Who is this cartoon figure?

Ok I have been looking for this cartoon to no avail-
He is a wolf featured on droopy cartoons-I am pretty sure he was supposed to be a confederate soldier- Anyone know his name? And he was always whistling this toon- same toon evrycartoon he was featured in- I can think of two. One was where droopy was a shepard and the wiolf was trying to steal the sheep( i think) and the other was the wolf was a school teacher and the students were little droopys that were really bad kids- anyone know what i am talking about?

He is Wolf…or “The Wolf”

Tex Avery used him as the heavy in several cartoons of Droopy as the face off for “the babe” in her several forms (Red Hot Riding Hood, Pocohantes, the Princess). He changed over the years starting as “The Wolf” the cad who chased Red Hot Riding Hood but in later years he was reformed into the one you described, the confederate-hat wearing Southern wolf who eternally whistled “Dixie” and had a Alabama drawl.

Tex loved the wolf and used him all during his work at MGM. Nowadays, it is hard to get a complete Avery cartoon as much of his humor was adult based and had hilarious hidden references and somewhat crude humor. Sometimes PC becomes a bit too much.

Here is a link that will help you along

http://www.cli.fr/Philippe/avloup.en.htm

Believe it or not, this exactly question was discussed about six months ago in this thread. I think the consensus was that the song was called “Kingdom Coming” or “The Year of Jubilo”, and can be found as the background music for this page.

thanks- is that song really dixie? wow I guess i didn’t know the tune all along lol- someone told me it was dixie but it didn’t sound like it to me- thanks for the replys :slight_smile:

Ok never mind It is kigdom coming :slight_smile: I misread the last post :slight_smile:

There were two wolves, Heath. The first one was a bit more urbane, as seen in “Red Hot Riding Hood”, and didn’t have a Southern Drawl. The Southern Wolf only appeared in 2 Avery cartoons, “The Three Little Pups” and “Billy Boy.” I think the reason people think he was around longer was due to the fact that he was voiced by Daws Butler; Butler later used a similar sounding voice for Huckleberry Hound.

Yes I know there were two versions of the wolf…created by the same team of animators.
Notice what I said:
He changed over the years starting as “The Wolf” the cad who chased Red Hot Riding Hood but in later years he was reformed into the one you described, the confederate-hat wearing Southern wolf who eternally whistled “Dixie” and had a Alabama drawl.

And yes, I was wrong. The guess for the song he whistles is not “Dixie” but another.

Yes they are different. But Tex called both “Wolf” and as I said, they were there to play the heavy for Droopy.

The best one was the Cinderella cartoon where Cinderella is a HHHHHOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTT chick who goes to perform at a night club. She performs the song “Oo, Wolfie” (“Ooo, Wolfie, oo, Wolfie, ain’t you the one?”) All the time, of course, the Wolf is trying to get it on with her. At the end, she realizes it’s midnight, so she runs away, leaving her shoe. You see her run into her house, then she comes back out wearing a factory-worker’s outfit and carrying a welder’s mask (remember, this is during WW II when lots of women were working in armament factories). She barely makes it onto the bus, and says “Whew, thank heavens I lost that wolf!” At which point every other passenger on the bus turns around and turns out to be a wolf. They all say together “That’s what you think, sister! Awhoooooooo!!!”

Very funny, but even funnier, I think, written on a message board. I think the same song (and the same night club footage) gets used in Red Hot Riding Hood.

Ah, “Billy Boy”, true cartoon greatness. The one where he gets a ravenous, omnivorous billy goat, right? Had one of my favorite scenes ever: the wolf offers something (can’t remember what) to the goat, who eats it and continues to eat its way up the wolf’s arm to the shoulder. The wolf, looking only mildly put out, says, “Hey, Billy.” The goat pauses and looks at him. Wolf says, “Break it up, son.”

DAMN, that cracks me up.

Heath–I was trying to dis you, but just wanted to point out that the two characters were different, despite their shared animators and appearance. The “Red Hot Riding Hood” wolf was very energetic (to say the least!), while the “Threee Little Pups” wolf was very laconic. Tex Avery did work on the two Dixie wolf cartoons, but he shared directorial duties with Michael Lah.

I mean, I WASN’T trying to dis you. Sorry, still haven’t had my coffee…

There was also “Sheep Wrecked”, which had the southern wolf in it, and was the one I mentioned when I started that earlier thread. A little research turns up “Blackboard Jumble”, which I don’t specifically remember, but is also claimed to feature the southern wolf. Both of those are credited as directed by Michael Lah, and don’t mention Tex Avery in the credits, however. I think those two, plus two already mentioned may be the only appearances of the southern wolf.

The Cinderella one was titled “Swing Shift Cinderella”.

There was also the goofy “hick” wolf that was a cousin to the urban sophisticate wolf, in a cartoon that allows yet another variation of the nightclub scene, with the urban sophisticate wolf restraining the hick wolf when he goes crazy over the nightclub singer (and the roles get reversed when the urban one patronizingly delivers the hick back out to the country and gets a load of the buck-toothed jail-bait hanging out on the porch of the shack). Title?

It was “Little Rural Riding Hood” (1949).

Is it just me, or did the wolf that he turned into as we were (er, he was) drooling over Cameron Diaz in the night club have more than a passing resemblance to Avery’s “Wolf?”

It was more than a resemblance. It was a homage to Tex and his wolf. After all, the kinetic cartoonish quality of Stanely Ipkiss with the Mask on did mirror Tex’s cartoons

And I know you were not trying to diss me. But you are half-right about Michael Lah (he co directed only 2 with Tex - Cellbound and Millionare Droopy). He was one of the principal animators in a lot of Tex’s films most of the time. The ones we have discussed were directed by Tex exclusively.

Not only is the wolf the MASK turns into at the club an homage to Avery, but Ipkiss actually has a video of the wolf. I don’t know if it’s Red Hot Riding Hood, but before he tries the mask on for the first time, he comes home and turns on his VCR. He laughs at the wolf howling until his landlady hollers at him to turn the damn thing off. This scene is then played out at the club.