Antipodes Map

Find out where you’d come out if you dug a hole through the center of the Earth.

The antipodes of Pittsburgh is in the Indian Ocean roughly southwest of Perth.

Pretty much all of the US and Canada ends up in the Indian Ocean. The only exception that I found was Hawaii which has its antipode in Botswana. EuroDopers will likely find themselves in the South Pacific, unless they’re lucky and live in parts of Spain or Portugal, where their antipodal brethren would be in New Zealand.

Yes, the antipodes of most land areas is the ocean. One significant exception is that a lot of eastern China is opposite Argentina.

Jarkarta and Bogota are almost directly opposite each other.

Damn. Alllmost made it to Australia. Guess I’ll have to swim the rest of the way (and after all that digging).

Maybe you should have made a left turn at Albuquerque?

(-41.15901221836653, 98.4814453125). At least the water should be warm.

Start digging in Seattle eventually you’ll end up relatively near some cool looking islands right in the center of South Africa, Australia, and Antarctica; The French Southern & Antarctic Lands and Heard Island & McDonald Islands. There is a neat land bridge on what I guess would be Heard Island (-53.020669406468826, 73.36584091186523).
ETA: Opposite of that land bridge puts you smack dab in the middle of Saskatchewan, between Saskatoon, Prince Albert, and North Battleford.

I’d end up in the Indian Ocean, about midway between the lower left corner of Australia and Antartica

Luckilly I’m a good swimmer, though I’d imagine the water to be a tad on the cold side…

Yeah, my location in San Francisco maps to the Indian Ocean, halfway between Madagascar and the “French Southern and Antarctic Lands,” a sort of archipelago which is itself antipodal to Cypress Hills Provincial Park in Alberta, Canada. And if you don’t see the connection between SF and Cypress Hill, you don’t get out enough.

Heard Island has one interesting feature: it has the highest Australian mountain, which is higher than any mountain in Australia.

(The explanation of the paradox: Heard Island is a territory of Australia, but not part of Australia, and its highest peak is about 500 metres or 1700 feet higher than Mount Kosciusko, the highest mountain in Australia – as continents go, Austraia is very flat.)

Barrow, Alaska, pops out in Antarctica.

Spain and New Zealand make for an odd pair.

Here is a very interesting article from the Washington Post where one of its reporters traveled to the antipode of Washington DC.

And here I always thought it was China…isn’t that what I learned from a Bugs Bunny cartoon long ago??