NYC restaurant recommendation needed

A friend and I are meeting in NYC for a comedy show on Saturday night, and we’d like to do dinner beforehand. The hiccup is that she is vegan, and I’m not. :slight_smile: We’re sure there are places that have vegan/vegetarian sections of their menu, but neither of us know any offhand. I figure Japanese might be a good place to start, but I’m open to suggestions. If it helps, the theater we’re going to is on 53rd and 8th. Thanks!

Kashkaval
9th ave btween 55th & 56th.

It’s actually a fancy deli/cheese store with about 6 tables and a wine bar in the back. You can order a selection of items off their tapas menu (many vegetarian quite a lot vegan) or a selection of fancy meats & cheeses, as you prefer.

It’s not “fancy restaurant” atmosphere though, if that’s what you’re looking for. It’s kind of “baby bistro… with a deli in front.”

Zen Palate is good. 46th & 9th.

I was all set to help you out until you mentioned she was a vegan. I have no non-meat suggestions except that there are quite a number of tasty Thai places around there you might enjoy.

Indian food is a good choice for vegans dining with non-vegans.

MenuPages results, Indian restaurants west side midtown

I’ll 2nd Zen Palate. I’m about as far from a vegan as one can be, but that place has a way of making you forget the animal stuffs you’re missing.

That whole street (46th from 8th to 9th ave) is called “Restuarant Row”. You should be able to find something you like there.

My friend happened to find a Mexican chain called Blockheads that has vegan options so that’s where we’re going. Thanks for the suggestions!

Really? Because in my experience, even vegetarian Indian food involves lots of dairy products.