Glee - Premiere Episode 5/19/09

Meh.

Actually, worse than “meh”. Not one funny joke in the whole first 40 minutes. Totally unfunny.

However, the upbeat glee club version of “Rehab” was very cute and funny.

Everything else is just…tired.

Wow… opposite reaction from you entirely.

I absolutely loved it. The deliciously evil cheerleader coach, the pot selling former glee club teacher, to the wife who is on her feet “4 hours a day, 3 days a week”! Coupled with some fun music and an underdog feel throughout… I’m hooked.

I’m just bummed I’ll have to wait until fall.

I didn’t think it was THAT bad. I got a few laughs and I’m interested to see where it goes. I don’t think you can ever properly judge a show by its pilot; after all, the pilot focuses on setting up the characters and story. Now with that done, I’m anxious to see where it goes.

I loved it too and I’m disappointed that I’ll have to wait until fall to see it again.

I, too, enjoyed it.
I liked the various musical arrangements…was that Golliwog’s Cakewalk they kept singing?
TV can do worse; I’d watch this again to see where it goes.

I liked it. The leads all played their parts well, especially the main girl and the main teacher. As a teacher myself, I can really identify with the conflict he faced about giving it up.

It was like the first act of a John Hughes 80’s teen movie. It’ll be interesting to see how it develops beyond that.

I thought it was kind of weird. I didn’t laugh at all, but it was sort of endearing (I think? I’m not really sure) and there are a couple of cute guys in the cast (of this I am certain).

But I was just sort of confused, I guess. The show seems to me to be aiming for a quirky, colorful atmosphere like, I dunno, Ugly Betty or Pushing Daisies or something, but it sort of fell flat since, well, it wasn’t funny or clever.

The atmosphere of the show is super gay, but the only gay character is one among a gallery of stereotypes, and what appear to be the two main characters are both straight white guys.

I liked the music a lot (downloaded “Don’t Stop Believin’” and “Rehab” off iTunes when it was over), but I was really surprised by how lifeless the show itself felt.

I’ll probably tune in when it comes back in the fall, but I can’t imagine this show is going to last five minutes during a normal season. I’m predicting the usual slow, painful Fox death for it.

I thought it was a good show. The redhead was adorable. I can’t wait for the season to start.

Absolutely loved it!! But, I love musicals so I am probably the target audience.

Wait what?! That was just a preview, and the real show isn’t coming til Fall?

<looks up Wikipedia page and sees it’ll actually air in September>

Well ain’t that a bitch. I figure that will be just enough time for everyone to completely forget the show and all the hype/momentum Fox has built around it. Then again, I guess they were really determined for the show to be successful so they had to use American Idol as a lead-in before it wrapped up. I’m interested to see if their tactic will be successful or a failure.

My opinions echoes that of shy guy. I kept waiting for more to happen. None of the actors have any presence.

So people who aren’t big fans of High School Musical watched this? I’ll be damned. I didn’t think adults had any interest in it.

Can I claim royalties?

I loved it! But my damn DVR cut off just before the end of Don’t Stop Believin’ (man, that song is getting to be a real pop culture touchstone these days). Can anyone tell me what I missed?

Loved it, although I will admit I was working and had it on in the background so wasn’t paying attention to every detail. Characters and plot were a bit contrived, but hey, it’s tv and that’s the way it goes. I’m just a sucker for the feeling of the show - - the whole underdog thing and the performances, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Just loved the one at the end. Feel good stuff, not critically-acclaimed, just “feel good”. Can’t wait for my high schooler to see it. She went to bed early and missed it. This is one we can definitely share, which is nice.

I loved it. I wasn’t looking for “jokes,” just knowing performances, and I got them. The tag at the end said Fox will be rerunning it throughout the summer, so I will rewatch.

I missed most of it while I was walking the dogs, and came in to the do the dinner dishes. It was on in the other room and I really enjoyed the music. I’ll probably check it out in the fall.

The few minutes I actually looked at the screen kinda reminded me of “Fame.”

While the show itself was pretty meh and predictable, I have to give them credit for actually coming up with a listenable version of Don’t Stop Believin.’ I’ve always found the original version incredibly irritating, but as a high school musical performance, it actually kind of works.

I thought the tag on the end said that Fox will be running it online throughout the summer. But, anyway, I liked it. It wasn’t laugh out loud funny, but it was good.

I watched it on hulu after seeing on this thread that except for the OP it was mostly well received.
I also enjoyed it. I think the show has a lot of heart. A LOT of it, but more heart than substance is what makes me feel it was lacking. I can always chalk that up to it being a premiere and spending so much time introducing us to the characters. But I won’t know until Fall :frowning: And bring more funny (not slapstick). I smiled at a few things, but only really laughed at the principal.

singular1 After they ended the song, Mr. Shuester walks up clapping and starts giving notes. -Are you staying? -yes
And then some images of the cheerios frowning and the other footballer turning his back on the proceedings…

Mr Shuester: “From the top.”
-BLACK-