing clips from Frank Miller's (brilliant) "Batman Year One" comic, which focuses on exactly this aspect of the character. Hell, I remember reading a comic series as a kid that started just before the muders, and ended with his first or second adventure as the Dark Knight. I don't kow where the director was coming from with his boast that no one's done this before, but it didn't exactly inspire confidence in me...[/rant]
Old 08-01-2006, 01:52 PM

I think Heath will do fine, but I too laud the idea of Paul Bettany playing the Joker. He could so do it.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menocchio
That's what it comes down to, really. They could have actually cast Wayne Knight and I'd still have faith. Batman Begins was just that good.
[Seinfeld]Hello, Joker.[/Seinfeld]
Old 08-01-2006, 02:34 PM

Ledger has a creepy smile... He'll do just fine.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
[rant]And I was just watching the bonus features disc, where the director and screenplay-writer-guy were both bragging that, before this film, no one had explored Bruce Wayne's life between his parents' murders and his first gig as Batman.
I don't think it's much of a stretch to interpret that to mean "nobody had ever explored that part of his life on screen". Or to put it another way, nobody had ever done a film or TV adaptation of the material in Batman: Year One.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:57 PM

Edward Norton? Alan Cumming? Hi, Opal?
Old 08-01-2006, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos
I don't think it's much of a stretch to interpret that to mean "nobody had ever explored that part of his life on screen". Or to put it another way, nobody had ever done a film or TV adaptation of the material in Batman: Year One.
Unless you've seen Batman: Mask of the Phantasm which interpretted a good bulk of Year One and Year Two.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

The guy who played Joker in this movie was pretty cool, and the movie itself is damn nifty.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Maybe he actually will play Jack Napier!!
Old 08-01-2006, 06:40 PM
BANNED

It's just a rumor, so far, and the title isn't official either.

Heath Ledger is more than a pretty face; I think he could pull it off.

Come to think of it, Jake Gyllenhaal, his costar in Brokeback Mountain, would be a good Joker.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Cesar Romero as the Joker will never be bested.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push You Down
Ledger has a creepy smile... He'll do just fine.
Agreed. It's a bit too wide, just like every good Joker should have. Give the boy a chance!
Old 08-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Fight
Agreed. It's a bit too wide, just like every good Joker should have. Give the boy a chance!
That picture just sold me on him playing the Joker.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers
The guy who played Joker in this movie was pretty cool, and the movie itself is damn nifty.

Dayum, I'd pay to see that!

Of course he should adopt the Nightwing personna rather than go back to being Robin.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:02 AM

Mark Hamil doing the voice for a CGI Joker (a la Gollum) would have been interesting.

Or hey...Andy Serkis as the Joker! (Couldn't be any worse than Catwoman)

Or if we're going for other Ledger coastars, there's always Alan Tudyk.

Eh, only time will tell, I suppose.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller
That picture just sold me on him playing the Joker.
Same here. But I could see Crispin Glover or Edward Norton in the role as well. To tell the truth, Batman Begins was so damn good that they could cast Drew Carey as the Joker in the sequel and I'd still see it.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldwin
It's just a rumor, so far, and the title isn't official either.
Not a rumor. Here's the official press release.

Quote:
BURBANK, CA, 31 July 2006 – As a follow up to last year’s blockbuster Batman Begins, Christopher Nolan is set to direct Warner Bros. Pictures’ The Dark Knight, written by Jonathan Nolan, based on a story by Christopher Nolan and David Goyer. The film will be produced by Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Christopher Nolan. Additionally, Christian Bale will resume his role as Bruce Wayne and Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger has been cast as The Joker. The announcements were made today by Jeff Robinov, President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.
Christopher Nolan revamped the Batman franchise in 2005 with the immensely successful Batman Begins, starring Christian Bale in the title role, which chronicled the early years of the superhero. Nolan first garnered attention from critics and fans in 2000 with the groundbreaking drama Memento, which he wrote and directed. He went on to direct the thriller Insomnia, starring Al Pacino and Robin Williams, and recently wrapped production on The Prestige, with Hugh Jackman and Bale.

Bale was most recently seen in the ensemble cast of Terrence Malick’s The New World. His other credits include Little Women, Portrait of a Lady, Metroland, American Psycho, Laurel Canyon and Steven Spielberg’s Empire of the Sun, which was his first starring role.

Ledger most recently earned Oscar Golden Globe, BAFTA and SAG Award nominations and won the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor for his portrayal of Ennis Del Mar in the award-winning drama Brokeback Mountain. His other credits include Casanova, Monster’s Ball, Lords of Dogtown, The Brothers Grimm and The Patriot.

“Chris’ unique vision is what made Batman Begins such an outstanding film and we could not imagine anyone else at the helm of The Dark Knight,” said Robinov. “We also can’t wait to see two such formidable actors as Christian and Heath face off with each other as Batman and The Joker.”

“I'm excited to continue the story we started with Batman Begins,” added Nolan. “Our challenge in casting The Joker was to find an actor who is not just extraordinarily talented but fearless. Watching Heath Ledger's interpretation of this iconic character taking on Christian Bale’s Batman is going to be incredible.”

Production is set to begin on The Dark Knight in early 2007.

Nolan and Ledger are represented by CAA.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes the Cynic

I think Katie Holmes is the real albotross for the franchise.

