Too Hot vs. Too Cold

The thread on Border Dwellers has had enough activity to make me think this variation on the theme might be fun to explore. If there are other “border issues” like these, maybe yet another thread on a similar topic might be in order.

First off: Has it ever puzzled you, when you consider the extreme range that temperatures can take (from Absolute Zero to millions of degrees), how extremely narrow the human “comfort zone” really is? I mean sure we hear of peoples making themselves “comfortable” in temps in the -50F zone to those over 130F, and probably even beyond these extremes with the right clothes and shelters.

But if we can accept that most of us find the range from freezing to summer maximum as the range we have to contend with, then answer these questions and/or add any of your own in this arena:

(Unless it’s just not something you can deal with, please use Fahrenheit scale)

1. In summer, what temperature feels too cold?
  2. In summer, what do you set your thermostat to?
  3. In winter, what temperature feels too hot?
  4. In winter, what is your thermostat set to?
  5. In your area, which month starts getting too hot?
  6. In your area, which month starts getting too cold?
  7. in spring and autumn, what temperature range determines when you put on a sweater or take it off?

There must be more such questions. Ask them.

Does not compute.

1. In summer, what do you set your thermostat to?

I have a hotel-style A/C unit that cools my entire apartment (save for the upstairs, which used to be my bedroom but started serving as storage once I realized this). It runs 24/7 from April to September.

1. In winter, what temperature feels too hot?

Tough to say. Within ranges that do not cause hypothermia or heat stroke, I really don’t care about temperature until I’m trying to go to sleep, at which point I want it as cold as possible.

1. In winter, what is your thermostat set to?

That hotel-style unit is also my heat. It stays off from October to mid-March. Yes, I’m quite serious. I used to use heat when I lived in upstate New York, not out of discomfort, but because failure to do so would likely result in death. I kept it at 50 degrees or the lowest setting.

1. In your area, which month starts getting too hot?

Around mid-June, the A/C stops working well enough for me to comfortably get to sleep. This is getting remedied this year if I have to invent cold fusion to accomplish it.

1. In your area, which month starts getting too cold?

Does not compute. See above.

1. in spring and autumn, what temperature range determines when you put on a sweater or take it off?

I don’t wear sweaters much. You’ll almost never find me anything other than a business-style buttondown or t-shirt. This is true year-round.

1. In summer, what temperature feels too cold? None–I hate summer
  2. In summer, what do you set your thermostat to? window AC at 62
  3. In winter, what temperature feels too hot? over 70 inside, over 40 outside
  4. In winter, what is your thermostat set to? 50, but I use a heaty blanket when couching and sleeping; without blankets it would have to be in the 60s
  5. In your area, which month starts getting too hot? April
  6. In your area, which month starts getting too cold? January it starts wearing on me but I like cold
  7. in spring and autumn, what temperature range determines when you put on a sweater or take it off? No sweaters; I dress according to the month, not the actual weather in spring and autumn

1) In summer, what temperature feels too cold? Anything below 80. I’m constantly running my spcae heater at work and always bring sweaters with me.

2) In summer, what do you set your thermostat to? I don’t really use air much unless it’s over 95 during the day, over 90 at night, or particularly humid.

3) In winter, what temperature feels too hot? Gosh, I dont’ know. I do know I get hot more easily in “stuffy” rooms.

4) In winter, what is your thermostat set to? I don’t really have a thermostat, my heater is a gas space heater with lo, med, and hi settings. I like having a window cracked and the heater on med. I usually don’t have the heater on when I sleep and I leave the bedroom window open.

5) In your area, which month starts getting too hot? Usually about now but we had a freaky cold front and it actually froze Sunday night. :eek: That’s the latest it’s ever frozen here.
6) In your area, which month starts getting too cold? January.

7) in spring and autumn, what temperature range determines when you put on a sweater or take it off? If it’s chilly in the morning, like maybe 60, I’ll wear a sweater because I know I’ll be cold at work anyway. I wear layers so I can strip off pieces.

1) In summer, what temperature feels too cold?
Some 80 or less degrees is chilly enough to not get to swim in pool / ocean.

2) In summer, what do you set your thermostat to?
79 degrees

3) In winter, what temperature feels too hot?
We’ve been in the eighties in January this winter. Way too warm.

4) In winter, what is your thermostat set to?
I don’t use a heater.

5) In your area, which month starts getting too hot?
May.

6) In your area, which month starts getting too cold?
November/

7) in spring and autumn, what temperature range determines when you put on a sweater
or take it off?

Taking off a sweater at maybe 75+ degrees, putting it on at 70 and less degrees.

Wow. Living in Florida makes me so sensitive to cold, although I’m freezing now with this cold front moving in for all week.

This thread is juuuuuust right.

About 60 F is where I reach for a sweatshirt.

Depends on the relative humidity - If the weather is dry, I’ll be happy right up until about 100 F and ignore the ac/thermostat completely. If it’s humid and murky (as is all too common in Montreal and Toronto in the summer) the ac is set to keep the temperature at 68 F or less.

77 F is about the maximum.

70.7 F.

May/June is when things are consistently comfortable, July/August (mostly August) are when things really suck - but again, that’s more due to humidity than heat.

Too cold for no jacket? Late September/Early October. Too cold for human life? January/February.
7) in spring and autumn, what temperature range determines when you put on a sweater?

Between 50 and 64.4 I wear a sweater. Anything less is a jacket, anything more is a t-shirt.

For demographic purposes, I am currently living in Toronto, Ontario, and had to use a converter to figure out all the fareneheit. :smiley:

I live near Boise, Idaho (for the purposes of this thread, tell us where you all live, especially if your location does not explicitly indicate this).

It would have to get below 50°F in the summer for it to feel “too cold” outside. Indoors, below 60 feels too cold.

I keep it at around 65°-70°.

Since it never gets “too hot” outside in the winter, I’d say 85° is getting a bit toasty.

70° to keep the electric bill down, but I’d be content with 75° if I could afford it. I rely on portable heaters to supply the extra warmth.

By June I start complaining about the heat and by July and through August it’s damn oppressive.

The middle of October is when it gets cold enough to turn the heat on for the first time.
7) in spring and autumn, what temperature range determines when you put on a sweater or take it off?

I don’t typically wear sweaters, but if I did the sweater on/off threshold would be around 50°.

Below 17C

N/A

Above zero celcius

N/A (don’t set thermostat, but I keep the windows open even in January)

End of June.

I like cold. Maybe end of January? I don’t like below -20C too much.

7. in spring and autumn, what temperature range determines when you put on a sweater or take it off?
    I’d wear a sweater outside in the 14C to 18C range, a light coat and no sweater down to 0C, and a coat and sweater below -10C. All of those are possible spring or fall temperatures here.

Anything below 70. 70 to 75 is tolerable but just doesn’t feel like summer. Over 75 or even in the 80’s is best. I get excited if we make it to the 90’s or more

I’m not sure. We just hit “on” when it feels unbearable and “off” when we feel better. Normally we leave it off. The only time I really can’t stand it is if I just got done mowing lawn on a really hot day.

This has not yet happened in my lifetime

Between 70 and 72 since we bought our house. When we didn’t pay for heat it was closer to 80.

For me, never. For others, maybe July

1. In your area, which month starts getting too cold? September

2. in spring and autumn, what temperature range determines when you put on a sweater or take it off?

Depends on what the weather was like in the days before. If it’s been in the 70’s, then 65 might get me cold. If it’s been in the 50’s, then 65 might warm me up

I really like the heat. In Minnesota we don’t get enough of it. I could handle summer all year long. When I see movies set in the south with people sitting on their porch sweating under the scorching heat, I think to myself “how wonderful that must be!”

There have been June mornings when I’ve woken up when it’s about 60F degrees and thought, “Damn that’s cold!”

About 68F

If it cracks 60F any time between November and February, I get a little weirded out.

72F-ish

May

October

7) in spring and autumn, what temperature range determines when you put on a sweater or take it off?

Unless I’m going to be outside for more than a few seconds (very rare from about mid-September until about mid-May), I don’t bother to wear anything extra. If I’m going to be outside for an extended period of time (read: more than about a minute), I’ll put on a hooded jacket if it’s going to be 65F-ish or below. The winter coat comes out at around 45F-ish.

below 60F

75F

Well, my great-grandmother set her themostat at 82F in the winter. That was a little too hot. I vastly prefer hot. If winters were regularly in the 70s outdoors, I’d be happier.

70F

This doesn’t happen here. It’s only “too hot” 2-3 days of the year, being 90F+ and 80%+ humidity both.

October or November

Sweaters are for temps in the mid-50s or below.

Inside, below 72. Outside, whah? This is Houston!

75 if my wife is home, otherwise 76.

Inside, above 76. Outside, probably 80 with high humidity. It wouldn’t get too hot with low humidity.

73-74 if my wife is home, 75 if she’s not. 69-71 at night.

May

Late November or December. It isn’t consistently unpleasant until January.

72 if just sitting around. If I’m active, I’ll peel it off pretty soon unless it’s below 55 or so.

1. In summer, what temperature feels too cold? There is no such thing as too cold in Minnesota in the summer.
  2. In summer, what do you set your thermostat to? We turn it off.
  3. In winter, what temperature feels too hot? Anything over 70.
  4. In winter, what is your thermostat set to? 68
  5. In your area, which month starts getting too hot? May
  6. In your area, which month starts getting too cold? December
  7. in spring and autumn, what temperature range determines when you put on a sweater or take it off? Jacket on if below 60 in spring, if below 70 in fall.

I live in Minnesota, and heat is much more of a problem for me than cold, but I have learned to enjoy summer since I moved out of the city. I’ve also noticed that my cold tolerance has decreased since I quit smoking and don’t spend so much time outside in the winter. I have a very narrow comfort range now.

Full air conditioning is rare here, and natural conditions almost never make it cool down much. Evening during the rainy season might make me a bit chilly, simply because the air is soup and the temperature drops to about 65ºF.

Regular summer is suffocatingly hot, all the time, and the humidity is constantly around 60% or higher. Even at night, it rarely gets cooler than about 85ºF, which is still hot enough to make it uncomfortable for me to get to sleep, even though I sleep naked. I hate summer here. At least in my home state of California when it was 115ºF during the day it would drop to a more bearable 80 or so at night, with low humidity.

If I could, I’d keep it at about 75ºF or lower, but that’s not an option most of the time (see, 1) The only installed air conditioner is downstairs, and the main living area is upstairs, so I just have to put up with the heat most of the time. I’ll typically strip down to underwear as soon as I’m in the door, so I can get some relief from the +95ºF heat. Of course, the house is usually even hotter than that until I can open the windows and get some air moving in there. Have I mentioned that I hate summer in Japan?

Anything above 65ºF will have me peeling layers down to a light long sleeve shirt or a t-shirt. Work and many public places crank up the heat to 11 in winter.

Swear to Og, I feel like beating people to death with the heater because they all like to set the damned things to 28ºC (82.4ºF) or higher. Trains are the worst, because the heaters are under the seats. Parboiled testicles, anyone? Between the overwork and over-heated crotches, no wonder the birth rate is low.

Central heating is non-existent in Japan. My kerosine space heater at home is usually set to 18ºC (64.4ºF) but the actual air temperature is probably a bit lower in most of the room. My wife likes it at 19 or 20 (68ºF at the top end) which makes me warm enough to strip down to a t-shirt most of the time.

Housing here is shitty, so in your own house it’s usually only about 5ºC (9ºF) warmer than the ambient conditions until the heater gets the temperature in the room up, and you pretty much have to run the heater all the time to keep it warm. On particularly cold days, like a run of about -15ºC (5ºF) we had once or twice this year, the room loses heat fast enough that the heater is lucky to keep the temperature up to 17–18. I’ll temporarily crank it to about 20 myself on those days, but it’ll only be about 60ºF in most of the room.

In April there’s usually a sudden change in temperatures toward the end of the month. One week is still long shirt and possibly sweater weather, next week you’re sweating in shorts and a t-shirt. It’s about 14ºC right now, so I’m still in long sleeves with a light jacket for outside.

I like it relatively cold, so it starts getting comfortable again for me in October, and starts getting hot for me around the middle of May. If the outside temperature gets down to about -10ºC (14ºF) or lower, then I’ll feel pretty cold and bundle up a bit when I go out. That usually happens around the end of December, or early January.

I’ve never lived in really cold places, like Wisconsin or Saskatchewan. I’m sure my perspective on cold would change considerably if I had.

7) In spring and autumn, what temperature range determines when you put on a sweater or take it off?
Until I get adjusted, after the first couple of weeks of temperature changes, I’ll probably put on a sweater at around 60ºF. After I get into cold mode I’ll be comfortable in just a long sleeved shirt, assuming the wind isn’t blowing, until about the mid- to low-50s.

I’m usually still in short sleeves when everyone else is exclaiming samui! (It’s cold!) and wearing sweaters. There’s a lot of social pressure to dress like everyone else, and the dress code changes by date, not by actual temperature. I’ll hear variations on, “Aren’t you cold?” several times a day in spring and fall. I like being comfortable, so I put up with the comments, even though they annoy me.

1. In summer, what temperature feels too cold? 55 degree mornings
  2. In summer, what do you set your thermostat to? N/A
  3. In winter, what temperature feels too hot? 85
  4. In winter, what is your thermostat set to? I light a fire if it gets below 70, and usually maintain the house at around 80.
  5. In your area, which month starts getting too hot? July down in the valley, but not until August at home in the mountains.
  6. In your area, which month starts getting too cold?October
  7. in spring and autumn, what temperature range determines when you put on a sweater or take it off? Outside - 60 if not working, 45 if cutting firewood or doing similar work.

It would have to be something colder than it ever gets in the summer in any of the locations that I’ve ever lived.

I set the fan that’s pointing at me to “high”. Many (perhaps even most) homes in New England don’t have A/C or central air.

About 65.

If I’m living somewhere where I pay for the heat, 55-58. If I’m somewhere that it won’t affect my various bills, then probably 62-65.

Hah, New England… can be anytime between March and June. Almost definitely by June. (One of my friends has a mid-March b-day… there have been years when we’ve had snowball fights and there was at least one year when we had a pool party.)

From the middle of Jan through the middle of Feb can get a little chilly sometimes. Otherwise, no such thing.

1. in spring and autumn, what temperature range determines when you put on a sweater or take it off?

Hah! Sweaters! Good joke!
I suppose the most relevant answer is “if it’s over about 50-55 or so, I probably won’t be wearing my jacket”.

1) In summer, what temperature feels too cold? 70F
2) In summer, what do you set your thermostat to? 55 (no AC, this usually keeps the heat off, but not always, and it’s the lowest setting)
3) In winter, what temperature feels too hot? ???
4) In winter, what is your thermostat set to? 62F day, 55 night
*5) In your area, which month starts getting too hot? * Never happens
6) In your area, which month starts getting too cold? September. But I’ve been too cold in July.
7) in spring and autumn, what temperature range determines when you put on a sweater or take it off? There is no range it’s 74F. If I already have the sweater on I probably won’t take it off until it gets to around 85F. But I’ll put it on at 74.