Is this PayPal/SDMB thing legit or phishing?

I have a PayPal account that, as far as I can recall, has only been used to pay my SDMB subscription. I got this email:

"So we can continue providing you with your account information electronically please provide your consent to our Electronic Communications Delivery Policy. Log in to your PayPal account and follow the steps below.

Hello xxxxxxxxxxx,

PayPal is updating the way we send you your account information. Please agree to our Electronic Communications Delivery Policy today. This ensures that we can continue providing you with your account information electronically, including transaction receipts, account statements, and annual disclosures."

And so on and so forth.

What’s going on here?

It a phish. If you check the url on mouseover, it doesn’t go to paypal.com, but e.paypal.com.

Totally bogus. Delete it. Paypal will never contact you by email. They only contact you by message when you log in.

Are you sure that it is e.paypal.com? If so, that’s just a subdomain, so I’m not sure how this particular phishing method would work. If it’s something like e-paypal.com, epaypal.com, e.paypal.com.something.com etc., then sure.

By the way, I’ll agree that that message smells fairly phishy. I’m just confused on how that would work if the domain is actually what silenus stated.

e-something. I checked it and deleted it because as I noted Paypal never contacts anyone by email. Ever.

Yes, if it is e-paypal.com, that’s likely someone phishing. e.paypal.com, on the other hand, should be completely legit.

Oslo Ostragoth, if there are links in the email to “login” or “accept”, etc., then probably a phishing attempt. If it just directs you to log onto paypal yourself, without any links to “help” you get there, probably legit.

Legit or not, you won’t get in trouble by going to the site on your own(no link clicking) and login as you usually do.

I don’t know where you got this idea; PayPal contacts people by e-mail all the time for various reasons, such as when they’ve received a payment.

if it’s legit and you need to do something then when you log on to PayPal it will give you a message saying you need to do something.

BS. Paypal is actually asking for permission to do exactly that. If you’re paranoid, instead of following any links in the e-mail, just type www.paypal.com into a new browser window and sign on. Lo and behold, you’ll get a request to approve electronic document delivery.

Y’know, so Paypal has your permission to contact you by e-mail. But you don’t have to take my word for it:

It’s legit. Go to Paypal.com manually, and they’ll ask you the same thing.

BTW, e.paypal.com is their email sending server.

Yes they do, all the time.

Yep, I get emails from PayPal too.

What they don’t do is provide links in emails, so any email that asks you to click on a link to log in is bogus. But send emails? Of course they do.

It’s possibly a scam. I got this email too, complete with link to click. Only, I didn’t get it to the email address I use with PayPal. When I went to paypal.com and logged in manually, I got;

So it could be legit, or it could be phishers knowing paypal sent out an update and they’re playing on that.

And they always address you by your PayPal user name, not some ambiguous, “Dear PayPal User:”

I sit corrected.

But this one is a phish, because it’s to “Paypal user,” not whatever my name is on Paypal. And it’s sent to my Hotmail account, which isn’t the one I use for Paypal. So I was right that it was bogus, just for the wrong reason.

Just like normal. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Shakester;14099820
What they don’t do is provide links in emails, so any email that asks you to click on a link to log in is bogus. But send emails? Of course they do.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean. All my Paypal receipts and shipment notices have hotlinks in them.

Yours was a phish, but I got the same e-mail the OP describes with my name.

Yes they do.

If you’re worried - and you have Chrome as your browser - then when you go to the website just look in the address bar. It says (with a green box around it) the name of the company, and shows that it is indeed a secure connection to the website you actually intended to go to.

Another reason I like Chrome.

Glad you like Chrome but Firefox 3+ does this, as does IE 8+. As long as the site you’re on is a secure site.