Arm in sling for 6 months - how to prepare?

What should I do to prepare for having my arm in a sling for up to 6 months (24/7 mandatory except showers), then part time thereafter?

My rotator cuff needs work and they’re telling me to expect to have to wear it 4 to 6 months day and night. My lower arm, and my other arm, are fine. This is my NON-dominant arm.

I bought a recliner and some shirts that button closed, and have been practicing doing things one-handed (which I have tended to do for a while as it got worse anyway). My car is an automatic. I am trying to figure out rearranging my pockets but might rely on the sling to hold my cellphone. We’re going to get one of those little lap desks so I can use my laptop, which they tell me I can do as long as it’s down low.

What else should I do? Any conveniences I should buy? Any other advice?

Thanks!

My father has rotator cuff surgery on his right (non-dominate) shoulder about two weeks ago. He’s in a sling, and didn’t have too much trouble with it for the first week* or so. I’ll probably be talking to him later today - I’ll ask if he has any specific advice.

If you don’t feel too foolish, try wearing a sling (or mock one up with a pillow case or ace bandage) for a bit to see when it gives you trouble.

• I absolutely do NOT recommend you do what he did…namely, get up in the middle of the night, pass out, and fall down. Dislocate a finger on the left hand, which means he now can’t really use either side. Plus other misc. injuries that don’t apply to this thread. The point is, be a little extra careful.
    -D/a

Comfortable loafers.

A pancho might come in handy as the weather gets colder and wetter.

Man, six months … I would be having to carry a tripod everywhere for my camera.

A wheeled briefcase, maybe, for all the day to day business stuff.

(shoulder/arm/hand issues Doper here)
Ask for a referral to a physiotherapist who can set you up with shoulder-sparing exercises to retain as much arm, hand, and core strength and mobility as possible. That will minimize later physiotherapy work when you are recovered.

Expect balance issues, as well. Not having sensory input from all four limbs affects this. Some stuff you do standing up, such as dressing, you may find easier sitting down.
Take a look at computer adaptions for mobility/dexterity issues:

There are lots of gadgets for assistance in dressing, kitchen work, etc. I’d recommend clamps that hold things for you. There are a lot of tasks that you do with one hand, but with that hand relying on the other hand to hold something in place.

Arthritis is the commonest disability for which this stuff is marketed, so maybe include that term in any googling you do.
Allow extra time for everything. Think about how you are going to do things before doing them.

Being on autopilot, or rushing things, can result in minor injuries that delay recovery, or frustrating mess-ups that end up with a task taking longer than if you had taken more time up front.

As FeAudrey mentioned, I would be concerned about losing muscle strength and mobility in the arm you aren’t using… See what you can do to exercise that arm without interfering with your shoulder rehab.

Have you considered headsets for your cell phone and landline (if you have one)?

Do you have a wheely cart you could use for transporting things you normally might have transported with two arms? For example groceries from the car, a full laundry basket, etc)

Have you practiced getting up and down from various chairs at home and at work with one hand, or no hands? Don’t want to sit down somewhere and find yourself stuck!

Not a doc, but are you SURE you need the surgery? I’ve heard stories of people avoiding rotator cuff surgery with just the right physical therapy.

Question… Will the rotator cuff surgery inhibit your ability to use your hand or fingers in any way?

Upper arm strength and mobility will be your major issues IMO.

I incurred a crushed wrist (left, non-dominant) which necessitated 4 pins and a plate w/screws to put it all back together. :eek:
I had to have a cast that prevented me from flexing my elbow. (picture, lower arm at 90 degree angle to torso) Consequently, my upper arm movement was also restricted to a degree. After the removal of the long cast, I was very surprised at the pain in my upper arm, just below the shoulder. The lack of strength and limited mobility was a major issue for quite a few months, afterward.
All of that was from simply not moving it, for an extended length of time.

You’re in for a long, mentally trying (trieing?) and physically tiring, recovery process. :frowning:

I wish you all the best, and a speedy recovery. :slight_smile:
(And I hope that you have others that will be able to assist you, you willl need it, especially, at first.)

When I tore my rotator cuff, I was on my own without health insurance.

One of the things I learned was that accidentally rolling onto that shoulder while asleep was not a good thing to do. To prevent doing it, I used an Ace Bandage to attach a tennis ball to that side of my torso before going to bed. I also found shoes that I could get my feet into without tying laces.

A year later, when I had enough range of motion to do some limited weight work with the arm, it didn’t take too long for the strength to come back - probably 6 months. But it was many years before the shoulder itself felt 100% better. I hope, and expect, that your recovery with surgery goes better than mine without.

If the sling prevents you from using both hands to type, then configure your computer to use one of the Dvorak one-handed keyboard layouts. It will take you a couple of weeks of practice, but after this you will find you can type remarkably quickly, and moreover without having to move your hand very much, as the most commonly used letters will be under your fingertips.

This is way interesting. I will look. Any other advice on where to find the stuff, or which gadgets are most useful?

