WoW: The Burning Crusade

There must be a thread on this somewhere, but I didn’t find it, so apologies if this is a duplicate. Just want to see who is getting the Burning Crusade upgrade for WoW, what your expectations are for it, if you’ll roll new characters, etc.

I’ve not pre-ordered, but will probably see if I can find a copy at lunch tomorrow. I’ll probably create some sort of Dranaei (sp?) character just because, but am more interested to see how my 60 mage can advance.

My brother pre-ordered the game for me. I’m planning on making 2 Blood Elves and 1 Dranai (probably a Shaman). I might delete some of my other low level alts. Has anyone else noticed the new world visible through the portal on the log-on screen?

I’ve got a name picked out for my Blood Elf-- Nakidndancin. I do not, however, have it on pre-order. I’m afraid it’ll be months before I’ll be able to buy it in the store.

I’ll probably make a Blood Elf Pally. I usually get stuck healing the party, and it’d be nice to do so in heavy armor.

“Longest fight I ever seen, was a quick duel between Paladins.” – Me

I pre-ordered mine a few months ago, and I’m starting to get a bit paranoid because I know a few people in game who’ve had their orders confirmed already and mine hasn’t been yet. I’m looking forward to the expansion though, I think Blizzard has a far better idea of what players like and don’t like now than they did at launch, and I expect to enjoy the new zones. I’m also looking forward to maybe being on the top end of the levelling curve, as I didn’t have the playtime to rush to 60 after the initial launch.

I’m already happy though, my server was one of the ones was was just offered free transfers and my guild pretty much jumped at the chance. We had been on one of the launch servers before–the event Tuesday must’ve been horrid there, and I’m sure the BC launch will be terrible as well. But here we have no queues, no continent-wide lag thanks to the world event, and less inane chatter in the general channels. Did I mention I’m really enjoying the new server?

I will be rolling a Draenei warrior when I get my copy–sorry but the BE aren’t pretty, just pansy. I also have a mage and a druid (both raid toons) that I’ll need to get to 70 as well. I think I’ll be a bit busy next week.

My husband and I re-installed the game Saturday night and bought two-month game cards in preparation for the xpack.

I’ll probably go pick it up at lunch tomorrow as well and start the install at least. I played the Beta a bit(leveled a BELF 'lock to 20 and took my tauren hunter from 60 to 62) and I really enjoyed the new areas and quests. I’m just really, really looking forward to some level 60 spells on my mains like mass dispel for my priest and distracting shot for my hunter. I also have a 60 mage I stopped playing a year or so ago that I might pick back up.

Well, I have a 60 resto druid that will need to get to 70 (I love healing as a druid - I healed in a Baron group the other day and the fight ended with everyone above 70% health). I’ve also got a paladin and a warlock in their early 40s that I enjoy playing. But I will have to give in and make a Dranei. Maybe a mage - I’ve started several and haven’t really stuck with them as I mostly like characters that can heal. But I definitely want to make a jewelcrafter, and I might as well get a racial bonus for it, right? Plus, Dranei do get that racial ability to heal. Even if it isn’t much, it’s something.

Stopped by Game Stop at lunch today and ask about availability. The guy reco’d I preorder, since what they had available was going quickly. I went ahead and prepaid and will pick up tomorrow at lunch. They already have them in stock, but can’t officially sell/disperse until midnight. No way I am going out at midnight just to bring it back and install and stay up all night. Tomorrow after work is fine for me. I’ll probably roll up a Dranei shaman to see what that’s like. Any name suggestions? My three main characters right now are Magestic, a mage, Leif, a druid, and Shibboleth, a rogue. What kinds of punny names can you think of?

As a side question, are Dranei and Blood Elves purely a Blizzard creation or is the some fantasy back story to these that I am missing?

Anybody know if you have to install this in order to play, or do the patches released in the last few weeks allow people to play without it, like the pre-release patches in Battlefield 1942?

You’re going to have to install it.

Just to be clear, you won’t need the expansion installed to continue to play the old content, but you won’t have access to the new Burning Crusade content without it.

That’s what I meant–without installing, I will be able to play on Wednesday the same way I played last night, except, of course, for long waits, server crashes due to overloading, bugs in the new content, and draeni & blood elves running everywhere.

Time to start a dwarven hunter, methinks.

Aw, who am I kidding? I’m buying it.

My husband plans on picking up two copies tomorrow.

I’d like to transfer our 59 lvl pally and 'lock over, but we’ll probably create new characters. I’m not sure what yet.

I doubt that my husband will actually find two copies tomorrow, but he told me he’ll even drive to Tacoma to get find them. We’ll see.

My copy shipped today, so I should have it by Wednesday. I probably won’t roll up a new character immediately (the starting areas for the new races are going to be pretty crowded at first); instead, I’ll work on levelling my druid (60), rogue (60) and maybe warlock (44).

If I do make a new toon, it’ll be a Blood Elf of undetermed class. I don’t care to play Alliance-side.

Not to hijack this thread, but why is there such hate for the Alliance side?

I’ve played both sides now, and frankly, each can be annoying. For instance, Hillsbrad area has become practically unplayable due to high level alliance ganking Horde trying to quest there. Some nights, you can’t even leave Tarren Mills. As an undead toon on that server, I get highly annoyed.

However, that being said, I’ve been ganked by Horde as an Alliance player. So, it cuts both ways.

Okay, end of hijack. Sorry about that.

All the same, I’m looking forward to the expansion.

Just guessing from talking to everyone I know who WoWs, there are gonna be more Blood Elves than you can shake Wirt’s Third Leg at. That would make it harder for a player like me who likes to do everything alone. Every mob will be dead and all resources depleted. Maybe it will be good that I won’t get my copy right away.
Ha! Who’m I kidding. My son just now walked out the door to see if he can still pre-order it from Gamestop.

No need to transfer anything. The expansion just adds new capabilities and zones to the existing realms. Those with the expansion and those without the expansion will still be able to visit Stormwind/Undercity together, do raids and dungeons together, and so forth. It’s just that the ones without the expansion can’t go to Outland, create a Blood Elf, and so on.

The expansions shouldn’t be too hard to find. My store sells them, and I was able to up my order just a few days ago. Any store that plans ahead adequately should have plenty.

I’m pretty ticked at Blizzard, though. My store is primarily a bookstore, and I was planning a midnight release party, much as we did for Harry Potter. Unfortunately, Blizzard is only making the BC expansions available today for a select few chains (Gamestop, Best Buy, Fry’s Electronics) to put out at midnight. I get mine sometime tomorrow when FedEx arrives. Twits.

My son-in-law has a 60 mage and he was planning on selling ports to the new main city starting as soon after midnight as he could get there. He’s bummed that he either has to wait until I get my FedEx shipment or drive an hour to the nearest Best Buy at midnight.

My main is a 60 mage, and I’ve not taken the last port training, assuming I could get it at 60 for the new city. I’d frankly forgotten about that by now, and hadn’t thought of going mercenary and making a lot of money off of it. Hmm.

Update-- because I’m sure you are all waiting with bated breath. . . Gamestop told my son to come back at midnight. They believe there will be enough to go around for everyone.