Can i still coll[e]ct unemployment if I move out of the country?

I recently got laid off due to budget cuts (thanks Pawlenty!). One option i am considering is teaching English in Taiwan. My brother did it and had a great experience. The work would only be part time and i have a tone of student loan debt. Can i still collect partial unemployment if i live in Taiwan?

See …

[ul]
[li]http://www.uimn.org/ui/faq_elig.htm[/li][li]http://www.uimn.org/ui/fraud.htm[/li][/ul]

I’ve read Nigerian con spams more literate than your post. You might want to reconsider teaching English. For example, “I”, the pronoun, is always capitalized. Collrct is spelled “collect”. “Tone” is spelled “ton”. A second grade student shouldn’t make the mistakes you made.

This sort of snark isn’t permitted in the General Questions forum. Please do not do this again. No warning issued.

Gfactor
General Questions Moderator

Fixed spelling in thread title.

Gfactor

If you are working you can’t legally draw unemployment.

There are, I think, some exceptions in some states if you’re only making diddly squat. But my guess is that whatever you’d be making teaching english would be, at the least, squat and so over that possible limit.

I don’t have a definitive answer to the living overseas part, but in general to collect unemployment while working part time, you need to be available for and looking for full-time work, and demonstrate that to the unemployment office.

I wrote it on my iPod. Thanks for the constructive post though, you’re a real gem.

I already asked him to quit the snark, lets not continue the hostilities.

Gfactor

Ok, so forgetting the part-time bit, what about generally? Sticking with the English-teaching job, what happens if you get laid off of that? Can you collect unemployment? Alternately, supposing I’m already collecting unemployment (like, if I’m laid off now), and I move to Taiwan looking for an English teaching job. Can I collect unemployment while I’m there?

Jurisdictions vary on the treatment of part-time work. Here’s a typical scheme:

Unemployment Insurance Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Many states permit you to leave the jurisdiction and keep getting benefits:

Unemployment Insurance Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What state do you live in?

Minnesota

(Emphasis added.) http://www.uimn.org/ui/faq_elig.htm

It depends on the laws of the two countries you’re moving between. Some countries have treaties concerning unemployment benefits. For instance, someone who is collecting unemployment benefits in Germany can move to the UK and still collect their benefit; their claim will be transferred from the German Arbeitsamt to the UK Department of Work and Pensions, and then be paid to them by the DWP in pounds. I suspect this arrangement holds for all countries within the EU.

The best thing to do is to contact your local unemployment office and ask whether it’s possible to continue to collect your benefit abroad, or whether there is any provision to transfer the benefit to the relevant unemployment office in Taiwan. Even if that’s not possible, you may be able to make a new claim for unemployment in Taiwan, provided you are eligible. (In most jurisdictions, this would mean that you have legal permanent residency status. If you’re just there on a temporary visa, you probably won’t be able to collect anything.)

I work for Unemployment in New Jersey. I do not know what state you are in nor is the advise I’m going to give be specific to you in your situation.

As far as NJ is concerned if you are working under 32 hours a week and earning less than your partial benefits you can live anywhere that we have a reciprocal agreement with. That means any US State and PR as well as Canada.

I do not know of any other country you can move to and still collect unemployment benefits in.

Given the rather unusual status of Taiwan on the world diplomatic scene, it strikes me as somewhat unlikely that the United States would have signed a treaty with them concerning unemployment benefits.

You know what happens when you lose your job teaching English in South Korea? You leave the country. Also, South Korea does have unemployment insurance but for E-2 visa holders, they cannot draw the bennies. That’s why we don’t pay into the UI fund.

Or concerning anything, for that matter, since we don’t officially recognize their government.

Are we talking legally or practically here?

I’m under the impression that nowadays any kind of verifications for unemployment is done via phone. So, I would think as long as your cell phone works in Taiwan, you could get by. They are certainly not going to be informed about your Taiwanese earnings.