Lurker poll:Why don't you post?

I’ve been a lurker here for about 5 years. Some of the regular posters almost feel like old friends. I almost never post, though. I suspect there are a flock of us like that. So why is it? Are we all social voyeurs? Shy? Can’t spell?

For my part, it seems like others often express what I think, maybe better than I would. How about you? Lurked for how long? Why no (or rare) posts?

post damn you!! [shakes fist]

The reason I hardly post is because sometimes I feel like I might not have a clue of what I am talking about. Add the fact that I can’t spell all that well and I’m a tad afraid I am going to make a fool of myself.

pfftt…never stopped me!

Often when I post on a forum, I think I’m making a clever or amusing remark. Then I realize that I either missed an obvious point making me look like an idiot or that my comment could be taken in an insensitive or otherwise bad way. Consequently, I err very heavily on the side of not posting.

I do enjoy reading other people’s banter, though.

Oh, go and make a fool of yourself, then. I’ve had a million :smack: moments on this board, but I keep coming back for more because with each mistake I make, I learn something about myself I didn’t know before. Or about human nature. Or something. It all seems worth it in the end. I think the biggest mistake we make in this fear is assuming people will care or remember that you said X stupid thing 3.5 months ago. 99% of the time, they don’t.

cue ‘‘The More You Know’’ music

I used to post more often.

But now I don’t.

So, um, that’s it, really.

Sweet. So I shouldn’t worry about opening opening mouth, inserting foot.

So now I can be online, what I am in real life. :wink:

You mean it’s better to be thought a fool for not talking than opening your mouth and removing all doubt?

You mean it is different then people assuming you are a fool then they actually knowing you are? :wink: I like to keep people guessing, I guess.

I lurked for awhile before joining up…then I posted for a bit…now I lurk again. I probably won’t renew.

After so much trying, I realized that I simply don’t fit in here. Not a bad thing necessarily. I just got tired of posting things that I thought were funny, and getting no responses. I tend to forget that I have a very odd sense of humor I guess.

There are other things as well, but I don’t feel like putting forth the effort of typing it all out. This is only a website after all.

This board is fine to read when I am bored. I just don’t feel the need to spend money for it any longer.

An invisible flock of Turki-lurki lurkers! I was wondering why the telephone wires sagged so.

For factual things, there are other people who know what they’re talking about better, and can explain it better.

And I’m just not opinionated enough to get involved in debates and such.

I’m trying to preserve my post count.

I, for one, wish you would stay. For one thing, your user name is completely Doperific!

Cite! (half serious)

So, what’s the other half?

Hell, I get no response to some of my best material, and I’m fuckin’ hysterical.

I comfort myself with the thought that this just isn’t a real “LOL” crowd.

That’s it, right?

(And, Turki-lurki – excellent username!)

It seems like most of the times I am beaten by others with comments I would have made. In the few threads I have participated in(not ones I start), I am ignored. Or maybe I’m just lazy :slight_smile:

This is the most intimidating message board I visit. And I can’t spell. And I’m often to lazy to take the simple steps to fix that problem.