Ned's Atomic Dustbin question

I was just listening to the song “What Gives My Son,” from their album “GodFodder,” and noticed once more the sound clip at the end of the song that sounds like it comes from some movie. Anyone familiar with the album and what movie it comes from? I know that in another song they use a clip from Die Hard, ("Why don’t you wake up and smell what you’re shoveling).

I too, have wondered that same question.

And here was I thinking it was a Goon’s question.
I have the record (vinyl even) at home, maybe Ned’s Atomic Dustbin lifted the quote from the source of the name. I would assume that the band came out after the '70s (am I right, never heard of them).

This doesn’t mean that I despise modern music, just don’t hear all the american music.

Actually, Ned’s is from the UK. Or were, in any event. They broke up around 1995. They were sorta unique in having two bass players, one who played “traditionally,” the other in all sorts of alternate tunings, with capos on the neck, etc.

I have the CD at home, so if nobody gets to it, I’ll listen when I get home and see if I recognize it.

Well, here’s something somewhat related. I remembered another sound clip from a movie in one of the songs on God Fodder, though I forget which one. I goes something like this:

What are they gonna say about him? What are they gonna say? That he was a wise man? That he was a kind man? That he had plans? That he had wisdom? Bullshit man!
I found it on IMDB.com. It’s from Apocalypse now and the Freelance Photographer says it.

I have tried looking at IMDB for this other quote, though and have been unsuccessful. I tried searching for words like “bum, house, rules, roof, clear,” etc., since those are the words that stand out in my mind, but I can’t seem to find any quotes.

Hrmph.

Um, it might help if you tried posting the quote you’re looking for…

Yes, I am quite aware of that. It is, however, a long quote and I was hoping that if there were somebody out here familiar with the song and knew the quote, I wouldn’t have to bother transcribing it.

Regardless, I will do so now:

From the beginning of the song:

“You look like a bum. [undecipherable] You look like a goddamned girl.”

From the end of the song:

“When are you gonna wise up? You wanna be a bum all your life, be a bum, but not under my roof. This is my house and as long as you live here, you’re gonna live by my rules. I want you to get a decent haircut, some decent clothes and start looking for a job. You got that? Is that clear?!”

Sorry, Doctor. The nearest I could come up with in a web search and an IMDB search was a line from Jaws 4 (!). It’s definitely not the same one, though.

I listened to the clip about a dozen times, and it sounds really, really familiar. I think it’s one of two people: Robert Duvall or ALan Arkin. It sounds more like Duvall to me, and could be from The Great Santini, maybe?

Actually, listening to it again, the first part up to " . . . under my roof." and the part beginning with “This is my house . . .” appear to be two different voices. Wow. Now I’m obsessed with this.

This is really bugging me too. I’ve heard it about 50 dozen times, and it sounds really, REALLY familiar, but I can’t place it.

MY immediate thought was “American Beauty” with the marine dad next door, but that was made about 8 years too late (the album was released in 1991).

Now I’m trying to remember if it was maybe Mr. Logan talking to Ted, in “Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure”. Any ideas?

Purple Haze, from 1982, 1983, or 1984, depending on who you ask.

The OP hasn’t been on the board for 13 years, so they’ll probably never see your answer. :slight_smile:

Answering a 13 year old unanswered question is impressive though. There has to be some reward for that.

Moved to Cafe Society.

Note that this thread is 13 years old.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator