RIP Tony Curtis

Tony Curtis has died at 85. What can I say . . . he was one of the great ones, and will be sorely missed.

Perhaps I need to check out that whose dead website more often because I thought he was already dead.

He was great in Some Like It Hot.

Plus of course there are some lesser films – “Yonder lies the castle of my father” and all that.

You’re being ironic, of course, but I have to mention that I loved him in Spartacus and The Sweet Smell of Success and a few dozen other pictures.
And we’ve been over “Yonder Lies the Castle of my Faddah” often enough on this Board. In short, he said something sorta kinda similar, but not in the movie(s) most people attribute it to, and not as badly as that. That line is a dig at his accent, and I kinda sorta like the way they actually used that to dramatic purpose in Spartacus.

When I was a teen, he scared me to death in The Boston Strangler.

That would be the Dead People Server. It’s not dead yet, Jim.

Oh, no. I’ve seen him on TV only a couple of years ago. And not that long ago he was here in Boston performing in the musical version of Some Like it Hot* – as the older millionaire, not the guy in the band.

*which I suspect is just Sugar retitled, but I didn’t see it.

I am not a Tony Curtis fan. I have never bought a ticket, or rented a video, because he was in it.

And yet, whenever I have watched one of his movies, I have enjoyed it.

2003, according to a quick internet search. Longer than I thought, but still not long enough ago to make me think “isn’t he dead already?”

Another link to a golden era is gone and we are less because of it.

As a kid I loved Operation Petticoat

My favorite movie in which he was the star was probably The Defiant Ones.

Trivia: he was the biological father of the twins who played Adam on Bewitched. They were the result of a fling with a starlet, were placed for adoption at birth, and learned this later when they tracked their birth mother, by which time they looked just like him. Cite with pics. I don’t believe they ever had a relationship with Tony, but on an E! show on Bewitched one said he does have a relationship with Jaime Lee.

I always enjoyed Tony Curtis-he gave great performances in “Taras Bulba”, “Houdini”, and “The Great Imposter” (the last was his best, IMHO).
There aren’t too many guys like TC-he had a very wide range of roles, and a long career.
RIP.

I still love Operation Petticoat.

In my youth I loved The Great Race and Houdini. I sometimes wish that there was a channel that played those old movies.

stupid CAPs software!
TCM. :wink:

I didn’t mean to imply I don’t love it anymore. To be more accurate, I fell in love with it as a kid. I’d never switch pass it if I came across it on a Saturday afternoon. I’d smile and relax back in my chair and enjoy Curtis, Grant, pink sub and the rest all over again.

The last few times I’ve seen him on talk shows, when he was wearing that cowboy hat, he came across as a very ill man.

I read his autobiography, of course, and of course he fits right in with that breed of actor with problems with alcohol and drugs, divorces, affairs, and similar messy situations. One of those old “legends” dating and discarding and marrying and divorcing young girls (who think they’ve jumped on the gravy train). Like Eddie Fisher and Mickey Rooney. I love reading about the old days of moviemaking.

RIP, Tony. I’ve enjoyed so many of his movies, the good and the bad. “Yonder lies da castle…” one, where he’s wearing baby blue tights! And every time “Houdini” comes on, I drop everything to watch it. I’m sure TCM is going to pre-empt their schedule and show a lot of Tony Curtis movies in the days to come.

So if Hollywood deaths come in threes, we have Tony Curtis, Eddie Fisher, and…Arthur Penn just died.

I saw him on The Graham Norton Show on BBC America last year. He did look quite frail, but still had a sharp wit, and a rather randy sense of humor.

Godspeed, Tony.

Damn. RIP, Tony.

I wonder if they’ll dress him in drag for the funeral.

He was always one of my favorites, especially in *The Vikings *and The Great Race.

I also loved him as “Stony Curtis” on The Flintstones. Ironic that he should die on the fiftieth anniversary of the Flintstones debut.