Musician biopics

Over the years there have been quite a few biopics about musicians. Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Charlie Parker, Buddy Holly all had their films. Recently we’ve had films about Ray Charles and Johnny Cash.

What musician or band do you think should have a movie made about their life or career? Just for fun cast the lead.

For sure, Miles Davis. I’d go with Don Cheadle.

Dizzy ought to have one as well but would be harder to cast.
Same with Thelonious.
The drama associated with Chet Baker would make a great story.

The Kirk Douglas Young Man With A Horn (title may be off) was supposedly based on Bix.

Louis!

I would love to see somebody try to capture the enigma of Bill Evans.

Other musicians I can think of whose stories (however true-to-life or however fictionalized) have been made into movies include:

Gene Krupa
Red Nichols
Cole Porter (better known as a songwriter)
Jerry Lee Lewis
Elvis
whoever it was that Dexter Gordon played in Round Midnight, maybe Bud Powell?
the Latina Jennifer Lopez played
The Beatles
The Supremes
The Carpenters
The Temptations
John Philip Sousa (more for what he wrote and the bands he led)
Mozart
Beethoven

They should make a biopic about Sinead O’Conner and have it directed by the same guy who directed Myra Breckinridge.

Have you noticed that you can add a K and an H to her name and get it to be descriptive?

Sinead KO’Connerh?

Sinkhead O’Conner?

I know you’re just toying with me, but since Otto is, too, I’ll try to stave off the other 2,365 combinations.

SKinHead O’Conner. Like I said, it’s descriptive, too.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

If they ever do a Pink Floyd biopic, Richard Gere could play the mature Roger Waters.

And Pete Doherty could play the young Syd.

Have they done (a good) Buddy Holly story? That would be a fun one to see. Not sure who’d play him.

Also, how about Roy Orbison?

I’d like to see a movie about Alice Cooper. I’m thinking Alan Rickman could play him pretty well.

They did one in 1978. Gary Busey played Holly and was nominated for a Best Actor Oscar.

I’d love to see a movie about the B-52’s, covering roughly 1978-90.

Fred Schneider–Sean Hayes
Kate Pierson–Mandy Moore
Cindy Wilson–Jeri Ryan
Keith Strickland–Will Forte
Ricky Wilson–DJ Qualls

Unfortunately, the Gary Busey Buddy Holly Story was complete and total bullshit, as far as telling the Buddy Holly story is concerned. Nothing in Buddy’s life or career actually happened the way it was told; the movie was complete fiction.

Fortunately, however, it was so bad that it pissed off Paul McCartney (who loves Buddy Holly) and he got involved in a project to make The Real Buddy Holly Story, which is an excellent documentary movie. For anyone interested in Buddy Holly’s career, this is the one to see, not the one with Gary Busey. (I also highly recommend the book Rave On by Philip Norman.)

Is it just me or does Rave On always remind you of Stevie Rave On? :smiley:

I’d like to see a biopic about Siouxsie and the Banshees and the post-punk scene of the late 70’s- early 80’s. No idea who’d play Siouxsie though, that’s a tough part to fill.