Finding name of previous resident of given address

Suppose I was interested in finding a guy I was on a first name basis several years ago. I have a first name, and an address (previous). What is the best (hopefully free) method of finding said person? Or at the very least find a last name to help in the search?

If the previous address you have is a hoe he owned, the deed for that property, including a listing of previous owners, should be availalble from the county. Usually for free. You used to have to go to the county courthouse for this, but now many counties have such records available online.

In many places there are property directories which frequently libraries will have copies of. A branch library might not keep copies of older directories but a central library should. (The one I saw for a place I once owned also had the purchase price, amount of mortgage and lender. And this was before everything got computerized. Can’t imagine what they’re tracking now.)

Get to a library and ask one of the fine helpful people there.

I’m sorry, I should have clarified. The address is an apartment. I also know a previous employer (several years ago, in a high turnover locale). But I think that I wouldn’t recieve much cooperation if I were to ask the previous employer or landlord for information.

In the library reference section they have a “city directory” that shows who’s at each address. It is not completely accurate, but does have a good percentage of people listed. You may have to check a couple of editions to get the right year, because there are lags in reporting.