What does "exception" mean in UPS package tracking?

I’m returning a couple of things to NewEgg, and I dropped off the box at The UPS Store this afternoon. I printed out a shipping label that NewEgg generated. Now when I check the tracking information, under status, it says “Exception” instead of “In Transit”. The most recent description is “FORWARDED TO THE FACILITY IN THE DESTINATION CITY”.

Should I be worried that it won’t make it back to NewEgg?

I think it means that they attempted delivery, but were unable to deliver. Perhaps it needed a signature and no one was home? They will attempt a couple times, then forward it back to the shipper. I think.

Don’t worry just yet. Keep an eye on its progress, and it will probably get there shortly.

I wouldn’t expect it on a vendor-generated label, but I have seen incorrect addresses kick out exceptions - in those cases, the package goes back to the sort center for a while and UPS tries to find the right address.

Another possibility is that they smashed it up or the address label got ripped off and someone at the depot has to open the box and hope there’s an invoice or some other indication of an address - either to be delivered to or to be sent back to. Unlikely, but it does happen now and then.

“An exception is any event or situation that causes a shipment delivery to be rescheduled. Exceptions, such as an incorrect address, can occur for a variety of reasons and are explained within the detailed shipment information.”

(from the UPS FAQ)

Would an incorrect weight cause an exception? The label was printed for 2 pounds, and I assume Newegg knew what the stuff I’m returning weighs, but it felt heavier than that.

If you just dropped it off this afternoon, it sounds like there was a problem where you dropped it off, but they figured it out and it’s now in transit to the destination.

No. As a business who has a daily UPS pickup, I can tell you that a wrong weight won’t cause a delay in transit. If they even happen to catch it, they’ll just adjust the billing.

Most likely it was a wrong address. You could try calling ups (1-877-PICK-UPS, I think) and they might have more info.