Doper Gals: Any of you dealt w/pelvic prolapse? (Boy howdy, TMI)

“You’re too young for this,” said the ER doctor, the nurse practitioner, and my OB. Thanks. Regardless, I am dealing with a prolapsed bladder. Squeamish, look aside. Curious, read on.

Often in typically a) older women or b) women who’ve had many a baby (I’ve had ONE, dammit!), the ligaments in the pelvic region loosen. Sometimes, a little too much. When “too much” happens, the vaginal wall that normally supports a variety of internal organs can collapse. An anterior collapse can result in the supported organs–the bladder and/or urethra–literally falling into, and out of, the vaginal canal. Thankfully, my prolapse is just my bladder, and I’m not dealing with the major PITA symptoms that come with such a prolapse (like, oh, incontinence). It’s a bit uncomfortable, and more than a little disconcerting.

The ER doc and nurse practitioner both said I needed surgery, but my OB said it might respond to Kegels. Yup, good ole Kegels. I was stunned. Can Kegels seriously, erm, push my bladder back where it belongs?? We’ll see. My doctor is monitoring it and said it might end up requiring surgical repair.

I have been stunned by everyone’s nonchalance, too, btw. Apparently an internal organ falling out of the body is no big deal. Forgive me for getting just a little freaked out about it and going to ER initially. (The ER doctor actually said to me, “Why are you here?” UMMM…BECAUSE I CAN SEE MY BLADDER?!) Anyway, I’m relieved that it’s not a prolapsed uterus, which could have resulted in a hysterectomy. Apparently a prolapsed bladder is very common and women walk around with them for years. (YEARS? What the fuck, people??)

Considering I just had back surgery, I am in NO hurry to have ANY surgery any time soon, and it devastated me to hear that I might need it. I’m posting here fishing for others who’ve suffered similarly, or know someone who has–and specifically, if Kegels did anything. (I also fear what surgery might do to my ability to deliver any future children vaginally, nonetheless my ability to enjoy their conception.)

:eek:

I have no advice to give you, I just wanted to say, DEAR GOD!!!

This is the first post in a while that I’ve read through my fingers spread before my eyes in cringing dread. . .
Godo luck with that! Really.
Aiaghh!

eyes cross

Uh, I’d be more than a little bit nonplussed if someone reacted to an organ falling out of my body cavity as no big deal and suggested some little exercises I might do to prevent the said ORGAN FALLING OUT OF MY BODY CAVITY.

Why not just tell you to stand on your head, for heaven’s sake? Anyhow, I’d see if I can’t find a doctor who maybe treats this with just a teence more chalance.

See? SEE?? You two get it. It’s FREAKY and SCARY and :eek:-y and OH DEAR GOD-y, so nonchalant reactions from medical professionals (“Oh, it’s your bladder. Ho hum, why is it you felt this was an emergency?”) is most disconcerting.

And for the record, my prolapse is not severe. It’s not, erm, protruding from my body (anymore), so it’s not quite the Halloween horror it might sound.

Whoo hoo, TMI!

Ah but Matt, everything I can find info-wise continues the theme of commonality and nonseriousness:

From the Mayo Clinic online:

From InteliHealth:

From HealthGate:

From WomensHealthLondon:

And so it continues. Apparently, Kegels are right in line. Weird.

Now, before this turns into a “Everyone point in horror at what a freak show Ruffian is!”, I’d reeeeeeeeeally like someone to step in and say, “Yup, been there, done that,” so I feel a little less like I should be charging admission to this thread…

Been there, done that. Only with me, it’s my uterus trying to escape, and it has been for the past 17 years or so, although not to the degree anyone’s suggested doing anything surgical about it. Kegels, shmegels.

Good luck with that!

That happened to my great grandmother. Seriously. Her bladder fell the fuck out. Freaked all of us, including her, out.

I had no idea it could happen until she told us about it. Scared the living daylights out of me. Your bladder is, IMO, not an organ you should ever actually have to see. Kthx.

~Tasha

Pessary?

I have no firsthand advice to offer but I’m sorry to hear that the ER doc wasn’t more sensitive about the situation. I guess that sometimes ER docs lose perspective on how something that seems relatively minor compared to some of the more gory stuff they see could seem really scary for someone who hasn’t had medical experience. I totally understand why you were scared and considered it an emergency. It’s better to go in earlier than necessary for treatment than to wait too long and let a problem become much worse. For example, I’m sure that ER doc has seen plenty of heart attack patients who waited too long to get help because they thought it was indigestion. Better safe than sorry in health matters. Anyway, I hope that this situation improves for you soon!

Oh, I can do a me too post!

Having suffered from the same sort of prolapse, I can attest to the Kegals helping me out. It did take a while for it to become helpful, and the biofeedback machine really helped me figure how to properly do the exercises.

Now, a couple years on I still do the exercises, and thankfully haven’t had to have any surgery. I still have the occasional accident now and then, but it’s nothing compared to how I was at my worse.

/relurk

Okay…I posted about this somewhere around here. My MIL’s uterus is COMPLETELY out of her body and has been for a few years now. :eek: She doesn’t want to have it corrected. She just walks around with her uterus hanging out of her. We’re all horrified. I tell her she no longer has to endure the humiliation of a pelvic exam because the doctor doesn’t even have to be in the room with her for her next pap smear.

:eek: … Is there still a FIL in the picture? What does he have to say about it?

According to the Mayo Clinic’s article, complications can include ulcers where the uterus is damaged by the friction of exposure, and even infection.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! :open_mouth:

I’ve seen uterine prolapses in farm animals. It sure as hell ain’t pretty. I also can’t imagine walking around with my uterus hangin’ out. Or my bladder.

whimper

The human body never ceases to amaze me (and freak the living uterus out of me). AAAH. :frowning:

He’s dead and the sex thing ended years before that, due to a stroke. She’s 83.

She does have friction issues, but puts neosporin or whatever on it to relieve it. It’s so simple to remedy, given that her uterus is practically between her knees. I know…you’re alternating between :eek: and :confused: . So are we. It’s an endless source of amusement when we get a couple cocktails under our belts. She’s absolutely fine with it. For her, uterine prolapse is more palatable than having the surgery or having the retention ring installed.

Retention ring…that must be what my grandma got installed after her uterus prolapsed. Then I think she may have had a hyterectomy after all. Yikes.

Yes, it’s a simple procedure, but I’ve heard that they have to be re-inserted or repositioned sometimes.

Oh, my God. That’s too mindbending to contemplate.

This is fascinating.

Since I’m at work, I’m not going to try to google for pictures of this sort of thing, but I do have a few questions.

First, how strong is the wall of the bladder and/or uteris. I’d be affraid that, if it was sticking out, it might get pinched and punctured. Likewise, isn’t there potential danger of infection and such. I mean, this is a part of your body that is usually protected by your outsides!

Also, I’m slightly confused as to the biology that allows the bladder to fall through the vagina. Is the vagina open to a person’s insides, and it’s just muscles that are pressed against each other that keep one’s insides from all spilling out? Is there tearing that occurs somewhere. What, exactly, is the deal?

The term “prolapsed uterus” entered my vocabulary when I was but the the tender age of 12 or so – and reading the James Herriott books for the first time. :smiley: Which is why when my mother informed me that she, too, had the condition which the good veternarian wrestled many a time on a cold stone barn floor, my reaction was something like :confused: :eek: :smack: :eek: – followed by a “moo.” (My mom has a well-developed sense of humor.)

However, the “eeks” don’t stop coming, the more I learn about Kalhoun’s mother-in-law. Mary, mother of God!! :eek: :eek: