Feather/down pillows.

I got myself a brilliant score at the local Goodwill shop yesterday. It’s one of those HUGE European-style down pillows (measures about 3’ x 3’) and it only cost me $4 AUD…they normally retail for around $150 or more here.

Anyway, after taking it out of the pillow case it came in, I noticed that the fabric of the actual shell is quite fragile: I managed to rip a couple of minor holes in it just with the extraction.

What I want to know is what sort of fabric is used to house feather and down. It’s not just normal cotton sheeting of course, and must have a very close weave to prevent the migration of feathers.

Can anyone help with the name, and do you know if it is available to purchase in non-commercial quantities?

It’s called pillow ticking.

In my astonishment at remembering that term, I forgot to answer the second part of that question. I know that it used to be available by the yard and it wouldn’t surprise me if you can still find it. I would do an internet search or check out eBay.

You lucky thing, you!

Thank you ma’am!!

I swear, the thing is absolutely gigantic, and just doing a rough arm-weigh, I reckon it’s got at least 2kg (4.5lb) of down inside. It’s certainly heavier than my QS bed doona (duvet) which is also 90% down and as such is too good to just let leak all over the joint. I will get me to a fabric store tomorrow and search for ‘pillow ticking’.

Thanks again Zoe.

Hi,

What a find! I actually saw some of that pillow ticking fabric at Walmart the other day. It is like gray striped old fashioned looking. I noticed it because I was looking for some heavy close weave fabric. Not a problem to get around here.