Battlestar Galactica 3.4 - "Exodus, Part Two" (spoilers)

All of this has had spoilers before, and all of this will have spoilers again.

Spoiler policy: If it’s aired, or if it’s simply speculation, no need for a spoiler box. If it’s from a future episode as revealed in interviews or by other means, or if it’s speculation based on same, put it in a spoiler box, and provide a label as to the general nature of the spoiler so we can decide individually whether or not we want to spoil ourselves (e.g., “Saved by the Bell actor cast as Imperious Leader…”).

Where we’re at:

Lee Adama needs to decide where he stands on his father’s potentially suicidal rescue run.

Saul Tigh is paradoxically more miserable and more joyfully alive than he’s been in a long, long time.

Ellen Tigh loves him well but not at all wisely.

Brother Cavil’s kvetching suggests that all may not be well with the Cylon download.

Not to mention the possibility that the Cylon skin jobs are fracturing into different philosophical camps.

One of the Number Threes (D’Anna) knows about Baby Poptart.

Amanda Plummer is her own particular brand of kooky hot.

Anders is a much more interesting character when Starbuck isn’t around.

And speaking of whom, what does she really think about her own possible spawn?

Oh, and Baltar is skidding ever closer to the edge of total insanity. Woo hoo!

Tonight at 9pm.

I just checked the TV listings and it looks like we have two hours again tonight! That makes me all tingly inside, in a good way.

I don’t know whether to love or hate all the people who got me to catch up on Battlestar over the summer - I hate that I’m staying home on a Friday night, but I’ve never been so excited about staying home on a Friday night.

Meant to put this at the end of the last post

• or are they just teasing me and showing the same thing back to back? Either way I’m excited after the setup that was last week’s.

Can we get a clarification about spoiler policy for web content? Last week there was a short clip of “bonus content” on the web. A password was announced during the episode, and then you could use the password to view the video. Most of the video was just commentary from actors and short clips from the episode–but there was some apparrently new canon material shown at the very end, which appears likely to resurface in tonight’s episode. I assumed it was spoiler-able last week, but now I don’t know if I have to spoiler that info in this thread still–and there may be more “bonus content” after tonight’s episode…

Last week, they showed the same episode twice on Friday night, with another program sandwhiched between showings. I’m all for two hours of Galaticy Goodness* if we get it, though.

*shamelessly stolen from someone in one of the spoiler threads.

My system shows Sci-fi playing the same episode, back-to-back…

Hah? Two hours or one hour? Double the awesomeness would be…awesome. In other new, I’m full of steak.

It’s one hour, shown twice, according to the SciFi website.

News. News. Because the steak has clogged my brain. But why would they show the same show twice? This is highly irregular.

My bad on that… it’s pretty stupid, though. I understand the re-airing a few hours later as they usually do (to run during PST prime), but back to back? That’s just tease-y.

Either way, T minus four and a half hours!

I predict that Gaius Baltar will almost, but not quite, cry.

Seriously, they must have a PA whose sole job is to keep James Callis hydrated.

Good question. Let’s say those things are “information from future episodes” so they go into spoiler boxes, with an accompanying label to the effect of “from scifi.com’s official online sneak preview video, information about what happens to Dualla over the next two weeks” or whatever.

Re the teary-eyed Baltar, speaking as someone with an acting background, I’ve noticed that Mr. Callis occasionally resorts to the actorly trick of “not blinking for long periods” in order to get those quivering gleams on his eyelids. It’s not exactly cheating, I guess, if the audience buys it, but if you know the technique it’s kind of hard not to notice.

Never really thought about it. I figured you’re either really good at crying whenever you want or you pluck a nose-hair right before the scene or someone off camera slowly jabs you with a needle or they have special tearing-up eye drops or something. The not-blinking trick makes sense though. Now that I’m onto it, I’ll be watching for it too.

Mostly what I want to know; is Chamalla-root snorting Oracle real or not?

Is knee-capped D’Anna going to off herself and get a new body or walk around on crutches for awhile?

An interesting question. How much can you injure them that they must put up with constant pain, but not enough to deal with the agony of resurrection?
Cool.

I think the Chamalla-root snorting Oracle is a real entity of some sort–possibly a sleeper cylon. As to whether she has actual powers of prophecy–I dunno. She’s either an excellent cold reading con, a cylon agent, a human operative, or an actual prophet. Really don’t think she’s another “imaginary friend” character–two of those in one series is quite enough.

I’m expecting the big break out to have Lee/Pegasus save the day when all looks grim for Adama/Galactica…

Another quick question. If D’Anna decides she doesn’t want to resurrect just yet, is Doc Cottle going to fix her up? Is he the only doctor on the whole planet, Cylon or otherwise? Why did Doc Cottle have Cylon blood on him too. Was is just splatter, or is he - as every good doctor should - providing care to everyone, without regard to species, race, political or religious affiliation, sexual orientation or make & model number?

…8 central. :dubious:

8 is Sharon/Boomer, actually. We don’t know what number the main brain is yet.

These are two biggies for me, in terms of speculation. The previews at the end of the last episode suggest Lee will indeed swoop in…but to save the day? Probably. This show seems averse to killing off principals who aren’t actively looking for another job.

As for the prophet: My guess is she’s the real deal. I want her to be a Cylon sleeper, but she just knows too damn much to be either that or an uncanny cold reader.

My expectations for this episode are pretty low. I think we’re going to have some pretty cool space combat and some decent suspense related to the whole rescue, some good Orange Fireball entertainment. It’ll be fun as long as you don’t think about it too hard, which I’m priming myself to avoid doing so as to not be annoyed by the low standards set for the series thus far.

My hope is in future episides. This, and the prior three, were a hurried cleanup job, and maybe once they’ve fled New Vichy Bagdad and get back into space again, the tatters of earlier narrative threads left tangled and forgotten, things will improve. I’m looking forward to the new ideas that seem likely to come. The old ones are mostly played out, or were squandered.

More thoughts on Lee: There’s another reason they aren’t going to kill him any time soon: He and Kara haven’t done the nasty yet. At the end of last season, they lobbed a pretty big matzo ball out there, with Kara begging for antibiotics for Anders, and Lee uninclined to even pick up the phone if Capt. Thrace was on the other end. It seems pretty clear there’s some bad blood between Lee and Kara that goes beyond her tactless behavior during her reuinion with Anders. Lee’s especially mad because, despite the fact she did something truly unforgiveable, he’s probably been beating it like it owes him money, instead of getting busy with his wife, and it’s Kara he’s thinking about. Sexual tension gets eyeballs. I expect the writers to honor (or, perhaps, pander to) that.