Looking for a book [about plants in KY] (edited title)

I hike quite a bit in Eastern Kentucky, and while I can identify some of the most important plants (Poison Ivy - got that one down!), I’d like to get better at identifying a lot of the trees and other plants I see.

So I looked up a book on Amazon… The only one that I could find that was Kentucky-specific was $68!

Ok, maybe Kentucky is too specific. Does anyone know what book it is I want? And where I can find it?

I did a little searching on Amazon, and I found the $68 book! I also found a few field guides specifically devoted to trees, or to wildflowers, or to edible plants, that might be good for at least some of what you want, but nothing that covers all trees and plants of Kentucky in a single volume.

If any of the local universities have their own presses, you might ask if someone has a booklet out for purchase. Or ask the botany department if they have any recommendations.

You probably don’t need something Kentucky-specific – look for “Southeastern US” or “Midatlantic” or similar. Check at your local bookstore, they’ll probably have something in the “nature” or “science” section that would be appropriate.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Wildflowers of Tennessee the Ohio Valley and the Southern Appalachians by Horn, Cathcart, Hemmerly, and Duhl(Lone Pine) is packed with color photos. Peterson Field Guides to Trees and Shrubs by George A Petridesmight help with the taller, shrubbier green things in your region.