"If you would like to make a call, please hang up and try again"

Who recorded the US operator voice? And why has it not been changed since? It sounds old and staticy. Also who does the “popcorn” voice to tell you the time.

It was probably Jane Barbe. She retired in 2003, after a 40-year career of providing a friendly voice to time, temperature, voice mail and various other announcements.

She died in July of 2003, shortly after retiring.

What a great piece of trivia to know!

…If you need help hang up and then dial your ooooooooperator. In Albuquerque!

I couldn’t help it and the question was already answered. The song started going through my head as soon as I read the title.

Anyone know who Julie (?) is, the Amtrack (and since, other) voice? I’m pretty sure NPR or the NYT did a story on her a long time ago, when voice-activated menus were fairly new.

Holy cow, I can’t BELIEVE I found her!!!

Your Train Will be Late, She Says Cherrily

I read someone that the AOL voice was found…but it was a tabloid lol

I saw Kim Cattrall on an episode of the Graham Norton show claiming to have been the “you’ve got mail” voice for British AOL. Which, until I typed that out, it didn’t strike me how odd the concept of “British AOL” is.

Little-known fact: she was also the slalom-skier who wipes out during the old intro to ABC’s Wide World of Sports.

You know; I’d like to believe you; so can you provide some credible evidence for this?
Is there a link to the video somewhere, so I can refresh my memory…I barely remember the slalom-skier clip; but I vividly remember the hapless ski jumper…and I know that isn’t the right one your talking about.

Sorry, I guess my enjoyment silly words like “slalom” overrides my sense of responsibility for nit-pickery in posts which are patently absurd, anyway. But, for the sake of thoroughness, the link may explain why “If you’d like to make a call, please hang up and try again” is tinged with a Slovenian accent

Also, you’ll be glad to know that she made a full recovery and was able to appear as the nurse running to the helicopter in the opening credits of MAS*H

Um, Slithy, you’re making an absurd amount of absolutely fascinating senselessness.

(You do your moniker proud)

In addition, the word gullible is not in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary. You can look it up.

Really? I thought she was the lady with the glasses starting at the camera when Mary Richards tossed her cap into the air :slight_smile: