Where did Blond hair come from?

:confused:So where did it come from. I have never hear or read about blond cavemen and women.

For the effort of chiming in first, it’s blonde. :slight_smile:

And I think it’s mostly from scandanavia/geman descent. I was the blondest kid you’ve ever seen in your life (german), but it eventually turned brown.

it can be spelled both ways. its in the dictionary.

I don’t ever read or hear about hair at all; I’m not sure there’s a lot to go on, there. That said, the general pallor of northern Europeans is generally credited to the lower UV exposure in those latitudes. There are reasons to argue with this, but that’s really all we’ve got. Blond is the natural color of unpigmented hair; any mutation that reduces melanin in the skin is probably associated with reducing melanin in the hair as well. The skin change allows more UV through, which is harmful in the tropics but beneficial in the arctic. Other northern peoples apparently got by OK without such a mutation popping up, but where it did arise, blonds out-competed their darker cousins. Under the theory above this was due to a survival advantage, but it might have been due to reproductive advantage, as blondes are well-known to have more fun.

I take it you’ve never seen One Million Years BC.

More seriously, this article suggests that blond hair and blue eyes might have evolved in Northern Europe near the end of the ice age as a means of sexual selection.

To have dark hair and/or skin, you need the enzymes that produce the dark pigments. It is very easy for a mutation to destroy the function of an enzyme, or to prevent its production, therefore it will happen from time to time.

In an environment where humans need the sun-protection afforded by the dark color, individuals carrying these mutations on both copies of the gene will remain a rare exception.

In an environment where lack of pigmentation confers a selective advantage, either by allowing for more efficient production of vitamin D in northern latitudes, or through mating preferences, or for whatever other reasons, individuals carrying these mutations will become more frequent over the course of many generations.

I’ve never heard about brown or ginger in early humans, nor that they were fond of or exclusively lived in caves.

From dictionary.com:

So not really.

A blond moment there!

It is a loan word from French, and as such usually still follows the French gender system, so a fair haired woman is blonde and a fair haired man is blond. (Of course our culture seems to care more more about women’s hair color than about men’s, so you tend to see the feminine form more often.)

Do we actually have any evidence one way or another about hair color in paleolithic man? Hair surely does not fossilize well.

Why wouldnt you have heard of a blonde caveman? Do you mean artist’s depictions or imagery in popular media. Well, thats not science.

Early humans werent much different than we are today. They came in all sorts of colors. The invisible hand of evolution doesnt care if youre a modern or early human. If you arent making enough vitamin D from lack of sun exposure then those who are more fit and have more children will be those with lighter skin and lighter hair, as the two have a genetic relationship. Areas of the earth with less sunlight like in northern Europe will tend to select for this.

“It’s” also in the dictionary, and since we are picking on the subtle differences in word spelling, it’s also the correct spelling for the start of your second sentence. Caps would help, too.

Nah, they’re just easier to spot in the dark.

It’s a mutation. At some point a child (or more likely several, independent of one another) was born, probably somewhere in present-day Eastern Europe or Western Asia, with a mutant gene which encoded for light yellowish hair; the mutation was either beneficial in cold climates, or at least not harmful, so the child lived to reproduce, and so the mutant gene spread.

Mine comes from Clairol.

Depends on how you define “early humans”. Until we migrated out of Africa, some 50 or 60 thousand years ago, it’s unlikely that we had the broad range of features and shades of skin/hair we see in the world today. We don’t have a way of knowing that for sure, but it’s unlikely.

We can see some echoes of what are generally considered non-African features in the San Bushmen of Southern Africa and some other populations, but just a hint.

I have a hard time believing sexual selection as the reason for blond hair or a light complexion. Blond people may get their first pick of mates, but men are just not that picky. Every culture I can think of adapted to an excess of available females through some sort of polygamy arrangement even if it was the more restrained Hebrew practice of having a widow’s husband’s brother get her pregnant.

The cited article says that blond hair is associated with higher estrogen levels. Isn’t that a better link for the spread than sexual selection? If blond hair was naturally more attractive to mates, you wouldn’t need higher estrogen levels to go with it.

Evolution isn’t about need. Not every characteristic is selected for; some are beneficial, but some just aren’t detrimental and stick around.

I don’t think so. Some old people have white hair that is quite different from the yellow associated with blond hair. I would say the absence of pigment is white hair.

I thought women and men are both blond, but a blond woman is a blonde and a blond man is a blond.

Probably true. The ‘yellow hair’ pigment is one that, I suppose, seldom turns off except in cases of extreme age or albinism. Blondness is the absence of the other, darker pigments.