Giving into cravings, no matter how bad for you

I just polished off a plate of four biscuits smothered in sausage gravy. I feel badly for doing this to myself, but it sure was good. I think I’ll be skipping dinner. Right after my nap.

I just had a Caramel Freddo (think Frappucino) from Peet’s. With the whipped cream. And the caramel drizzle on top. Totally worth it, and I probably won’t need another one for at least a month.

I hadn’t had fried french fries in years. I bake them when we grill out. Last week at the grocery store they had a BOGO sale on fries. Then, at a local outlet store I found a Fry Daddy for $10! I didn’t know they still made those things.

They were so crispy, greasy, and delicious. But afterward I felt like I had eaten a complete Thanksgiving dinner.

Definitional example:

We’d quit smoking for about two years. Then we went to Vegas for a week.
(Wearing the patch now.)

:frowning:

Ouch.

Claim Jumper restaurant has a cake dessert that is a 10 inch high 6 layer wedge.

Chocolate Motherlode Cake
Six decadent layers of chocolate cake and rich chocolate fudge icing topped with walnuts. Featured on the Food Network as one of America’s “Top 5 Most Decadent Desserts".

Yes, I ate the whole thing myself. After a complete prime-rib dinner, with salad bar.

Yes, I can be a right pig.

Would you like a mint sir?

Now this is why I’m actually glad sometimes that I’m allergic to nuts. I wouldn’t even be tempted by this. (Yes, I know you can probably scrape them off, but that’s a lot of trouble, and makes the whole thing unpleasant. And if I missed one piece, it could be off to the hospital for me!)
Roddy

I know that if I give in to the desperate cravings I have right now it will counter my attempts to control my PMDD solely through diet. I don’t want meds just to keep from feeling sobby/stabby. But it’s soooo difficult.
I want some friend chicken and I want it now.

I’ve been underweight most of my life. I don’t have cravings, which might be the difference.

We can find out where you live, you know.

That’s a really cute typo, given your reason for not giving in to cravings. :slight_smile:

My cravings are the reason why I bake things. I get into this “I want it, so I’m going to make it” mentality, and fifteen minutes later there’s a pan of brownies in the oven. My mom just showed me a bunch of recipes for slow-cooker desserts, and suddenly I’m in the mood for a fudgy, pudding-like chocolate cake.

I think I have a problem. A tasty, tasty problem.

I’ve had a craving for whole milk lately, I don’t know why but the other day I bought a gallon and drank it, in one day. Of course I didn’t really eat anything else that day, but that milk sure was good.

I am constantly battling cravings for acidic foods, particularly vinegar. Going all the way back to childhood, a favourite snack has been white onion in apple cider vinegar with copious amounts of salt. I’m currently on a low-sodium restriction on account of a kidney disease, but still can’t resist this snack. :\

There are some cravings that I just satiate to get it over with, and afterwards I don’t get the cravings again for a good long while. I’m not a big ice cream eater, but every couple of months I will, out of the blue, suddenly reaaallly want a milkshake, like RIGHT NOW, dammit. So I go get one and eat it, but the way it makes me feel when I’m done makes me not want to ever look at ice cream again, which is good…until a couple more months go by :slight_smile:

IMO it’s not the end of the world if you indulge a craving every now and then, because sometimes the craving will just go away once you get a taste of whatever it is you think you want. It’s when you make a habit out of eating stuff that’s bad for you that the problems start.

Waffer thin…

Chocolate, please!

Oh, and it HAS to be vanilla ice cream blended with chocolate syrup. Don’t make it out of chocolate ice cream, it’s just not the same.

My thinking is, aside from genuinely addictive drugs like nicotine, when you get a craving it’s your body’s way of telling you there’s something in that food that you need. Sometimes, of course, you can figure out what that something is and find a healthier food that will satisfy the craving, but sometimes you can’t figure it out, and sometimes what your body needs really is the fat or salt or whatever.