Southeast Dopers: Urgent Help Needed, Dog Needs Home

I have received permission to post this from twickster, thank you kindly!

If anyone is interested in adopting a new pet, or knows someone who might be, please let me know. I would also be interested in finding doggy foster homes. I will be traveling from the Tallahassee area to St Louis, definite stops in Georgia and Tennessee. I can also travel some ways to meet someone, just about anywhere between here and Missouri. My email is in my profile, and I would appreciate any assistance or leads the boards can provide.

Animal shelters are not an option. I would rather stay here as long as it takes than sign their death warrants, I am realistic about their chances there. The local humane society does not accept surrendered pets from the public (bwuh?) and I can’t prove local residence anywhere else.

Details, and apologies for the wall of text:
After nearly three years of being unemployed here in the middle of nowhere, I have the opportunity to move to St Louis in hopes of finding work. Unfortunately, I will not be allowed to have my pets there. My heart is breaking to give any of them up, but at this point, I understand that the big girl panties must be pulled on and sacrifices must be made.

I am packed and ready to go, mail forwarded, father waiting for me. I cannot leave though until I can be assured of safe and loving homes for my animals.

I have 5 cats total, only two are looking for a home. The kittens can go to the shelter, they’ll need to be fixed and they’re young and cute with a fair chance of being adopted. There is a momma cat, Midnight who is about 4 years old. She was my ex boyfriend’s daughter’s cat, and when he split to Alaska I got stuck with her. She has not been spayed, which is how I came to have three kittens underfoot. Being unemployed, I have not had the resources to take adequate care of her, and this area has little in the area of low-cost veterinary options. Midnight is very sweet and affectionate, litter trained and loving. She gets along with other cats as well as dogs.

Gateway is about 7 years old, he came to me as an adult so I can’t be sure. He has been neutered and is healthy. He is my luhv-muffin, super affectionate. He is perfectly house trained and laid back. He’s used to dogs and other cats, though he may need a period of adjustment to get to know them. He’d be an excellent companion pet.

My biggest hurdle is my dog, Jax. I adopted him from the shelter in Macon, GA in May of 2005, and have raised him by my side ever since. He’s been my best (and sometimes only) friend, my constant companion since I have been down here on my own.

Jax is a neutered male, mostly black fur with faint tan stripes and a spotted tongue. He’s starting to go gray on his face. He weighs about 55 pounds, give or take 5 depending on the season. He has been raised as an indoor/outdoor dog, comfortable either way. He is completely house trained, has no bad habits. He only chews his own toys.

Jax can be very playful and active, or he’s happy to just chill out. He’s used to having lots of yard to run in, but would also do well with frequent walks. He could use some help with walking on a leash sometimes. Otherwise he knows many commands and tricks. Sit, stay, come, speak - he also recognizes the names of his toys (“go get the FOX, Bubba!”). While he can be excitable when meeting new people, if he jumps he responds well to a loud “NO” and a shove. He is gentle and patient with children, and was raised with several cats. He is kennel trained and comfortable sleeping there (“Go to BED!”).

He’s an excellent and protective watchdog. He only barks when on alert, and can be relied upon to alert his family of anything amiss.

Jax could use a full veterinary checkup and his vaccinations brought current. He has lived in Florida for 2.5 years and needs to be checked over for heartworm and other parasites. He has two layers of thick fur and is prone to shedding, but a weekly bath and frequent brushing keeps that to a minimum. Jax’s skin tends to flake and itch on his back, so it’s his favorite spot for a good scratch! His left ear is damaged from a bout with ear mites, he scratched a lot and hurt himself.

I wish you luck in finding homes.

Wish I could help, but I’m taking home tomorrow a dog I found dumped, and tried very home to find a home for.

Missed the edit - Jax is a Black Lab and Chow mix. Small end of large or large end of medium.

I hate to phrase it this way but if you do not find anyone else, I will take Jax.

That sounds bad so let me explain. I adore dogs and normally I would be beating down your door to take him since I have a Black Lab and Chow mix dog (who looks remarkably similar to your dog!) myself and we’ve been wanting to get another dog.

The only hesitation I have with jumping right up to adopt him is that I, too, am unemployed at present. If I still had my old job (or a new, good job) I wouldn’t hesitate at all because the situation would be perfect.

We are not hurting for money to the point that an additional dog would be a financial hardship but our current situation is not exactly ideal for adding a new member to the family at present.

However, I cannot bear the thought that he might go to a shelter or to someone who couldn’t give him the time and love he deserves so keep me in mind and I will gladly take him if those are the alternatives.

And if I get a job in the next week or so, I will let you know and please keep me posted on your search for a new home for Jax.

