legally married or not

recently my husband requested his birth certificate and found out his middle name is his first name and vice a verse and he is a jr------all documents, school, military, ss, marriage, are legally incorrect----am i legally married----

Yes.

I would venture a guess and say yes, especially since its the same names just in a different order (but I don’t know if that really matters). What does your husband want to do about it? I guess I would be pretty surprised and upset if I found out my name was Kirk Kills Picard:smack:. Is your husband going to change his name, or just keep going about like he has always done?

In many cases it is permitted to make an informal name change, as long as the name is used exclusively, consistently, and not for a fraudulent purpose. I would say, since your husband has used the name all his life, it now is his name.

My mother’s name is Sharon. A few years ago, she got her birth certificate and discovered that her name is spelled Sheron. She’s been Sharon for 55 years. That’s the name on her children’s birth certificates, her taxes, her bank account. She’s never had any problem all these years because of that ‘e’ instead of ‘a’.

Ministerial errors do not negate anything a person has done - you’re legally married. He has the choice of having his birth certificate changed or change everything else. Seems like it would be more efficient to change the birth certificate at this point. He may have to get a court order first. Check with the bureau of vital statistics in your state. It may not even make a legal difference.

I am a lawyer and this is not legal advise, but generally things done in good faith where an irregularity was not known and could not reasonably have been known or the irregularity was very minor (as in this case) are effective. Although to be sure perhaps a visit to a lawyer in your jurisdiction would not be amiss.

So are still Mrs nina3819 Husbandslastname

Another anecdote.

My great-aunt Kate, for whom my mother and my eldest is named, found out at age 40+ that her name was, on her birth certificate, Eunice.

Her father liked Eunice and her mother hated it. So when she was born and he had to go register the birth at the courthouse he put ‘Eunice’ and just told everyone it was ‘Kate’. She went more than half her life without knowing. She kept using Kate and ignored the issue and never had a problem with it after she found out.

Well, “Kate” is a tall sexy redhead, and “Eunice” is a cute geeky sexy Korean. Both are equally attractive, but they are very different. Which was your great-aunt? :slight_smile:

Same with my mom! Eunice must be one of those names that nobody likes except the person who bestows it. Mom went by Gwen, short for Gwendola, rather than the much prettier Gwendolyn. I don’t know when she discovered she was a Eunice – I think she was in her 20’s.

I’m not an attorney, but I am a paralegal, and this IS NOT legal advice.

Maybe the birth certificate is the document that is wrong. A birth certificate is by no means the only legal document that identifies a person by his or her name, and it certainly is not an ultimate all-powerful piece of paper that absolutely must be obeyed. If the birth certificate had another piece of information incorrect, such as maybe “gender”, certainly that would not automatically change your husband’s sex, right?

Please ask your husband how he got all these other documents without having his birth certificate.

When I was 16 I took my birth certificate with me to get my driver’s license - and discovered to my and my parents’ embarrassment that what I’d been using as my name all my life wasn’t the name on my birth certificate. What’s worse, my birth certificate listed me as “John Doe Jr” and my father’s name wasn’t “John Doe”.

My parents applied for something called a “certificate of name change” (this was in New Jersey). The officlal folks took away my birth certificate when they gave me my certificate of name change, and for the last 45 years I’ve been presenting that certificate of name change whenever I was asked for a birth certificate (in several states and when applying for a federal passport) and nobody has ever even asked me a quaestion about it, so it must be a fairly common occurrence.

Definitely happens. Mrs. FtG’s mother’s birth certificate has the wrong date of birth.

I have a friend that was born in an inner-city hospital in Wash., DC. They preprinted all of the birth certificates with the same race already filled in. My friend is white, but her b.c. says she’s black.

God, if you found out you were actually Eunice all this time wouldn’t you just throw up and never be able to stop?

I have always spelled my middle name Elliott, it’s my father’s middle name and I gave it to my son. It wasn’t till I was in my mid 20’s that I found out whoever filled out the certificate when I was born dropped the last T. It wasn’t a problem when I applied for a passport a few years ago, the gal at the post office said it was close enough.

Not unless my mother’s name was Thelma.

Boy, that could have come in handy if one is applying to certain selective graduate or professional schools. :smiley:

Cheers,

bcg

I’m always baffled by these stories (especially the Oprah/Orpah one). How is it that your father never once called you Eunice to your face (the name he preferred?) How did you even get a copy of your birth certificate if you gave them a different name to look up than you thought was on the certificate?

My brother discovered, when his twin daughters were nearly 16, that the birthdate on one birth certificate was incorrect. The clerk had transposed 12 to 21. It only cost them a few dollars to get it corrected.