Is there ANYTHING that eats roaches?

Seriously, do roaches have any natural predators? :confused:

I mean, other than the occasional curious cat, I can’t think of anything that preys upon cockroaches as a source of food.
For that matter, all of the times that I’ve witnessed a cat catching a roach, it seemed to be more of the, “Look, I found something to play with, then torture and maybe kill.”:wink: kind of predation. As opposed to actually catching and killing, then eating it kind of action.

Centipedes. I’ve lived in my place 20 years and never seen a roach. But I do see the occasional centipede that has inadvertently found its way into my living space.

As much as I hate centipedes, I allow them to roam because I know they take care of everything else that lives behind the walls.

But you need to have the right environment for them to be happy living behind your walls. I think they require a somewhat moist earthy place to bed-down. If you live in the top floor of a tall apartment building, you might not be able to count on centipedes.

And a health plan that includes podiatry.

Centipedes! Why did it have to be…centipedes!

Chickens, at least according to Bryce Courtenay and Grandpa Chook

OK, so not so much a natural predator, but fish will eat roaches. I’ve caught lots of bream, and a few bass with roaches for bait.

People also catch fish using pieces of plastic & metal as bait, but that doesn’t mean fish would actually eat them.

Tropical jewel wasp, sorta.

Um…when you catch a fish using traditional hook and line, the fish bites whatever you are using to conceal the hook, ie, the bait. I suppose on some planet a fish may bite something as an expression of solidarity with the universe, but here on Earth, fish bite things they are trying to eat. Ergo, I reason that fish will, in fact, eat roaches when such are available to be eaten.

How does a centipede catch anything?

Badgers, and other insectivores.

Geckos.

Leapin’ Lizards!

They scuttle like the wind and have venomous pincers.

Roaches. They’re cannibalistic.
I knw this because a floormate of mine once put a bunch of roaches in a jar with nothing else (our dorm was overrun with roaches). After a few days, there were fewer roaches in the jar.

This is true. A co-worker of mine raises geckos, and their main food is roaches.
He has an extreme amount of roaches in one of those laundry basket sized tupper-ware containers, and they are pretty self regulating. When they get noticeably less dense, he’ll throw in half a watermelon or similar for them to eat instead of each other.

When I was a kid I had a pet rat that we kept in a cage in the garage. Occasionally so-called “water bugs”–i.e., the large American cockroaches–would squeeze their way into Ralph’s cage. Ralph considered them extra protein.

What about birds? I think most birds will eat any insect they can find. For that matter, they are probably edible by humans (and other primates).

Holy sh-t! That wasp has quite the talent for neurosurgery!

Well said, Sir!