Recommend some gin mixed drinks?

I just got a bottle of lime-flavored gin that I don’t quite know how to mix up. Gin, unlike rum and vodka, the two liquors I know best, tastes weird in most drinks, to me. The only gin drink I really like is gin and tonic with fresh lime juice and a teaspoon of sugar, so I don’t know what to do with a whole bottle of gin. I tend to like sweeter drinks, like mojitos and frozen margaritas (yeah, I’m a wimp). I don’t mind getting creative with juices and ingredients; my mojitos are quite elaborate.

Any recipe ideas?

The problem with Gin is that the strong taste of Juniper doesn’t really play well with other flavors.

You could try making the basics: Sloe Gin Fizz, G&T, & Martinis with the lime flavored gin. Otherwise, I’m at a bit of a loss. Heck, I’m still wondering how lime flavored Gin even works, though I guess it would taste like a Gimlet. Try making one of those with Rose’s lime juice.

The problem with Gin is that the strong taste of Junper doesn’t really play well with other flavors.

You could try making the basics: Sloe Gin Fizz, G&T, & Martinis with the lime flavored gin. Otherwise, I’m at a bit of a loss. Heck, I’m still wondering how lime flavored Gin even works, though I guess it would taste like a Gimlet. Try making one of those with Rose’s lime juice.

I guess I was wondering if there was a gin drink along the lines of a mojito. More… cocktail-like. Are there any flavors that go well with gin? The lime is good, but there’s only so many lime G&T’s I can drink. Something sweeter? Is that possible? Or is gin only for serious, adult-type drinks?

Have you ever tried a salty dog or a greyhound?

It’s gin with grapefruit juice (the salty dog has salt like a margarita, the greyhound doesn’t).

I saw an article the other day that talked about a MarTEAni. They would steep Earl Grey in gin for a couple of hours. Apparently the bermagot flavoring goes well with juniper.
And I’m sorry … lime flavored gin?? :eek:

No, no, no. Substitute it for vodka in a Bloody Mary. Yum!

Lime flavored gin makes a great Tom Collins.

I was going to chime in and suggest this. I didn’t realize it had a name (actually, I figured it did, but didn’t know what it was). I actually don’t like gin on the whole, but I love it in a gin & tonic and gin & grapefruit. The bittersweet flavors of tonic/quinine and grapefruit marry well with gin. It’s funny because I don’t like tonic very much, either, but when paired with gin, it’s simply transcendent.

Gin also goes into Long Island Iced Teas (vodka, gin, white rum, triple sec, tequila, sour mix or equivalent, splash of cola).

I accidentally had gin and cranberry juice the other day (ran out of vodka) and was pleasantly surprised. I expect lime gin would be nice too.

And speaking of cranberries, I dreamed last night I was buying great enormous bales of fresh cranberries. Huh.

gin, especially bombay sapphire, goes well with cranberry juice… or even a soda / cran mix.

… i guess a lime flavoured gin would save garnishing gin & cran.

Gin and dry (ginger ale) is my favourite gin based drink. Not a cocktail I know, but I much prefer dry to tonic.

Gin is pretty much the base spirit for cocktails. Try looking on the Drinkboy gin page for a starting list of possibilities.

If you like margaritas, you might want to start off by trying a Pegu Club Cocktail:

2/3 gin
1/3 Cointreau
some lime juice (not sure how much you’ll need to add due to the flavoring in the gin)

a couple dashes of angostura bitters
a couple dashes of orange bitters

(if you don’t have orange bitters, you can either just omit them or maybe add a good twist of orange)

I’ve developed a taste for Gin Rickeys. It’s a pretty basic cocktail:

I like gin and I’ve always wanted to try a French 75, but have never had an a bottle of Champagne and gin around the house at the same time. It’s named after a French artillery piece from WWI because it supposedly gives you quite a kick.

I’ve never had lime-flavored gin, but I’m sure it would be good in this drink instead of the added lemon juice.

Gibson is my gin drink. Should work with flavored gin.

For a more modern crowd, make Jell-O shots.

You could try a Gimlet… Rose’s Lime Cordial, gin, green maraschino cherries. I don’t recall off hand, I used to make them for Mrs. Prefect before she fell into the same love affair with the Homeless Man martini that I am in.

Isn’t Sloe Gin a different type of liquor than white gin?

Many years ago at a now defunct biker bar in Daytona Beach, the owner invented a gin drink that she would serve to the band in a round styrofoam tub containing multiple straws. It was a communal drink for sure but we didn’t mind. I believe it was called a Rose Bud and it contained gin, Roses lime juice, tonic and sprite.

It was very tasty. The sweetness of the Roses Lime Juice and the Sprite cut the bitterness of the gin nicely.

Since it was made by the bucketfull I’m not exactly sure about the proportions but try this and then maybe tweak the proportions to suit your taste:

1 shot of gin
1/2 shot of Roses Lime Juice
1 shot each tonic and Sprite (more or less to suit your taste )