Facial and neck tattoos. Do they have problems finding jobs?

I see them more and more. Why are they suddenly popular?

Personally, I don’t give a crap. But I have to wonder… do people who get facial and neck tattoos have problems finding jobs?

Even though I couldn’t care less how a person decorates their body, I know that I could never hire someone with a facial, neck, and/or hand tattoo. But only because we work very closely with our customer base, and I know it would be off-putting to our customers.

I would imagine they do. Typically where I’ve seen that sort of thing outside of the entertainment industry is at record stores (which are rapidly going extinct) and auto repair shops. Even when I worked as a locksmith the shop I worked for made me wear long sleeves year-round because of a single tattoo on my forearm.

I saw a girl just the other day working at Subway with a tattoo on her neck behind her ear. She was quite pretty otherwise, but the tattoo kinda ruined it for me. I thought “yep, good way to ensure that you’re going to be working at Subway forever”.

I think it really depends on the company and what you will be doing for them. I work for a software company and when hiring programmers, tech support or QA (i.e. the people who never or rarely see a real live customer) our first criteria is attitude (which should be fun and possibly snarky), then knowledge (we can always teach them stuff).

How they look, assuming they don’t wear rags to the interview (which looking at my coworkers they could wear to work if hired), is moot.

However, most of my buds who are not in my industry have some pretty interesting dress codes (they have to look nice and stuff) where such things would probably not fly.

Why?

I work in insurance, which tends toward the more conservative. Several of our managers and at least one director have tons of tattoos. Included among them are at least one with full sleeves and neck work.

Because a large percentage of the population think they are silly, stupid, ugly, a sign of moral turpitude, or some combination of the above. I know I would never hire anybody with a visible tat, and a facial or neck tat would send the applicant out the door without even an interview. Personal opinion on tats goes both ways. Decorate yourself as you please, but don’t expect the rest of the world to respect your “individuality.”

I work in the arts, theatre to be specific. There are only two positions I can think of where they would be a big problem, actors and fund development. If they are dealing with big corporations asking for sponsorship we want to look as professional as possible, so anyone in fundraising should be able to cover tattoos. And well for an actor I think it is obvious.

Facial more a problem than neck. The neck is like arms these days - so common as to not be that unusual. The worse, from what friends have told me, are finger tats spelling out things like HATE and various derivatives of the F-bomb. Get those and plan your future in construction and like trades where gloves are always on.

My customer base consists of civilian and enlisted DoD engineers. 'Nuff said.

Personally, I think there is still a stigma to being tattooed, despite the likes of Angelina Jolie and whatshisname from ‘Lost’ (the Jack character) sporting theirs in movies and such.

We’re still a pretty conservative society in many respects, and I really don’t think that Big Companies, etc. are going to muck around with that concept any time soon.

Right or wrong, I suspect that having a visible tattoo seems to suggest that you aren’t very serious about being a professional or having a responsible career, and therefore won’t be of much worth to Big Company.

I always wanted a tattoo, so I got one eons ago, but it’s a very small rose low on the outside of my left ankle, and it isn’t very noticeable unless you’re looking for it. It never occurred to me to put one anywhere else and certainly not on my neck, arms or chest as I’ve seen on the street on ordinary, everyday folks.

I’ve also seen first-hand that at least in professional/semi-professional theater, you don’t see tattoos at all, which used to surprise me during my early days of it, given the creative bent of most perfomers. I’ve been told that directors don’t want them on their actors and dancers, and/or seeing the body paint to cover them up. YMMV.

What he said. I do have to appreciate people who pierce and tattoo their faces and necks for letting us know exactly who we’re dealing with, though.

As a teacher, I can tell you that it would be a problem.

Teacher’s can have tattoos, but not in highly visible places. Arms are even OK as long at it isn’t some elaborate huge thing, but face and all up the side of the neck are not OK. I’ve seen one lady with long hair have one on the back of her neck, but you couldn’t see it.

You know, I say this exact same thing about people in sweatpants, and I’m a snotty bitch. :dubious:
:wink:

Does this apply to Hawaiian shirts too?

Of course. But I can change my shirt. :smiley:

I work in construction. There are a fair number of general contractors and companies who really don’t want tattooed workers, especially those who work in the home remodeling market. Too many customers, especially the elderly, don’t want to see them on people who work in their home. As older folks are a good slice of the business this is sort of relevant to hiring decisions.

There are still plenty of restaurants that won’t hire someone with tattoos visible to customers. To her dying day if my mother saw a tattoo on a waiter she’d request a different server or leave the restaurant.

Folks may not get loud about it, but there are still many with a deep, deep prejudice against tattoos. If they see someone with a tattoo they’ll assume they’re criminal or a drug addict or both regardless of any other evidence to the contrary and regardless of how well done the work is.

Me personally - it’s your body. I find hand and facial tattoos gross, especially names scrawled on someone’s neck, but I’ll not say jack about it because it’s your body and none of my business. Tattoos elsewhere, if well done, I don’t care either way unless it’s obvious gang tattoos. Actually, if it’s really well done I might even really like it. I will say, though, that a salesperson with his kid’s names carved on his neck is going to have a harder time selling me stuff than someone who doesn’t because I’ll find that visible ink distracting at the very least, and possibly quite a turn off.

Yeah me too. When ever I see a woman with a neck tattoo I know I’m dealing with a very beautiful successful Hollywood actress like Jessica Alba.

Or a successful singer like Brittany Spears.

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/entertainment/britney-spears-spotted-with-neck-tattoos_100439109.html
Whenever I see a man with a neck tattoo I know I’m dealing with a successful rock musician and businessman like Tim Armstrong.

Thank god people have neck tattoos so I know who to get an autograph from.

I also appreciate people who put “cat” in their user names so I know who I’m dealing with.

I always wonder about the kids with the extreme face tattoos (like the guy who turned his head into a skull).

I’m not a parent, but if I was and my kid did that, I don’t think I’d ever get over it.

Classy. Looks like she was shot with a paintball gun.

I’ve worked in hotels and this in the past, has been a huge no-no. I’ve seen perfectly good candidates turned down because of it. Of course the “official reason” is “we went with another candidate.”

But it’s becoming more and more acceptable as tatoos are not “taboo” anymore :slight_smile:

In retail, I see lots of top managers with them. I’ve seen them in almost all public service jobs and in government jobs from Social Security office, to city of Chicago to the post office, all have workers with neck and face tatoos.

I worked in a computer store over the holidays and you could have a face tatoo but the men still couldn’t wear earrings :slight_smile: