This is a promotion for Standing in the Shadows of Motown.

In this thead: For the love of Black History Month: What’s your favorite film? I mentioned Walking in the Shadows of Motown, a documentary about the Funk Brothers-- Mowtown’s session musicians during the Detroit years. I got the impression that not too many people have seen it.

Although we could have gotten to know them better individually (there may have been too many of them for that) and the re-enactments are a bit cheesy, it’s still a great movie.

All the reviews of it I’ve read have been positive although at least 3 reviewers labeled the contemporary artists who sing covers with the reunited Funk Brothers "3rd tier’. Bootsy Collins, Chaka Khan and Michelle Ndegeocello certianly are not the 1st tier artests that Fergie and Britney are-- and thank the Gods of Music for that.

Here’s a youtube of Joan Osbournes performance of What Becomes of the Brokenhearted from the doc as incentive for you to go rent the CD.

Just as an aid for anyone who tries to find this, its actually Standing in the Shadows of Motown, a reference to the Four Tops song. :slight_smile:

I came into comment on the same thing. Great documentary. Only too bad that James Jamerson, the legendary bass player (who legendarily played all of his bass lines with just one finger on his picking hand - something most bass still can’t understand how he accomplished), wasn’t alive to get more credit.

One of a few top music docs that have emerged over the past few years. I never miss an opportunity to tout Tom Dowd: The Language of Music, too. Not related to Black History Month, but since he engineered and produced some of THE top Black artists from the 40’s through the 90’s, it’s worth mentioning here…

I knew that! I’m just really dumb.