Are they bringing her back?
Old 08-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Who'd make a good Joker?

Let's see, insane, creepy, white skin.

I'm thinking Michael Jackson.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham
Wayne Knight
Josh Weinstein
Horatio Sanz
Charo
Rondo Hatton
Do you have any idea how much money I'd pay to see Charo as the Joker? Do you?
Old 08-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do you have any idea how much money I'd pay to see Charo as the Joker? Do you?

How about if she played Harley Quinn?

What if Wayne Knight did?
Old 08-02-2006, 04:27 PM

Honestly, I'm a little apprehensive about the Joker being part of the real-world film franchise. In short, the character just doesn't work all that well in real-life. There are some great Joker stories in the comics, and his incarnation in BatmanTAS was probably the best possible. But with real life people, its just a liscence to overact (Nicholson) and the character just doesn't translate well. I know that he's sort of become Batman's signature villian, but there are so many other great Batman stories they could tell that involve much creepier and cinematic villians that don't chew the scenery. This incarnation of Batman is fit for a real detective noir story: a sort of L.A. Confidential of Gotham. What they need to do is focus on the things that made Year One great. Batman should declare war on the corrupt and powerful. That scene in the comic where declares "your feast is at an end" is perfect, and you go from there. Supervillians, I'm afraid, just highlight the goofy unreality side of Batman. He's ridiculous enough on his own without goofballs. A villian like Dr. Zazzaz (who I think they already referenced in the first one) or the Calendar killer or even Two-Face are the way to go.

The reason Batman Begins was good was because it a had a real organizing psychological conciet and themes they kept returning to and highlighting new elements of (overcoming fear, identity, etc.) To keep the series in that more intelligent psychological vein rather than blowing it into supervillian slugouts, they need to pick stories and villians with some meat on them. The weakest part of the whole movie was the "master plan" to destroy the city and "Gordon blows up stuff with the Batmobile" It turned somewhat intriguing themes into set-piece goofiness. We want less of that, not more. The Joker is a signal of more, unfortunately.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

If they tone down the Joker, and deal with the dynamic of the two characters first encountering each other, and seeing themselves reflected in the other's eyes, then we will have a very good movie. Otherwise.....

But Heath will do a good job. He's a pro.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apos
The weakest part of the whole movie was the "master plan" to destroy the city
Yeah, that didn't make the slightest amount of sense, did it? The fear chemical is only released when the water is boiled, and they've been dumping it in the city's water supply for weeks - shouldn't people who work in laundromats or car-washes or kitchens (where water is constantly evaporating) or just schmoes who boil water for their morning coffee be showing the signs?
Old 08-02-2006, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgryphon
Dayum, I'd pay to see that!

Of course he should adopt the Nightwing personna rather than go back to being Robin.
It's killer, isn't it? More comments here and I recommend you also get the "behind the scenes" video, since it contains a lot of interesting and amusing tips on shoestring movie production.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:28 PM

I'd love it if the movie opened with the Batmobile pulling up at Arkham, Batman striding in through a thunderstorm.... We've all read the Killing Joke, right? Have the same start as that, with the Joker an established character... Batman discovers that he's escaped, AGAIN. We all know the Joker and Batman are enemies, right? We dont need another origins storyline. Besides, at the end of Batman Begins, the Joker was already a troublesome force in the city. Have the beginning from The Killing Joke, and go from there. And as long as Ledger looks something like THIS (top left corner) and we'll be alright.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Charter Jays Fan

I don't think anyone in the world believed Ledger, previously thought to be a lightweight hunky type, could pull off the Ennis Del Mar character in "Brokeback Mountain," but he did. He's a hell of an actor and I suspect will make an excellent Joker.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:16 AM

My dream choice for The Joker:

Wilem Dafoe (unless he doesn't want to be typecast as a crazy creepy... eh too late)

I'm definitely willing to wait to see the movie to see how Heath Ledger does. It's always fun to see an actor in a role you wouldn't have thought to see them in.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:00 AM

I deeply believe that a man can't be intimidating if he's too pretty. The uglier he is, the more intimidating. This is why Jack Nicholson's Joker worked so well. I'm not saying he is an ugly man, but he is menacing looking ALL THE TIME, not just when he's in character. During the filming of Hell's Angels '69, he was supposedly accosted by police and thought to be an actual outlaw biker. And this was when he was a young man. He only got scarier as he aged.

Heath Ledger is a handsome man, wholesome looking, and there's zero about him that's scary-looking. I realize that he can act. But his face doesn't suit the part.

I thought Cilian Murphy's Scarecrow was horrible, mostly because he wasn't scary at all. I'm very disappointed that they seem to be making the same mistake again, casting another pretty face in the role of someone who's supposed to strike fear into peoples' hearts.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:06 AM

By the way: Christopher Eccleston would indeed have been a much, much better choice.

Look at that face. That's a face with character. It says something. The gaunt cheeks, strong jaw, long hooked nose, large ears, dark and deep-set eyes, receeding hairline - one of the most powerful profiles I've seen. The face is so striking.

Heath Ledger's face says "boy next door."
Old 08-03-2006, 08:39 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers
Look at that face. That's a face with character. It says something. The gaunt cheeks, strong jaw, long hooked nose, large ears, dark and deep-set eyes, receeding hairline - one of the most powerful profiles I've seen. The face is so striking.
That is my idea of what The Mule should look like.