Best places to order cooked food for delivery

With the various restaurant preference (pro and con) threads currently running, I wonder if there are many of you like us in that we actually prefer to order in than to go out to a restaurant. Our ratio is something like 4:1 order in over go out.

Unless you do a fair amoung of ordering for delivery you can skip this thread.

For pizza and Italian we prefer Roma which may be a local chain, but their food is very good and the service is prompt and reliable.

For Chinese/Asian we really don’t have a favorite as most of the places that deliver are pretty weak. Every now and then we’ll risk it and order some from a local place that’s a one-of-a-kind outfit.

The grilled meats preference is currently going by the name Off The Grill but it’s had several names for the same basic menu.

Even though they don’t deliver, we’ll get takeout fish and seafood from Captain D’s, burgers from Hardee’s or Sonic, and whatever you want to call the stuff at Taco Bell.

We enjoy ordering in, as well, mostly because the 2 year old is past the keep-em-sleeping-in-the-carseat-and-shove-it-under-the-table stage and not yet into the civilized human being stage. Eating in is kinder for her, us and the other diners.

There are few chains around here (northside of Chicago), and even fewer that deliver, so we don’t order from anywhere you’d have by you. The closest to a chain we order from would be Philly’s Best, but I think they only have a few stores. They do a great cheesesteak and lovely fried dough, and they even have perfectly steamed broccoli as a side option, so all that grease has a little vegetative company. Similar in saturated fat content is Gulliver’s, which has “American”, Italian and Mexican offerings. Their actual restaurant is a headache inducing nightmare of antiques and chandeliers covering every square inch, but their food is good, so I prefer delivery to dine-in.

My favorite and most frequent delivery is Siam Pasta, a Thai restaurant which would be about 150 feet from my back door if I could walk through buildings. Which I can’t. But I’m starting to think their delivery guy can, because he gets our orders here blindingly fast. For some strange reason, we get our food to our front door faster than we get our food actually eating in the restaurant. I think 12 minutes is his record - and that includes cooking and packaging time. Of course, I tip him well, and always have, because while I could go pick it up, on those days when I have three children under the age of three here, it’s SO worth an extra $5 to not leave the house! And the food is very good - not the best Thai in the city, but very respectable.

The day the baby answered the door and called him by name, I decided maybe we were ordering out a little too much!

Well, WhyNot, how does it make you feel to be one of the only two people at SDMB who order in? :wink:

Around here, about all you can get delivered is pizza…

That’s a shame. The steak delivery services in this area have been around for at least 10 years. They’re reliable and within reason for prices. The Chinese food we can get delivered is not of the quality of dine-in, but quite a few Oriental places do good take-out business and I’ll use that option when I’m hungry for that fare.

There are even a few sandwich type places that will deliver but we normally reserve the delivery option for more “full meal” things.

Y’all should see if Takeout Taxi is in your area - I use them all the time for work stuff.

We had that option for a while, but they quit using the restaurants we really liked so we quit using them. I’m not sure they’re still around, but it was a good option for a year or better.

(after checking your link) It seems the Nashville area is no longer being served, just Knoxville.

Same here. :frowning:

Well, at least you have that…got nothing where we live.

Wouldn’t trade for living in town though.

I’d love to order in, but sadly, in the quaint little backwater town* where I live we can only get pizza delivered. Sucks. The pizza’s pretty crappy too, probably because even though the pizza place is about 200 yards from my house, the wait time is always over an hour so they must be cruising Salinas with my pizza allowing it to get good and cold and de-emulsified.

Grumble grumble grumble.

*San Jose, California