Garage door opener malfunction

My garage door opener, when activated by either the switch or the wireless control the motor starts and either opens or closes the door, depending upon the starting position. So far so good, however when the door reaches the open or closed position and the cut-out switch is hit the motor nevertheless continues to run. The switch is clean and the contacts properly connect however the motor continues to run and this eventually burns through the belt. With the belt off, the motor continues to run and after a minute or so the capacitor begins to heat up and emit smoke. If one hits the wall or remote switch again the motor will stop and start on command. With the motor running, I have even removed the wires to the cut out switch and crossed them without any effect whatsoever. How might the cause and solution to the problem be pinpointed and resolved?

This is better suited to our General Questions forum than ATMB.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

When all else fails, in this case your garage door opener, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS***!***
They should be available online for most makes and models. Usually an easy adjustment to stop the motor when the door is shut with the proper stress or load on it and a limit switch at the open position.

you need to check if the wire to the limit switches is good from the switches to the control board on the inside of the opener unit. unplug the opener unit. then check that the limit switch action shows up on the control board. make sure the unit is unplugged and do a continuity/resistance check on the wire.

letting the belt burn or parts smoke is abusive and bad for the unit and future safety.

repairs to the controller board would take electronics know how.

until it is fixed, mechanically disconnect and open manually or at least use the electric opener and stop manually with the switch.

My guess is that the motor is controlled by a relay and it is sticking. If so. you may need to replace the board. That would also correct any faults in the logic.

Those little relays are cheap. You should be able to find at least a work alike at Radio Shack. wwww.mouser.com should have an exact replacement.

There really is no need to be insulting. If the solution were to be found in READING THE INSTRUCTIONS there would have been no need to reach out for a solution in a public forum.