(I am in Tennessee and can travel a bit to meet you if needed.)

The honest truth is that your offer sounds great, evilbeth. I came to the boards as a last grasp, getting desperate kind of thing - and dogs are so very hard to rehome. You are the only one so far that has said “Yes, I’d love to take him!” and presumably has the means to care for him, what with having another similar buddy already.

I will definitely keep you posted!

One last bump, still desperate to find a loving home. Please feel free to contact me for any further details on any of the pets.

One of my issues is that I don’t live within range of any humane societies or ‘no-kill’ shelters accepting pets - and most need proof of local residence to accept surrenders. If anyone has any suggestions in that regard, I am also very interested in hearing them. Fostering programs, anything.

Thank you all for reading, I know I am asking a lot of anyone, but I also know I came to the right place!

I’m sending out emails to to the folks I know in South Mississippi, will let you know if anyone can take them.

Contact the member Quasimodem. He works with animal shelters in Georgia. He just finished a very long bike trek in the name of animals!

evilbeth if you do take Jax, PM me. I will send you a gift card for a pet store so you can get dog food and whatever else Jax needs.

You’re SO not evil, Beth.

To the OP: there’s no clear indication these folks are any more likely to take in Jax than other rescues, but they have a sense of mission and might listen to an appeal:

Double Dog Rescue

This is the organization seen in Animal Planet’s Last Chance Highway. They foster dogs in the South and carefully ship them to homes in the North.

They have a downloadable “surrender form” under the section “Why do people surrender their pets?”

One caveat: If you aspire to take Jax back once you get back on your feet, it’s likely that surrendering him to a shelter like this (as opposed to getting a private individual to take him in) would make that impossible.

If anyone in Florida is interested in Midnight, I might be able to help out with spaying.

You guys are all so awesome! I will poke Quasimodem and check out that site.

Have either of the cats ever been around kids? My mother’s boss might be a possbility for one of them, but he has three little kids (they’re like six, three, and an infant).

Yes, they’ve both been around small children and are not prone to scratching or mean bites. Gateway will sometimes gnaw on you a little when you’re scratching his sweet spots, though. As far as I know, not having thrown them into every possible situation, they’re all pretty well socialized and patient. They also grew up with my niece around, who went through an experimental phase in which many kitty tails were yanked.

… and I’ll be in touch.

Thanks for wanting to help them stay alive!

Q

Okay. Do you have any idea yet on your routes through TN and GA? If so, I could make a few calls and hopefully get you connected with someone along the way. Send me a pm asap, okay?

Thanks

Quasi

Jesus **evilbeth **that’s freaking huge! You go to the top of the Coolest Dopers Ever list.

Quite so! I lurve you guys!

Quasi has a PM. My travel route is entirely variable, depending on where a home might be found for my babies.

Got the PM, my friend and answered it. We’ll get those babies placed for ya’.

Thanks to evilbeth for being there for you!

Soooo many Dopers who not only care about their Doper friends, but also about Doper 4-footed friends.

It’s why I “lurve” dis place so much!

Quasi

Sigh. re: I Don't Appreciate Being Fucked With - About This Message Board - Straight Dope Message Board

There is no scam going on. The quoted passage Quasi posted in the ATMB thread was from my craigslist.org posting searching for people who might want to adopt my dog. A place where the only people who might have responded would be complete and total strangers to me. Where if someone was interested, I have little to no way or doing any background research on them or their lifestyle. I do not generally trust complete strangers, especially where it concerns the well-being of my pets, who are my family. Asking a rehoming fee of strangers, as partial insurance that they are serious about caring for a large animal, is SOP.

I would never ask anyone to BUY my dog, or any other pet. Note that I left that part out of my OP here on the Dope, because even though you’re all virtual strangers to me, I have considerably more trust of you than I do some random schmoe from Tallahassee.

**Quasi ** asked for permission to use parts of my OP for further information to share with folks he knew who might be able to help. As I gave that permission, I also offered the link to my craigslist ad as it may contain imformation I left out, such as Jax’s age.

I don’t want to scam anyone, I just want loving and safe homes for my pets. I can no longer provide that for them and still have a good life of my own, I am trying to do the responsible thing and find good homes rather than just dumping them off somewhere, or abandoning them. I apologize for any misunderstanding. Thank you all for your kind attention.

We looked into the whole thing this morning, and as far as the staff here is concerned, you’re in the clear. Quasi’s dementia sometimes takes the form of anger as well as confusion, and it looks to us as though he took what you said out of context and reacted badly to what he thought you said, not what you said.

It’s clear to me that your only concern is to find good homes for your pets, and I hope you’ll be able to do so.

twickster, for the SDMB