Does anyone know the truth behind Desmond Harrington (Quinn on "Dexter") weight loss?

The actor Desmond Harrington, aka “Quinn” on Dexter, began the show looking healthy and strong. However, as the seasons progressed, he gradually began to lose weight. It was subtle at first, but became very exaggerated over the course of Season 5, to the point where he really looks absolutely horrible. He seems haggard and unhealthy; his cheeks are sunken in and his skin looks very unnatural, his posture has suffered, he just looks, for lack of a better word, sick.

Here you can see a side by side comparison. It’s pretty shocking, really.

The Internet is abuzz with speculation; from the Google autocomplete results alone, you can plainly see that many people are asking this same question. However, there is no definitive answer, only theories, ranging from drug addiction to cancer.

This kind of weight loss seems very unnatural and unhealthy. There has to be a reason for it. Does anyone have any idea?

I’ve noticed this too but I don’t know the reason. I’ve just googled but you’re right, there’s only speculation. Hope it’s nothing serious.

Could he be doing it for a movie role?

From the two photos, he still looks amazingly good. I have noticed that guy ever since “Dead Turn” (or Wrong Turn? the movie with three cannibals and a bunch of teenagers) was released. Always thought he’d make a very good Nick Fury.
Was kind of surprised he still didnt have a big movie role by the time I saw him in Dexter. He did take on a bit of weight over the years(the usual fat/not that good looking gym muscle combo that has become so common). So, maybe he’s trying to go back to his twenty something slim look, or he is sick.
From the pics, he doesnt really look like an addict. Havent seen the last Dexter seasons, from your description, it looks worse than what the “slim” photos would lead to think.
Between sick and addict, I would pick sick. Maybe Dexter is a cursed show.

Maybe he’s on the Alton Brown Diet.

It doesn’t look like a diet…it’s not like he was overweight. He looks ill, especially like a cancer of some kind, i.e. possibly Aids even… It’s too dramatic too fast. If he hasn’t seen a doctor, he probably should.

He’s on the Alton Brown diet?

I don’t want to rudely speculate that he has a drug problem or an eating disorder, but I agree that he looks very unhealthy.
In a podcast he addressed these rumors and said that he had simply been eating better and running.
I hope for his sake that it was true, but one has to wonder why he would continue on a strict diet and workout schedule if it leaves him looking gaunt and sickly.
As an actor, wouldn’t he intend on toning up and gaining muscle rather than simply losing weight?
Proper nutrition, such as eating the right amount of protein, keeps you from losing lean tissue when you lose fat. During weight loss it is common for about 15% of what you lose to be lean tissue, but that can be reduced or avoided altogether with the right foods and supplements. Desmond can afford the best trainers and nutritionists, so I am certain he would be given the right tools to keep himself looking fit rather than sick.
As a fan, I am really just concerned.

So, you chose to revive a moribund thread with your very first post.

I’m pretty sure the people he works for have an interest in keeping him healthy. He does look a bit gaunt in the picture above, but hardly like an AIDS or cancer patient.

When you watch the show, his gauntness is very startling. He looks alarmingly unhealthy. Considering the nature of the show, I can’t believe he hasn’t been killed off.

How the hell does this has 68K views and 9 posts?

I know right? How dare she? Only long time posters with 5000+ posts are allowed to resurrect zombies. The nerve of some people. Posting on message boards. What is the world coming to?

Probably from all the people google searching about this guy losing weight last year and seeing this thread.

Theres nothing wrong with him. He was a little chubby, and then he finally got toned. Why do people always think other people have an eating disorder when they finally start eating right and exercising. Is it jealousy? Do people not want to give up their gross eating habits? Quinn looks hot now. I’m glad he lost his baby fat and got into shape. I dont know whats wrong with everyone else.

You can’t insult people here, jgunnink2. Don’t do this again, please.

I’m more curious about why he turned orange than why he got overly thin.

I googled more pictures. Before, he looked fine, and healthy, but was clearly carrying some extra body fat. His cheeks and neck look chubby in some shots, and it ages him.

Now, he looks thinner - like he lost 20-30 lbs, and much of it body fat. But not ill in the least, just lean, and perfectly healthy. Also much younger. He has bone structure that really emphasizes the change, though.

It could be illness, drug problems, an eating disorder, or he just could have started exercising more and eating a diet that allows him to get leaner.

It would probably help if you pointed out to him(her) exactly what part of the post was an insult. (I know it would help me, cuz I’m not seein an insult so much as just slight jerkishness).

Yeah I was confused about that. I definitely didn’t insult anyone. Would you care to explain, moderator?

Desmond Harrington has agreed to go on a hunger strike until the question is answered.

17 comments and 135K views? What happened there?

StG