What were these childhood paper creations called, and how do you make them?

Girls might know what I am talking about. Let’s see if I can describe these correctly.

We would take paper and fold them into these sort of rose-like shapes. The resulting item would have four sides. On each side we’d write numbers. You’d have to choose a number, then we’d open and close it that many times. Then you chose another one, and same thing. Then you’d open that side of the flower, and inside would be written a fortune, or something like that.

Any ideas? I can try to describe it more if I need to.

Boys had them where I lived too. We used colors, and spelled them out IIRC.

Don’t recall what they are called, but give me a square paper and I bet I could make one from muscle memory after at least 40 years!

Apparently they’re called fortune tellers, but that’s not the term we used.

Google paper fortune teller. I always call stuff like that “middle school origami”. I can still make paper throwing stars - I just made a handful the other day, out of the tear sheets from some netflix envelopes.

We called them ‘cootie catchers’; no, I’m not sure why.

How to make them: How to Make a Cootie Catcher | MomsMinivan.com

Yep, cootie catchers.

Cootie catchers?

My girls call them both fortune tellers and cootie catchers, and regularly drive me mad with requests for questions they can fortune-tell for me.

Yes. Cootie catchers.

Incidentally, I once saw the instructions in a book and the thing was called a ‘candy dish’. Apparently the author thought that if you put it face-down on a table, the pockets where you’d put your fingers were just right for holding little candies.

Of course if you turn them upside-down like that the cooties can get out.

It’s so odd that this popped up! I was having a discussion about these very things just this weekend with my best friend, her husband & my boyfriend; we were trying to remember how they were made.

As for what they were called… I’m not sure if I ever knew. While discussing, we just called them “those fortune-telling thingies”.

There’s a South Park episode about them – the girls play with one at a slumber party and the boys believe it gives them real psychic powers.

We always called them fortune tellers.

We called them cootie catchers. Not sure that I ever really learned how to make one, though. I grew up in mid-Michigan (or, more accurately, middle of the lower peninsula).

Isn’t this the kind of thing where someone should be mapping what these are called in different parts of the Doper world? :smiley:

We always called them Chinese fortune tellers.

Wow, we used to make these too. I had no idea it was a globally known thing.

That’s easy. What a boy would do is snap the thing near a girl, have her go through the rigmarole, and then have them open a flap. A drawing of bugs would be underneath (the thing was rigged, of course, so that was all they could get). The boy would say “those are the cooties I caught from you!”

Hours of juvenile fun!

At my school they were called chatterboxes.

Fortune tellers! Though my boss, who is fifteen years older, claims they are cootie catchers. Methinks that is a generational gap right there.

I’m going to make one. Thanks, all!

OMG, I think I’ve just unearthed a repressed memory. I won’t look straight at it and maybe it will go away again.

In rural Oklahoma they were called fortune tellers. They’re easy to fold. Basically all you do is take a square sheet of paper, fold the 4 corners into the center, flip it over, and fold the 4 corners into the center again.

The hardest part is then positioning it so you can stick your fingers into the crevices.