IE opening links in browser window other than that in which the link was clicked

Since I reinstalled Windows last night, IE has been doing something very irritating. When I click on links in my favourites menu, rather than opening the link in the browser window in which I clicked on the link, it opens it up in another browser window, usually the first one. What option is that and how can I fix it?

Assuming IE 6, try Tools >> Internet Options >> Advanced tab. Near the middle of the “Browsing” section is an option “Reuse windws for launching shortcuts”. Try un-checking that.

Thanks. That is less annoying, but now it opens up a new window entirely. I wish I could just get it to do what it used to do - open up the thing I requested in the window I requested it in.

This IE 7 by any chance? I’ve noticed all sorts of odd link-opening behaviour in it: my favorite is when I clicked a few links and they opened as tabs…in another window from the one I was in.

I suspect they’ve just got a few kinks to work out, yet.

UGGGHHHH!!! Microsoft has “upgraded” several of their programs lately.
IE7 and the 'tabs" I can get used to, but I ABSOLUTLY HATE Media Player 11 and their “beta” MSN mail.

Nope, it’s IE 6.

Are 'transitions" turned off?
I know that was am annoyance for me (after I reinstalled WXP and was used to my “old” style). I no longer have IE6, so am not sure how to turn it off again.

What are ‘transitions’?

Transitions

“Turned on, this option makes Internet Explorer fade out of a page you are leaving and fade into a page you’re going to.”

I turned it off, but it doesn’t seem to make any difference.