Cult Movies You Love

So, the local actor’s theatre holds Cult Movie Mondays on the last Monday of every month.

Admission is free and so is the popcorn. They do collect donations to support their local plays and all that - and I usually kick in a fiver. But still - it’s a fun night out.

Now, I’ll be the first to admit that the only real Cult Movie classics I thought of at first was Rocky Horror Picture Show. And indeed, they did show that at Halloween last year - with a live cast who acted things out - and little RHPS kits that you could buy so you could do all the actions at the right time.

But this monthly event has also introduced me to some other movies I had never seen before like:
[ul]
[li]Cleopatra Jones[/li][li]Army of Darkness: Evil Dead 3[/li][li]*Grey Gardens *(the original 1970s documentary)[/li][li]*Death Race 2000 *(which I just saw last night)[/li][li]Psycho Beach Party[/li][/ul]

In addition, they’ve shown:
[ul]
[li]Kentucky Fried Movie[/li][li]Lost Boys[/li][li]The Nightmare Before Christmas[/li][li]To Wong Foo, With Love[/li][/ul]

I’m really loving discovering these movies. It’s been a hoot and a half. So, I was wondering - what other cult classic movies do you love to watch?

The Big Lebowski

I don’t know if it is a true cult movie but Heathers is one of my all time favorites and the same for Best in Show.

Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

Schizopolis
Withnail And I

Don’t know if these count as cult movies, but if so, I’d add Better Off Dead and Miller’s Crossing.

Freddy Got Fingered. Yeah. I’m that guy.

Don’t know if it’s really a cult movie, but it should be: Shakes the Clown.

***Freaks ***does it for me.

Not sure if these qualify as cult movies or not, but:

Harold and Maude
The Last Dragon

I also enjoy rock-related movies, especially the older ones – like the Beatles movies, 200 Motels, and (from a few years later on) Rock & Roll High School. Plus concert movies like Monterey Pop, Woodstock, Message to Love, Gimme Shelter, Don’t Look Back, etc.

Also a fan of old animation, like Gulliver’s Travels, Fantasia, and (not quite so old) Fantastic Planet.

Caddyshack
Waiting For Guffman
Stripes
Murder By Death
Best In Show

Mad Dog and Glory - too high profile cast (de Niro, Murray and Thurman) to qualify as a cult movie I guess, but as far as I know it wasn’t well received and isn’t well known, but I love it. Definitely worth seeing. One IMDB reviewer sums it up as “Pretty Woman” meets “Fargo”. Which is fair enough in that it’s partly “creepy romantic fairy tale”, but it’s much better than PW.

Also, for some reason I actually liked Tank Girl.

Oh, and DEBS was fun.

Two-Lane Blacktop
Phantom of the Paradise

and we can’t forget The Rocky Horror Picture Show!

Repo Man

Freeway - my favorite movie of all time. Reece Witherspoon as a semi-illiterate, trailer trash little red riding hood.

Suburbia - the 80s, punk one directed by Penelope Spheeris. The acting is oh, so bad, which makes the movie so, so much better.

Black Mama, White Mama - You got your women in prison movie in my blaxsploitation flick! Well, you got your blaxsploitation flick in my women in prison movie! It’s two great tastes that taste great together. Also, boobs.

The Loved One - I am willing to bet that John Waters saw and loved this movie.

And, on that note, any John Waters movie.

Harold and Maude (cjepson beat me to it!)
Them
Drop Dead Fred
Kingpin

Caddyshack and Stripes are cult movies?

In my definition, absolutely they are…

Phantom of the Paradise

The Loved One

**They Live

The Boondock Saints

Serenity**

Don’t worry so am I. Well I liked it when I saw it, I’ve only seen it once though. I did like it and would probably watch it again.