Installed my blackberry into my computer, what do I do now?

I have a Blackberry that I want to upload into my (Vista) notebook. I plugged in the USB cable, plugged the other end into the Blackberry, and went through the install wizard.

Everything seemed to go fine, and I can see that the Blackberry is listed as a device in the Device Manager.

But I don’t see any other evidence that it exists. There are no new commands in the menus. So, how do I upload the data?

You want to download and install the god-awful “Blackberry Desktop” software, which will give you a special program that allows you to perform functions like transfer files to and from the device using a user-interface that is nothing like you’re accustomed to. Start here and click the “Download BlackBerry Device and Desktop Software” link:

Warning: If you have a lock password on your device, the Blackberry Desktop software will annoy the bejeezus out of you by asking you for your password once every twelve seconds, and randomly showing a progress bar for 5 seconds at a time that says something like “generating encryption keys.” You’ll love it.

I’ve done the install, but there still doesn’t seem to be anything to run on my menu.

Do you see the desktop icon? Double click on it. If not then you need to go to the programs menu and pick from the list. It will then ask for your device password. If you have a smart card it will also ask you if you want to enable file sharing. Pick yes and it will ask for your password again. BTW, I’ve got over 300 songs on mine, Loads of pictures and movies, GPS navigation and XM radio. I’m using it right now to surf the web.

You may also want to checkout pinstack.com, it’s like this place but totally blackberry.

I just did it on my other computer too…and nothing. No new icon, and no new entry in the programs or start menu.

Unless I’m just overlooking it. What group would it be under?

Who is your carrier and what model number do you have? I’ll see if I can find a desktop download link for you from my pinstack contacts.

Cingular, BlackBerry 8700c

Have you been here ? There seems too be several releases available, depending upon whether you are runnin XP, Vista or certain levels of Service Packs.

I’m downloading version 4.3 right now.