The Tom Snyder interview was "Infamous"

Music group Kiss is about to bring out “Kissology: Volume Two.”

The story says this set will include an “infamous 1979 interview with Tom Snyder.”

Okay, I missed that one or the affects of old age has blotted out the memory. What caused a late night TV interview with KISS to be rated “infamous?”

Or is this just a little overblown ballyhoo?

Wikipedia says:

“The most outrageous interview seen on Snyder’s show occurred on Halloween 1979, when the rock band KISS appeared to promote their album Dynasty. During that 25-minute “interview”, the interview devolved into a somewhat chaotic exchange between Tom and a very drunk Ace Frehley, who picked up a teddy bear left behind by another guest, put the armbands from his costume on the bear, and laughed, “the only Spacebear in captivity! I’ve got him-- he’s captured!”. When Tom asked Ace if his costume was that of some sort of spaceman Frehley quipped, “Actually I’m a Plumber.” Snyder shot back, “If that’s the case then I’ve got some pipe you can work on backstage.” The inebriated Frehley clapped his hands and cackled hysterically at the exchange. Gene Simmons has revealed on his website that he felt “betrayed” by the other members during this interview.”

Not sure why that’s considered so infamous, though…

The implication being that Snyder’s “pipe”…

Oh, fuck it. If you don’t see the double entendre, I’m not going to spell it out.

I so remember that; it rocked because of its surrealness. Tom was known for being a bit square and Ace was hilarious (if being drunk was what it took for him to be funny).
Tom also asked Paul about his expensive shoes. He replied they were $7.95 specials. (you had to be there).
Also, Gene was amazingly subdued and quiet, as he explained, he’d earlier had a dental procedure.

Tom was square? I don’t think so. He was the first person I ever heard say the word penis on television. A gal tends to remember this kind of thing.

Where is Tom now? Bring him back anytime! I’ll watch him!

The interview is available on YouTube (sorry I’m inept at typing links) and is well worth a look. There’s lots of funny stuff: Snyder at his clueless best (he actually prononunces “bass player” like you would refer to the fish), Ace’s bizarre laugh and total inebreation, and Gene giving “the stare” to Ace as the interview goes on. Another infamous moment is when Ace starts talking about German aircraft and starts to do a “sieg heil” salute. Gene yells “don’t you dare” before Ace was able to extend his arm all the way.

Thank you for reminding me! Bass player. Then, Ace says “I’m a trout playah!”

If that a’in’t rock and roll, I don’t know what is.

If that ain’t rock and roll, I don’t know what is.

For those who don’t know…
Gene is Jewish :stuck_out_tongue:

“When you coming back, Tom Snyder? Tom Snyder, when you coming home?”[sup][/sup]
[sup]
[/sup]I swear this was a song on Late Night (in response to a Viewer Mail letter or something) but no one else seems to have heard it.

Rock stars behaving like utterly stoned assholes on variety shows in the 1970s is nothing new.

See here.

Don’t buy from them. They suck. They only ship after 10 weeks of you bitching at them daily.