Community 4/22 "Consolidated American Poultry"

Anyone else watch this last night? For me, it was the best episode of the season.

Loved the *Goodfellas *parody (w/ the perfect musical backgrounds). So many great moments, but especially loved Annie in this one.

Pierce w/ the Ed Hardy hat and entourage was great and loved when Jeff said his entourage was hackneyed and straight out of a 90s ski movie.

Abed as a crime boss. “Annie’s Boobs”, the Sixteen Candles ending. Starburns. All of it good.

I knew this was going to be a great episode as soon as the freeze-frame on Abed, who voices over, “ever since I was a little kid I wanted to be in a mob movie.”

Excellent episode. I will definitely watch it again. Would have maybe seemed strange if you hadn’t watched Goodfellas. Loved the diner scene where the group is assembled and looking like a mob family. Will pay more attention when I watch it again to see if there are any long continuous camera shots like in Goodfellas. I imagine they had to set aside a good part of their budget for this episode to pay for copyrites.

As I remember, there was a tracking shot of Abed bringing the chicken fingers out to the gang, but it wasn’t nearly as impressive as the tracking shot following Henry and Karen into the Copacabana nightclub. And I don’t think they had to pay for copyrights, since this was clearly, obvious parody. (Plus, they didn’t really use anything from Goodfellas.)

(And, nitpick, but to me it looked like they weren’t eating chicken fingers, but instead fried chicken. Possible fried chicken wings. Unless chicken fingers mean something different.)

It looked to me like they were eating big chunky chicken fingers w/ lots of crunchy breading. My favorite kind.

To me, chicken fingers are breaded and deep-fried strips of chicken breast meat. I think that’s what they were eating. I enjoyed when the whole table “toasted” with the chicken fingers, and then vegetarian Brita quickly dropped the chicken and wiped off her fingers.

I had to go back and pause to see that under the newspaper headline “Star-Gate” there was a small line saying “Reference to Watergate, not the 1994 sci-fi film.”

Not just GoodFellas, but the very final scene of The Godfather (w/the door closing on Michael) was parodied as well.

OK. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten chicken fingers. I was imagining that they were something like fishsticks, only made of chicken.

I’ve never not enjoyed a Community episode but I think this is one of my favorites.

madness

Annies Boobs was hairy. :slight_smile:

I need to feed a banana to Annies Boobs.

Great episode.

Madness?

THIS! IS! CHICKEN!

This episode made me really want chicken fingers. :slight_smile:

It’s been parodied so many other times that Pop Culture Osmosis has set in.

Man, this episode was streets ahead!!!

Best line of the night:

Glover nails the delivery of lines like these every time. Intense without a hint of sarcasm.

Troy didn’t appreciate Annie’s Boobs enough. Now Annie’s Boobs are free.

This show is streets ahead of anything else on television.

I loved the Abed Mafia Movie narration instantly. But when the Layla montage from Goodfellas started I was gone. This episode joins Introduction to Statistics and Physical Education as a favorite. (Speaking of which, we haven’t seen the girl from that episode again. Drat.) Love the switching shirts thing in the bumper. Had to rewind and watch again to make sure.

I thought the shot of Jeff looking across the cafeteria at Abed and his gang was more reminiscent of a PR shot for The Sopranos.

Which brings back the question of copyrights and money. Record companies have a wide latitude on what to charge for rights. For an unknown band trying to break out they charge very little, or maybe even pay for the plug. But for a Werewolves of London or a Layla you know there is no discount. The cost for syndication and DVDs must be amazing.

Again, this is the only show where I quickly rewatch episodes.

These were the bad times.

I don’t watch Law & Order (do they still write that show or is it so huge it can reproduce itself now?) but for anybody who does: Abed’s line about “they stole that for a seasonal arc on L&O, total ripoff”- is that true?

I loved the Family organizational chart. Freeze frame has some cool LIKES, NEEDS and FUNCTIONS.

throwaway line:
after Jeff suggests they get starburns fired
::unintelligible arguing::
brita (amidst yelling): he really relies on that income

It used to be, but since DVDs are big, you can bet that there is a standard payment that included DVDs. It only was an issue back before that was a factor (e.g., WKRP in Cincinnati) and a new permission had to be granted. You can bet the producer had nailed the rights issue before using the song.

I haven’t seen Goodfellas, but the episode was still brilliant.