Ask the guy in a perpetual state of readiness... for almost anything.

That’s right, I’m that guy. If it’s remotely capable of happening, I’ve probably got a plan, or six, and the supplies to deal with.

So, in this thread you can ask me things like, “Why the hell are you so prepared?” “What would you do in the event of [Insert Event Here]?” “Are you a nutjob?” (Probably) and more!
A bit of an example: In my car, I have a bag. In this bag, I have items which would see me through even an extended survival ordeal (indefinite), if necessary. But, this bag is small enough for me to carry on my own.

In the bag: A full change of clothing (Shorts, Jeans, Underwear, Tshirt, Hoodie, Undershirt, two pairs of socks), drier lint and flint (for starting fires, drier lint is takes a spark like mad), 4x3000 calorie bars (taste like shit), water purification tablets (a lot of 'em, they’re not very big) and a few boxes of water (like juice boxes, but filled with water) and a lot of gum. And a “trap guide” (incase I forget). The trap guide is like a farmers almanac of hunter-gathering, with basic stuff like telling you your location, what game is in that region, the best traps, etc.

I think I’ll also put a 10mm pistol in there, when I recover it and my boat from the bottom of the lake, or get a new one. :stuck_out_tongue:

You wouldn’t believe what super-sugary gum will do for you if you’re feeling tired while hiking.

There’s also stuff like my regular attire, which people thinks is weird. I wear Jeans and a tshirt, like everyone else, but I also wear two undershirts and thicker-than-average jeans. I can go out without a coat in almost any weather, and any but the hottest weather, I can leave all three shirts on.
ETA: Yes, I’m prepared for the Zombie apocalypse. Although not directly. I’m prepared for the zombie apocalypse by getting eaten quickly, and not having to be scared shitless for six months as they slowly hunt me down. That, or suicide. Not really sure yet.

Do you secretly hope that the world will go to hell in a hand casket so that you actually get to use all this stuff?

Use all what stuff?

The bag in my trunk isn’t incase the world goes to hell in a hand basket, it’s incase I wreck my car in a sparsely populated area (which I’ve been known to travel) and can’t get help immediately. It’s increasingly unlikely (thankfully) due to cellphones, but not unheard of.

I wrecked my car, recently, and luckily it was next to a gas station – the only one for fifteen miles either way. But if that gas station wasn’t there, I’d have had to either hike, or if I was unable, camp until someone saw me. I wouldn’t have been able to hike, because I bruised my leg, and was limping slightly at the time. I’d have been thankful for the food, water, etc. had I needed it. Especially so, since I had my two cousins in the car.

I hope I never need the stuff I use and have. I also hope I never need car or health insurance, but I maintain those as well.
ETA: And that’s not all that sparsely populated.
ETA2: I meant to put this in the OP, I’m headed to work, but I’ll answer all the questions in this thread when I get home…

I went hiking yesterday and the concept of being overprepared came up, so, what do you bring in your backpack on hiking trips?

Have you changed the oil in your portable generator since using it last? You know they can only run for 8 hours before needing to be serviced, right? Shame to lose one, desparately needed, at the onset of an emergency.

Do you have a plan to defeat Batman? (Are you secretly Batman?)

You do recognize it’s never the things you prep for and fret over that get you, in the end, it’s the things you could never have seen coming, right?

How much did everything cost?

I never had a full on survival kit type thing whenever I went on a trip, although I wish I did. All I brought with me is a really good blanket, some food, and some water.

My kids have stored enough old french fries under the seats of my car to keep me alive for days.

I’m pregnant and it’s yours. Quick- what are you going to do?

Ok, I’m subscribing to this puppy.
:slight_smile:

Do you give Batman pointers?

How often do you change the batteries on your smoke detectors?

I need to make someone… disappear. How do you propose going about it?

Your bag is notably lacking a Towel. Is there any particular reason for this omission?

You mention a Trap Guide but I don’t see any tools listed. Also, I think you should have a basic weapon, maybe a rudimentary lathe.

What? In case he runs into a wild 2x4?

Hmmm…in my car right now there are four 24 packs of Coke, a couple kitchen knives, some brownies, a winter coat, a rain poncho and some hardcover bestsellers. If I get lost, I’m sticking with the car and having a vacation day.

StG

were you an eagle scout?

I see nothing in your bag that indicates you are ready to rock.