I was already picturing a gadget that mounts to the wall, and has a foot pedal. There are maybe 3 or 4 little clamps sticking out at different heights including belt height. When you step on the pedal, it closes the clamps. If I found such a thing for sale I’d buy it.

In answer to other questions -

First, yeah, I really need the surgery. The shoulder’s been bad for years but has gotten worse lately We tried PT and injections, in fact gave it extra time because of scheduling difficulties for surgery. I probably put it off too long as it is. Now having my arm lifted only works slooooowly, like over half a minute, and there’s no way I can do it by its own muscles.

I have physical therapists I really like. In fact, they are the ones that recommended this surgeon, along with my GP. I will be working with them for exercises both before and after the sling.

The surgeon tells me I will be able to use my hand for things like typing and light holding. I am encouraged to exercise my hand and to flex my arm at the elbow (I’m uncertain how that works with the sling but figure I will understand once I’m in it).

Balance issues are scary. It didn’t occur to me. I already have balance issues, both Meniere’s and also some spinal damage and a partly paralyzed foot. Plus we have stairs. I’m going to have to be most thoughtful about that one.

I sure do appreciate all the things folks are bringing up. Lots of great stuff here, much of which I didn’t think of. Thanks!!

Try to master buckling your belt and zipping your pants one handed first; it’s the things like that that teach you how much you’ve learned to depend on having two functional hands. Loafers are a very good thing, as someone said. Putting on a pair of socks one handed will be difficult; I can’t imagine dealing with a pair of gloves.

I found Walgreen’s to be a good source for “gadgets” for a lot of uses.

Don’t know about your specific region, but generally speaking, some charities collect used but still working gadgets from people who needed them only short-term and donate them to people who can’t afford them; maybe you could talk to them, since you know that unlike an arthritis sufferer, you will need the gadgets only for a limited time.

I broke my wrist on my dominant hand and, because of the bone that was fractured, it required a full length cast from the tip of my thumb to my armpit for 6 months. At least in your case, it’s your non-dominant hand and you’ll have some use of your hand.

My advice is to start practicing doing everyday things with just one hand. There’s tons of things that you probably use 2 hands for and don’t even realize how difficult it will be with just one, like tying your shoes, buttoning your shirt, etc.

I had my left hand in a full cast for 4 weeks and a short one for 7 weeks.

The first thing is to get some elastic waistband pants.

If you like to read but don’t have an e-reader, it might be a good time to get one. It’s much easier to hold with one hand than a book. (My sister has a new baby, so she’s often got only one hand free, and she finds it a godsend.)

I had this surgery (completely torn supraspinatus tendon) a couple of years ago and was also told I’d have to have my arm in a sling for 6 months. When I went for my two week post-op visit and asked if I had to wear that thing 24/7, he told me no. I never put it back on again and I think not babying it completely actually speeded up my progress. I’m not suggesting you do that w/o your surgeon’s approval but don’t be afraid to ask.

As others have said, elastic-waist pants & slip-on shoes are very helpful. I also bought the button up shirts (pajama tops, actually) but it didn’t take long before I learned there’s another way to take off a shirt over your head (put the bad arm hand on the fridge or something and pull on the back of the collar/neckhole). Who knew? Still not the easiest thing to do with a bad shoulder but it works.

Putting on coats: Put the sleeve on the bad arm. Use the good arm to put the hand of the bad arm on the wall at enough of an angle to hold the sleeve on there until you can get the good arm sleeve on.

Ask your doctor or pharmacist if the meds you’ll be taking will cause constipation. You may need a laxative.

It took a good year and a half before my shoulder felt at least 90% all the time. When your shoulder does feel better, be careful about not overdoing it. After mine felt better I lifted something that was too heavy and strained all the surrounding muscles that were compensating for the weak ones and it took a good three weeks to recover from that.

The biggest thing I’m having done is removal of a 1 by 2.5 cm wad of calcium in this same tendon. If we’re lucky the tendon does not need to be severed but they’re hinting that it will be, and they’ll reattach it with some kind of little implant. That’s the deciding factor in the 4-6 mos. thing.

I don’t think I would be as brave as you with it, though.

So, what’s the deal with shirts? I already can’t lift my arm well, and I wear pullover shirts all the time. I slide them up my arm and fish my head through to put them on, and grab the collar in back to pull it over my head and drop the shirt down the arm to take it off. Maybe this is what I will be doing here?

FWIW, a friend of mine had rotator cuff surgery 2 1/2 months ago. He was told beforehand it would be five months before he had full use and range of motion of that shoulder. At his last doctor’s appointment, two weeks ago, he was told he did not need to wear the sling full-time, just when he felt more comfortable with it on. He has limited range of motion and can’t hold anything heavier than a loaf of bread. Not saying his experience and yours would be identical, just that maybe you won’t be quite as restricted for quite as long as they’re estimating at this point.

For my friend, it’s been pretty frustrating to do things one-handed. I’m sure he wishes he had had your foresight. His wife has been a huge help. You don’t live alone, do you? That would be tougher.

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery!