Old 06-21-2008, 02:32 PM

Stop honking your horn

Why do people use their key ring remote controls to lock their car doors after they leave the car? In most cars, this also sounds the car's horn.

Don't virtually all cars that have remote controlled door locks also have a button on the inside of the driver's door that will lock all the doors — without sounding the horn? Why don't drivers use that button after opening the door to get out, instead of the remote?
Old 06-21-2008, 02:35 PM

If you use the remote you are guaranteed not to have left your keys in the car. At least that's why I did it.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

I do it for the same reason justrob gives--as I am rummaging through my purse I can mutter to myself "I know I had them [my keys] when I locked the car."

Besides, it doesn't really sound the horn, it just gives a little chirp.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

It's stupid that it beeps the horn when you lock the car doors, but I always thought it was a cool feature for people trying to find their cars in a large parking lot. I guess the reason for the horn is so they know the doors successfully locked. It makes rational sense but it always rather startles me when I hear a horn beep behind me. It always takes a few beats to realize they are just locking their doors.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:01 PM

On our remote, you hit the button once, and the doors lock. The second time, the horn honks. My husband always (ALWAYS!!) hits it twice, which drives me crazy. Especially when it's late and I'm tired/drunk/ill. I can't really fault him for doing it though; we live in a shady neighborhood, and our automatic doors don't always lock. This is almost a sure thing in the winter, when the mechanism freezes. By making sure the horn sounds, it guarantees that the doors are, in fact, locked.

As for everyone else who does it, they're just out to annoy us.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

nope, the VW line only locks the drivers door with the remote.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

My car won't let you lock the doors manually (by pressing down the lock) if the door is opened. If you open the door from the inside, the door unlocks. That makes it nearly impossible to lock the keys in the car unless you slam the trunk closed with them in it.
To lock the car from the outside, you either have to insert the key into the lock or press the button on the keychain. However, mine only beeps if you hit it twice. I'll do that if I forgot to lock the door (or had my hands full) and need to lock it from a distance. The range isn't so good, so I'll click it until it beeps then go back inside.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:03 PM

I thought pushing the button once locked the doors, and pushing it a second time sets the car alarm.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudytat72
I thought pushing the button once locked the doors, and pushing it a second time sets the car alarm.
It does on my Dad's SAAB. The nice touch is that the horn sounds only slightly, so you don't have to annoy passers by to reassure yourself that you've secured the car.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan
Are you sure you don't have that backwards? A remote that only locked one door would be a pretty useless device IMHO. However many cars have 2 step unlock where one push on the unlock button unlocks just the driver's door, and a second push unlocks the balance.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:52 PM

I just like the little "beep!" It's very viscerally satisfying.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudytat72
That's the way it works for my car. And it's not a loud honk, just a little chirp.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:28 AM
Charter Member

I do it for two reasons, one, when the horn beeps, the alarm is armed. But the real reason...the first time I hit lock, it locks the doors, the second time I hit it, it honks the horn if AND ONLY IF all doors and the trunk are fully shut. If the horn doesn't sound I know something is open.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:03 AM

After I got my car, I looked through the owners manual and was able to turn off the "beep horn when door locks feature". I usually lock them with the button on the door but sometimes forget if I locked them after I get out, so I use the remote to be certain. Since I usually get home at 1AM, I didn't really want to be honking the horn when I locked the car. The lights still blink when it locks so I know it worked.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:06 AM

dbuzman, thank you.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:57 AM

I don't think I've heard a car use the horn itself for acknowledging remote central locking. In my experience, as well as from what I've seen in movies and television, they always play a chirp sound (usually a double chirp, accompanied with a flash of the lights (my parents' Mercedes doesn't make any noise, just flashes)) but not an actual honk. That just sounds fucking stupid.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:42 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Afraid I must disagree with you. We have a New Beetle and recently traded our Jetta. Both lock all doors via the remote. However, to unlock all doors, you need to hit the button twice. I think that's a nice feature - if you're alone, you don't necessarily want all of your doors unlocked automatically.

My Scion works the same way - 1 push unlocks the driver's door, 2nd opens all the doors and the hatch, each time with a non-horn beep. Locking is 1 push for all doors, and if one or more door is not latched, the beep is drawn out till you shut the offending door(s). What I don't like about the Scion is that when I turn off the ignition, all of the doors unlock. It never occurred to me to check the manual to see if I could disable that feature - I'll do that.

And, for the record, if I actually honk my horn, it's probably an accident. Honestly, when I need the horn, I can't always remember where the pressure point/horn button is.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:23 PM

You can turn the horn sound off. I bought my car used and it was already turned off. My husband keeps wanting me to turn it back on, but I refuse because I find it annoying. I watch for the lights to flash so that I know the car is locked. My husband likes the reassuring horn sound, so his truck still does it.

I do have a button that sounds the horn repeatedly until you push the button again. I've only ever pushed this button by accident.

Never had a car that chirped like the movies. I thought the chirp was from the days when you had to install your own car alarm. (Just like printers in movies sound very noisy and old-fashioned.) Maybe the horn is an American car thing. I have a Chevy, and my husband has a Dodge.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:27 PM

I have mild OCD, and I need to hear my car's horn as assurance that the doors are locked.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom
Afraid I must disagree with you. We have a New Beetle and recently traded our Jetta. Both lock all doors via the remote. However, to unlock all doors, you need to hit the button twice. I think that's a nice feature - if you're alone, you don't necessarily want all of your doors unlocked automatically.

My Scion works the same way - 1 push unlocks the driver's door, 2nd opens all the doors and the hatch, each time with a non-horn beep. Locking is 1 push for all doors, and if one or more door is not latched, the beep is drawn out till you shut the offending door(s). What I don't like about the Scion is that when I turn off the ignition, all of the doors unlock. It never occurred to me to check the manual to see if I could disable that feature - I'll do that.

And, for the record, if I actually honk my horn, it's probably an accident. Honestly, when I need the horn, I can't always remember where the pressure point/horn button is.
you misunderstood, the ONL?Y way to lock the drivers side door other than with the valet key is by beeping the remote unless you are sitting inside and do it manually, or drive off and it autolocks.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
you misunderstood, the ONL?Y way to lock the drivers side door other than with the valet key is by beeping the remote unless you are sitting inside and do it manually, or drive off and it autolocks.

I have no idea how to lock my Jetta without using the remote/key from the outside. I don't want to know either (if there is a way); in the past, I had a habit of locking my keys in the car.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:41 PM

Sat^Gal has a 98 Beetle, and, to echo aruvqan, there are only 2 ways to lock the driver's side door as you're getting out of the car; either with the key fob (horn chirps to indicate armed alarm), or with the key inserted into the door lock (horn also chirps to indicate armed alarm.)
If you hit the button on the inside of the door while said door is open, the car will assume there's a possibility that the keys are inside the vehicle, and not allow the door to lock.

As an aside, if the alarm is armed, and you pop the trunk (with the key fob), when you close the trunk, the horn will chirp to indicate...

And as another aside, if you unlock the car with the key fob, and don't open the driver's side door, after about 30 seconds (wag), the doors will lock again and alarm will arm.

These two asides are the only instances I can think of where it's possible to lock the keys in the car... open trunk or passenger's side door, toss (or inadvertently drop) keys into car, close trunk or door.

S^G

Last edited by Satellite^Guy; 06-22-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:22 PM

Mine, Ford Fiesta, locks the doors normally on the first press, and on the second deadlocks them, making it impossible to even move the door handles on the inside. (No alarm fitted.) Only the second action is indicated, by a flash of lights. Works fine for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivesmarch4th
It's stupid that it beeps the horn when you lock the car doors, but I always thought it was a cool feature for people trying to find their cars in a large parking lot.
I've collected a hire care from a place which had just had a delivery of a large number of new cars, which had been parked in any available spaces around the car park. The advice of the girl at the desk was simple - walk to the middle, and hit the 'alarm' button on the key. It certainly found the car quicker than wandering around comparing plates, and to her credit, at least there were no residential buildings nearby!
Old 06-22-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
oh... umm..... never mind...

<googles remedial reading classes>
Old 06-22-2008, 04:37 PM

On mine, locked with button inside = locked but security feature not armed.

Locked with remote lock button pushed once = locked but security feature not armed.

Locked with remote lock button puched twice = gives a little chirp to let you know that the door is locked and the security feature is armed.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:06 PM

This is one of those things that annoyed me, too, until I got a car that did it.

And now, like texting all day long, I have become what I beheld.

It reassures me that I have my keys in my hand, and it reassures me that my car is locked.

FWIW, it no longer annoys me when other people do it.

It isn't a loud honk, either.

And if that bothers people at 4 in the morning when I get home from work, they can get me back by mowing their lawns and honking their own horns at 7 in the morning.

Oh, wait...they've been doing that all along...
Old 06-22-2008, 05:32 PM

One of the first things I did when I got my Charger was to change the settings so the horn doesn't chirp and all doors unlock with one press. The lights still flash, so I can still be reassured, and it's not annoying.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Hedberg
“I think we should only get 3 honks a month on the car horn. Then, someone cuts you off, you press the horn, and nothing happens. You’re like, ‘Crap! I wish I hadn’t seen Ricky on the sidewalk!’”
xxxxxxxxxx
Old 06-23-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamex
You can turn the horn sound off. I bought my car used and it was already turned off. My husband keeps wanting me to turn it back on, but I refuse because I find it annoying. I watch for the lights to flash so that I know the car is locked. My husband likes the reassuring horn sound, so his truck still does it.

I do have a button that sounds the horn repeatedly until you push the button again. I've only ever pushed this button by accident.

Never had a car that chirped like the movies. I thought the chirp was from the days when you had to install your own car alarm. (Just like printers in movies sound very noisy and old-fashioned.) Maybe the horn is an American car thing. I have a Chevy, and my husband has a Dodge.
My Nissan toots the horn if you want. I have the feature turned off. I have it flash the parking lights.

It has been VERY helpfull finding the car parked with hundreds of others on a pitch black morning.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:40 AM

Feel keys in hand > lock door and slam it shut.

Have done this on all manner of cars I've owned from 1972 vintage onwards. I tend not to lock my keys in.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla
My Nissan toots the horn if you want. I have the feature turned off. I have it flash the parking lights.

It has been VERY helpfull finding the car parked with hundreds of others on a pitch black morning.
Right. And who cares if it wakes up EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON trying to sleep nearby, that pitch-dark morning?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Completely
Right. And who cares if it wakes up EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON trying to sleep nearby, that pitch-dark morning?
He's already made an effort to be as unobtrusive as possible by turning off the horn. Not that you'd know but considering that he lives in a secluded mountain environment, I'd surmise the brief parking light flick occurs in a commercial venue. Hardly worth a chiding, really.

We were trying to enjoy a sidewalk table at a Mexican restaurant recently, but were having some difficulty when a worker there kept making trips out to her pick-up parked right in front of us and hitting her horn lock each time she departed. Four times we sat through that crap, that last time requiring I ask her to please refrain from engaging in any more repetitive, inconsiderate nonsense.

I'm afraid it's like a lot of things in that it's become such the norm, so ubiquitous an action, that some non-thinkers have become oblivious to the fact it's really quite annoying.

Our car's programmable too. 2nd press, soft chirp, so the confirmation's there but electable on an as needed basis.

Last edited by lieu; 06-23-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Like, the bums sleeping right next to the headlights?
Old 06-23-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Wrong on two counts.
1. This was in a field at the beginning of a triathlon. No residences nearby.
2. As I said, I don't use the horn. I just have it flash the parking lights.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoadedDog
Feel keys in hand > lock door and slam it shut.

Have done this on all manner of cars I've owned from 1972 vintage onwards. I tend not to lock my keys in.
Same. No car alarm here, and I can lock my door without the key. I've never locked my keys in the car, and I've never lost my car in a large parking lot. I must be doing something wrong.
Once I get a new job I may go shopping for a new car -- I hope it doesn't limit my options if I don't want a car alarm.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo Rugger
One of the first things I did when I got my Charger was to change the settings so the horn doesn't chirp and all doors unlock with one press. The lights still flash, so I can still be reassured, and it's not annoying.

I did the same with my car...why wouldn't everyone?
Old 06-23-2008, 04:55 PM

The locks are so silent that I often press my Mazda keyfob lock button twice just to be sure, then you get the little "honk!" Only way to be sure unfortunately. I remember the older electric locks made a big "CLICK" that you could hear 10 feet from the car.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Monkey
On mine, locked with button inside = locked but security feature not armed.

Locked with remote lock button pushed once = locked but security feature not armed.

Locked with remote lock button puched twice = gives a little chirp to let you know that the door is locked and the security feature is armed.
Same on mine. It might be possible to turn the chirp off, but I also need it when I forget where I parked, which is fairly often.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruken
My car won't let you lock the doors manually (by pressing down the lock) if the door is opened.
I thought that's the way my car worked for a while (it didn't have power locks), until I realized if I hold the inside or outside handle out, it allows me to push down the lock.

As far as the OP, I can understand the remote lock if you're waiting for passengers to get out of the car and close all their doors before you remotely click the locks. The beep confirms it's really locked.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:50 PM

All four of my cars have the keys in the ignition, ALL OF THE TIME. Come and get 'em!
Old 06-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwash
I don't think I've heard a car use the horn itself for acknowledging remote central locking. In my experience, as well as from what I've seen in movies and television, they always play a chirp sound (usually a double chirp, accompanied with a flash of the lights (my parents' Mercedes doesn't make any noise, just flashes)) but not an actual honk. That just sounds fucking stupid.
Mine does a chirp on the second click; my boyfriend's car actually honks the horn. Neither of us has a car alarm.

Quote:
Yeah! Because having the parking lights flash on briefly is just so annoying and always wakes me up when someone nearby does it! Since it's a pitch-dark morning, I also hope they will be driving away with the headlights off as well, so as not to wake anyone up. I mean, while the parking lights flashing is obviously far more annoying than actually turning the headlights on when you get in the car, let's be fair to the folk sleeping with their eyes open and faces pressed to the windows and make sure that their shroud of darkness is not interrupted. In fact, why not just stay home until noon, like reasonable people, and avoid the whole situation?

Color me confused.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:55 AM

This seems like as good of a time and place as any to mention a little tip:

If you're just out of range and can't lock or unlock with the FOB, hold it up to your chin. I have no idea how or why it works (I've heard that it turns your body into an antenna, similar to changing the reception by touching a radio), but it'll get you a few extra meters.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:34 PM

'04 Grand Am. AFAIK can only be locked from the outside with the remote or with the key in the lock. Locking it with the door open and then closing the door automatically unlocks it. The horn only sounds if all four doors are securely closed, handy when children are getting out of the car and don't close it completely.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazle Weatherfield
I did the same with my car...why wouldn't everyone?
Because it annoys people, unless it's theirs.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:29 PM

I have the opposite problem. Subaru Outback with a Bulldog remote starter that I installed myself. If I use the door switch to lock the doors, the horn beeps when the last door is closed. It's annoying. If I use the remote, it doesn't honk the horn, so I can only tell it's locking if I'm right next to the car. I've had to learn the slight diference between the sounds of it locking and unlocking.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:12 AM

The New World of Noise Void of Common Sense

Can you imagine a world where the automobile horn is only used in emergencies again?

I can!

I can NOT imagine how a so called “automobile engineer” decided it was okay to use a short horn blast to indicate the status of the door locks or the security system.

I can NOT imagine how this stupid feature got mass produced without anyone giving thought to how disturbing this would be to other people near the vehicle.

These vehicles are making friction instead of friendship between neighbors and people in parking areas.

Please send a message to the auto industry by not buying these disturbing horn-locking vehicles and make the world a quieter and better place for everyone.

If you are one of the people disturbing others please check your owner’s manual for reprogramming instructions or call your dealer for help.

Thank you for reading.

NoiseNatzi
Old 01-27-2014, 11:33 AM

ZOMBIE ALERT.

Man, for a minute I thought Santo Rugger had progressed to typing.

Last edited by Really Not All That Bright; 01-27-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseNatzi View Post
I can NOT imagine how a so called “automobile engineer” decided it was okay to use a short horn blast to indicate the status of the door locks or the security system.
Hearing: zombies go deaf within a few weeks of transformation.. Maybe the "automobile engineer" who designed it is a zombie, just like this thread.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul View Post
I just like the little "beep!" It's very viscerally satisfying.
Exactly, because:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapbox Monkey View Post
I have mild OCD, and I need to hear my car's horn as assurance that the doors are locked.
If I don't hear the "beep" then I'll obsess over whether I really did lock my car or not. If I'm not paying attention when I lock it, I'll start walking away and wonder, "Did I hear the 'beep'?" Then I have to walk back and hit the remote again to make sure I heard the beep.

Luckily for my neighbours, I don't lock my car at home (park in a private garage).
Old 01-27-2014, 07:43 PM

My wife's car came with the horn sounding as the default. I changed it (the manual said how) so that it doesn't sound unless you hit it twice.

I can easily hear the doors lock if I'm standing near the car when I lock them. No need to also hear the horn.
Closed Thread