Terminator 2 tries too hard to be funny at the wrong times

They stuck in Arnold saying “I’ll be back” in a lame way. It was way cooler in Terminator 1. Even other of Arnold movies did the line better. But the biggest offender is when the Terminator says “I need a vacation.” That is totally a line Arnold would say, but it makes no sense for the Terminator to say it then.
I like T3, but I hear a lot of complaints against it. One complaint is that it turns the Terminator character into a joke, but I think T2 also makes too many jokes. Not that all jokes are bad, but the “I need a vacation line” is too close to the poignant ending.

You’re fixating on one throwaway line to the detriment of the rest of the movie. Terminator 2 was a great film. It’s a solid movie that also doubles as a great action and popcorn flick.

I always thought it was to show how much John Connor’s sarcasm had rubbed off on him. John spends a lot of time teaching the Terminator his mannerisms (hi-fives, hasta la vista, chill-out…dickwad).

I think it helps show the humanizing of the Terminator, which is a large part of the movie.

I still think it is a great movie and I love it. But some things just still seem odd to me. But I guess it does make sense that he learned sarcasm from John

This.

It’s meant to be awkward and kind of out of place. He’s learning, but the constraints of his processors mean that he still doesn’t get the right social cues for the various lines, and it comes out stilted and just wrong-seeming.

It’s a great movie, but not a perfect one. My number one beef has always been that it’s much too funny.

The only thing about that “I need a vacation” line is that we never saw him hear it. He didn’t sit down and watch TV at any point, so where did he pick it up from? Terminators are well capable of deductive reasoning but they have to be exposed to something first because they have no imaginations. For example in T3 the T-X inflates her boobs because she sees a giant billboard with a big-breasted model on it.

However, the humor in T3 was way too much on the parody side. Arnie needs a leather outfit but we can’t have him trash another biker bar so… let’s have him interrupt a ladies night instead! That’ll be hilarious! He needs sunglasses so let’s have him pick up some of those Elton John star-shaped ones! A terminator acting dumb because he’s socially inept! And to give it some balance let’s have our female terminator have an orgasm when she tastes John Connor’s blood! Because you know, that shit excites them!

(I did like T3 personally but I’m not above admitting it has weak spots)

T2 is an entertaining action film, but its not a patch on T1. Its just a cash-in, done well (for no other reason than that Arnold had to be the hero, even though it doesn’t really make sense)

It insists on itself.

Not a fan?

It’s no Money Pit.

You owe me a keyboard.

I don’t think a few Schwarzenegger one liners are big deal in a movie that has a lot larger issues. I’m talking about John Connor and what massive asshole he is. This little dickwad is supposed to be the saviour of humanity?! I’ll rather join with the robots.

At the start of the film, sure. It was his time with a cyborg that taught him… how to be humane.

I need a vacation.

oh boy… It’s called character development.

What, you preferred the John Connor in T3?

I just don’t get where John Connor draws the line at. It’s perfectly fine to steal $300, but killing people is going too far (even if, by killing a few people now, you can prevent a war which would cause billions of deaths later).

Pretty sure there’s a fairly thick line between the two. Unless this is a joke, then ha.

yeah but you just can’t go around stealing.