If you use Viroxyn for cold sores, you'll wanna know...

that you can buy $9,800 worth of it for $7.

How?

Buy a bottle of Bactine.

Benzalkonium Chloride 0.13% <----- identical active ingredient in both.

Just make sure to rub, not dab, and you’ve saved yourself $14 per treatment.

And for those who suffer from cold sores and didn’t know about Viroxyn (Bactine), it’s a goddamn miracle drug. The INSTANT you even THINK you feel that tell-tale tingle, break it out and RUB it on the spot. Don’t dab, don’t gently moisten… RUB. RUB RUB RUB. The only thing Viroxyn has over Backtine is a handly little cotton thing like a cigarette filter that makes an excellent rool for rubbing it in, which is, by all accounts, very necessary for full effectiveness.

The earlier you catch it, the better your results. Since I started using it I have never again had a giant, oozing, nasty sore on my face. The BC pretty much stops it from getting very far and it becomes a couple of tiny discreet little scabs that go away in a day or two.

It’s great stuff, but it’s also $43 for three treatments. So I’m gonna be Bactine girl from now on…

I wonder how it helps herpes lesions? Looks to me like it’s just a disinfectant. I’ve never had the occasion to use such a treatment.

If you want to go really cheap, it looks like I can buy a kg of a random assortment of benzylalkyldimethylammonium chlorides for ~$130. Probably not use-on-people-grade though.

Would you use Bactine over Abreva?

Abreva is worthless, in my opinion and experience. This stuff is amazing. But again, it’s about making sure you get it early.

Thanks for the tip.

I have a two strand approach to dealing with cold sores (i.e. herpes simplex).

A Virulite and Zovirax (or a similar aciclovir containing preparation). Aciclovir is an antiviral drug (not a surface antiseptic) and the virulite stimulates an immune response. After I have used the virulite, I rarely get a repeat infection on that site, and I have had far fewer outbreaks. Both solutions have real research backing them up, and I would not want to use anything else. The virulite cost a bit initially but will last forever, and Zovirax is expensive, but the cheaper supermarket own brands are just as good for less cost.

Si

I haven’t had a cold sore in a long time, but how well do Q-tips work as applicators?

I just put straight rubbing alcohol on mine, from the first tingle. What is that - 89 cents?

Then, once the sore is gone and the scab remains, I go with a moisturizer to soften and heal the skin.