Who likes Oat Groats?

I like oat groats!

Well, a bit anyway.

I had a mess of 'em for a snack last night, and the rest for breakfast.

Duly soaked for hours, simmered for 60 minutes, and dressed with butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar, this chewy version of a breakfast porridge was far more texturally interesting than any namby-pamby pressed, rolled, or steamed oatmeals. And it certainly represented a level of “roughing it” far beyond mere steel-cut oats.

Share your groat stories! :wink:

I like buttered groat clusters, especially since it’s hard to get anyone to deliver pizza to Sector R past curfew. Shoes For Industry!

Time to stop cloning around. Back to the shadows again!

(Has Derleth lost the plot in the cornstarch and cellophane? Will Qadgop the Mercotan be annoyed at this unprovoked Bozotic behavior? Will our younger readers get any of this whatsoever? Confused? You won’t be, after another episode of Footnote!)

(Firesign Theater featured buttered groat clusters as the food of choice for those who have no choice in their LPs, filed under ‘Comedy’ by a world to scared to admit it is not insane.)

Never had oat groats, but kasha (buckwheat groats) is a delightful dish to be served in lieu of rice. Throw in some sauteed onions and farfalle, and it’s awesome.

Robin, who reads “groats” as “goats”

Sounds interesting Qadgop the Mercotan, you seem to come up with some exotic food interests. Where to you purchase Oat Groats anyway?

Describe how they’re different from steel cut oats. The BF and I love the steel cut ones (when properly dressed with buttermilk, dried cranberries, dried raisins, butter, brown sugar, etc.) and would perhaps try going more hardcore.

I believe groats are uncut, which is why you need to soak them before cooking. I’ve never gotten around to trying groats yet, but I’d be tempted to do them as a savory braise like you’d do with farro.

As for oatmeal, an interesting alternative to the butter/milk/sugar/whatever approach is to try them with cranberry relish or preserved lingonberries; the tart/sweet flavor profile gives a nice variation.

Well, they’re intact, not cut at all. Uncut groats

Unlke these steel-cut ones: steel-cut groats

So you end up with larger particles. They need to soak and cook longer as a result.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm… groat clusters!

I bought them at a local organic grocery store. Picked up some steel-cut ones too, just for variety.

Are groats & steel cut oats the same thing?

As I understand it, steel-cut oats are just oat groats cut up with steel, so are sometimes called steel-cut groats.

But groats themselves are the intact grains of oats, wheat, barley or buckwheat, to name a basic few.

So cut oat groats with steel for steel-cut oats. Or steel-cut oat groats if you prefer.

Cut buckwheat groats and I’m not sure you get.

I hate to be the one to point this out, but is the OP not a person who has already admitted to liking vegemite so much he HOARDS it? What does this sat about a person’s tastes?

Then again, say “Hoard oat groins” three times fast. That’ll learn ya.

Mmmm, I came in to post that I like oat groats (as well as quinoa) for breakfast, with a bit of Marmite or Miso, and butter. The saltiness is a nice change.

Then I see Evil Captor’s post… well, oh well, I like peanut butter toast with Marmite to start the day too.

Has anybody brewed with groats? I’ve used stell-cut oatmeal to make an oatmeal stout before, but never groats.

Too bad John o’ Groats was really a Dutchman.

I know what they are, I was asking how they differ in taste. :slight_smile:

Groatier? To the max!

y’all are inspiring me to try them, although “groatier” doesn’t help :stuck_out_tongue:

So, not kosher.

*Ten years *you been workin’ on that line?

:slight_smile:
mmm

I don’t know what oat groats are, but I refuse to let ordinary oatmeal sit until it is mush. I stir it constantly on high heat a minute or two, and eat it when it is still like hot granola.

AND you didn’t feel like reading about what they were in the thread either, eh?

Good for you!

Oat groats are, that is. And if you’d read about them in this thread, you’d know they’re chewier than hell. Talking about mushy oats in this thread is an oxymoron.

As long as it’s not goatier.