First name with most spelling variations?

What common first name has the most spelling variations with the same pronunciation? For instance, Mohammed and Muhammed are pronounced the same, but Mahmoud isn’t, so doesn’t count. Neither does Joe/Jose. Neither does Jon/John, as Jon is usually short for Jonathan.

I’m thinking that the winner has to be Kristin/Kristen/Christin/Christen etc.

I would guess “Caitlin.”

Kaitlyn, Katelyn, Kaitlin, Katelynn, Katlyn, Kaitlynn, Katelin, Katlynn, Kaitlin, Caitlyn, Caitlynn.

I’ve seen Vikki, Vikky, Viki, Vykki, and Vycci. Seriously, the last one I just talked to a few minutes ago.

Vicki, Vickie, Vicky? Some of those are short for Victoria, but others clearly are not.

What about Vicki and Vicky?

However Catherine/Katharine/Cathrin/etc. has a lot of variations.

From Thinkbabynames.com:

Many of these don’t really fit into the question raised by the OP, but you’re still left with around 100 that do.

I think ‘Monique’ may have a lot of spelling variations. Recently, I saw it spelled ‘Maniaq’- LOL!
‘Meet my daughter, Maniac!’

“Your daughter’s a maniac, a maniac on the floor…”

I agree with Catherine and all variations thereof.

First one to come to mind: Antoine. Sean is another.

My biggest problem is with Alan, Allan, Allen. My boss is one of them and I always have to look it up to get it right.

There’s Marc, and Mark and Marq and Marck and Marke

I’ve known people with all those spellings and none were short for anything

Antoine is pretty bad. A fun thing to do is look at early NFL preseason rosters and see how many different spellings of Antoine you can find. Highest I’ve seen is the low teens, and that wasn’t counting Antonio.

Technically, Caitlin is the Irish version of Kathleen, and is pronounced similarly. Kaitlin, Catelynn, and all those are pronounced a bit differently.

Probably won’t win, but:

Carrie, Cary*, Kari, Cari, Kerry, Kerri, Keri, Carey, etc.

I guess we should set a bar that each variant has to be in the top x names or appear on a baby name site or something. Else I could just say that Kreiaghhhj is a variant of “Craig.”

*Usually male

I agree that it’s gotta be Katherine, with at least 32 variants, NOT including variants such as “Katharine” that would have three distinct syllables, or “Katrine” which would be pronounced differently.

Cathrin, Cathryn, Cathrinn, Cathrynn
Cathrine, Cathryne, Cathrinne, Cathrynne

Catherin, Catheryn, Catherinn, Catherynn
Catherine, Catheryne, Catherinne, Catherynne

Kathrin, Kathryn, Kathrinn, Kathrynn
Kathrine, Kathryne, Kathrinne, Kathrynne

Katherin, Katheryn, Katherinn, Katherynn
Kattherine, Katheryne, Katherinne, Katherynne

But K and C are pretty much interchangeable so that gives names with K and or C (as well as S and C) an advantage :slight_smile:

Lindsay has got to be up there somewhere, and in the running for surname as well. From “Clan Lindsay” on wikipedia:

Clan Lindsay

Do you count Carrie and Kerry as variants of the same name?

Yup, gotta be Catherine. Especially since you could include Katharine/Catharine with an a, too, as I’ve known a few people with that spelling who’ve pronounced it with two syllables, just like the spelling with an e.

Etymologically and literally? No. But in practice, someone wants to name their precious Carrie, so decides to go with Kerry or invent Kerreigh or whatever.

I think that would only be in those areas where Kerry and Carrie sound the same. I thought that, even there, people would be aware they’re not the same name, just like I know that write and right aren’t the same word.

You wouldn’t really think there could be many variations to Denise, but, behold:

Deniece, Dennise, Denyse, Deneese, Denese, Danise I’ve even seen a D’nise.

Sheesh.