Department store cosmetic counter- do they still do makeovers?

I’ve been searching desperately for a better job lately. I’ve applied at everything from the law library to real estate offices to local department stores (I have mostly retail and clerical experience).

I’ve gotten one lousy call, from Macy’s Estee Lauder cosmetics counter as a beauty advisor. On the list of jobs I applied for, this was pretty low in terms of being a desirable position for me. But, I have sold makeup before (at The Body Shop, a natural/organic cosmetics store, and Avon, briefly).

I don’t wear much makeup anymore. I realize that I’ll have to, should I get this job. What I am worried about is applying makeup to customers. I don’t like touching strangers, and I don’t think I have a very steady hand for things like eyeliner and mascara application (I’m farsighted, so my reading glasses might help for applying it to other people, just not myself).

Do department store cosmetics counters still offer makeovers? Will I be applying makeup to total strangers all day?

I need this job, so I’m going to the interview tomorrow, but I’m a bit worried that I might not make the cut.

I would assume that they offer some sort of training for doing makeovers, but I imagine that the bulk of the job is stuff like someone looking for a plum lipstick, and you show them your line’s versions, rather than constant makeovers. Good luck!

I had a friend who took a similar job. I’m not sure if it was Estee Lauder specifically, but it might have been. She liked the makeover aspect of it. What she didn’t like was having to sell. The sales aspect of the job went beyond just helping people at the counter to keeping up with regulars, encouraging them to come in for new products, and promoting specials. This friend had done Mary Kay before, but I guess she didn’t expect the sales aspect of the new job. Make sure you find out what you need to know about sales goals, quotas, commission, etc.

I think they do. I started wearing make up for the first time a few months ago, and when I went to MAC, the cosmetic lady did my whole face for me, and then I bought a few of the items that I liked the most. Not sure if all of them do that, but at least one does!

MAC, while fantastic, and about half of my make-up bag, is not representative of cosmetic counters in general. I’m not sure about the rest of them anymore, since I’m either drugstore cheap or MAC-loyal, but I assume they all still do makeovers and palettes for people. A better fit for you might be Sephora or Ulta (or the like). I know for a fact that not everyone who works for those two stores do the makeovers. They’ll help you look for what you want, but they don’t do the applications. As with everything, with stores in your area, YMMV.

I’ve had a couple of makeovers done, one back when Sears was trying to get away from appliances and tools and show its “softer side,” and another at the Clinique counter at Belk.

At neither time did I experience a hard sell to buy the cosmetics. YMMV, but while I did buy a few of the items, I didn’t buy all of them, and I didn’t feel pressured at all.

My sister worked at Kauffman’s (now Macy’s) at either the Estee Lauder or the Lancome counter and she did a significant number of “makeovers”. Not necessarily full face of make up deals, but trying different shades on the customer, etc. This may not be the job for you if you have an aversion to that.

Yeah, I had the interview this morning and I don’t know if it went that well anyway. She seemed very concerned about scheduling conflicts with school, even though I explained I’m taking the next 1-2 semesters off, and that it shouldn’t be a problem even when I do go back- it might take a little schedule tweaking or slight reduction in my hours, but nothing major.

Oh well. I’m secretly keeping my fingers crossed for the Stetson University Law Library to call me back- that would be awesome.

RedRosesForMe, if you are looking for a job that is part-time and could work with your school schedule, you might consider looking at pari-mutual places that have poker rooms. There is a position that we call Brushes, that function as hosts and helpers in the card rooms. It doesn’t require any experience.

The upside: You pay will probably be significantly higher than a retail/clerical position would pay. Most rooms don’t open until at least noon and are open 7 days a week so you could work weekends. I would guess our brushes make around $15 hr. Our shifts run from 12-12, 12-6 and 6-12pm.

The downside: you are on your feet running around all day.

I’m not sure if there is one near you, but it is worth looking at. No touching required. :slight_smile:

I live in St. Pete, so if your location is still accurate you’re not too far from me. If you know of anyone hiring for this in the Pinellas-Hillsborough area, PM me the details.

I don’t need part time now since I’m taking time off from school, but part time at $15 an hour would certainly pay the bills. I can deal with running around all day, in fact I prefer it to standing in one place (that totally kills my feet).