Meaning of 'Love Thyself' Bible Quote...

Mark 12:31 says you should love your neighbor as yourself. Now, does this mean you (1) should love your neighbor AND love yourself? Or, does it mean you should (2) love your neighbor as you are ALREADY loving yourself?

I have heard people make claims for both of these interpretations. What we really need here is someone familiar with the original Hebrew. But feel free to take an educated guess too, as long as you provide support for what you claim.

Thank you in advance to all who reply:)

I believe it’s only in the New testament, so I’d find somebody familiar with the original Greek.

If I have time, I’ll do an interlinear/concordance search, which may give light.

Best wishes,
hh

This page http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/NTpdf/mar12.pdf
and a strong’s concordance indicate that you are already loving yourself.

Best wishes

I don’t believe that the original Hebrew for Mark is available, but he was cribbing from Leviticus 19:18, which is.

Love thy neighbour… But don’t get caught! :smiley:

My interpretation is that you should love your neighbour as much as you love yourself; the assumption being that you love yourself.

I’ve also heard the interpretation (which I will not attempt to defend) that, despite that passage, you’re not supposed to actually love yourself. I’m not sure how that’s supposed to work, though.

So if you’re suicidal, it’s okay to kill your neighbor?

Little-known fact, the original verse is “Love yourself, but make sure your parents don’t see.”

If you’re hungry, you should cram food in your neighbour’s mouth. And if you’re hot, you should take off his shirt. Or… not.

I know this will not be well received here but no-matter,
Agapē.
[It is parental love seen as creating goodness in the world, it is the way God is seen to love humanity, and it is seen as the kind of love that Christians aspire to have for others.]

Philia.
[Also known as "brotherly love]
Although has been preverted by many,
[s a human response to something that is found to be delightful.]

Eros.
[(pronounced /ˈɪrɒs/ or /ˈɛrɒs/; ἔρως érōs), also called marital love, is passionate love, with sensual desire and longing. The Modern Greek word “erotas” means “(romantic) love”. The term erotic is derived from eros.]
This is the way foolish people think Philia love also involves.(IMHO)
This form of love is not found in the New Testament.
It is found in the Old, as that goes along with Gods command of “Be Fruitful and Multiply, Fill the earth”. {Genesis 9-1}

The traditional Jewish interpretation of this is in the negative sense: What you wouldn’t want done to you, don’t do to someone else.

In the more practical sense, obviously you and your neighbor do not (necessarily) have the same feelings, tastes, etc. But the idea is, put yourself in your neighbor’s shoes - if you felt the way he feels about X, would you want action Y done to you?

Why wouldn’t it be well received? I don’t think anyone here would dispute that there are several different words in the Greek that are all rendered ‘love’ in English. (In this passage, it is agapē)

I guess it would depend on how the not loving yourself was phrased. English is a little challenging given the number of definitions and connotations applied to the word “love”

So, obviously loving yourself in the sense of being proud, self-centered, selfish or narcissistic is bad. But even the most truly humble person should be able to say “I was made by God to be a special, valued person with unique skills and abilities. In fact, He thought I was worth dying for.”

But I suppose there are the extremists out there…